Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just started the game a couple of days ago and about to get my 5th character. Do characters outside of your party gain experience passively or will I have to grind them up whenever I swap them in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Sadly they do not gain EXP if they're not in the party. They catch up quick, though, so you shouldn't have to actually grind, just bring them along and they'll catch up. Gear is more important than levels anyway, really.

For reference, I never had to grind at all except when I wanted to get to really high levels for the optional superboss (and even then it was about 15-20 minutes of metal slime-equivalent hunting and I was done). I ended up somewhat overleveled just playing normally.

Nice, not really going to worry about it then.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It is to my great disappointment that I have learnt that summoning beasts is an Ochette-only thing rather than for any hunter, but I have managed to get full type coverage even without her big boar friend.

Currently running:
Temenos/no subjob, should try and pick one up for him eventually
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Inventor
Agnea/Hunter

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I eventually ended up with this setup:

Temenos/Scholar
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Inventor
Ochette/Dancer

I learnt the hilarity that can ensue from Beguiling Grace when I managed to lock myself out of items halfway through Throne's chapter 2 boss fight.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Once I finish the stories of my A-team and swap to my B-team of Castti/Partitio/Agnea/Hikari, what subjobs should I try out on them? There's Partitio/Dancer mentioned above and I heard that Castti goes well with /Warrior thanks to her high strength stat, anything else pop out for the other two? Maybe I should hunt down the three not-Inventor subjobs to see what they can do.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks for all the tips, hopefully I can internalise them by my next play session lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

What's a good subjob for Osvald? I can't help but think that my current filler choice of Merchant is suboptimal for an Osvald I'm running like a main dps (though I might start running Ochette as one instead and use Osvald as a breaker).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've now found all 8 guilds so I can mess around more with subjobs. Did a bit of rearranging and this is what I'm rolling with now:

Temenos/Scholar
Osvald/Merchant
Throne/Dancer
Ochette/Warrior

So now I have 1 strong physical DPS and 1 strong magical one, a healer/backup magic DPS and a support/backup phys DPS. Should work out pretty well I think.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I dunno if anyone else has run into the same bug on PC, but I noticed during the combined Throne/Temenos quest chapter 1 that Temenos's voice acting was a lot quieter than normal compared to his solo quest. I actually had to listen closely to hear it above the BGM. Throne's voice was a normal volume still, it was just Temenos's voice along with an NPC that was weirdly quiet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I imagine it's because some of the lines were recorded during COVID and so they were done at home studios.

That would explain it, glad I'm not going crazy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I found a door in the desert that is asking me to be alone. Is there even a way to set up a solo party? Is it a good idea to check this out at lvl 24 main character, or come back later?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Also, when you do return to that solo dungeon, make sure to bring a skill that breaks a shield without hitting weaknesses to save some headaches.

My main guy is Temenos so I should be fine on that front :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Spent 100k on a ship just to find out that I'm not high-level enough to actually sail the seas safely lol

Game rules.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Temenos needs the Merchant license for a bit so that I can get the insta-latent passive, so I guess Osvald gets to rock the thief plunging neckline a bit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mega64 posted:

JP is universal, so you can immediately switch to Merchant, get skills until you get the passive you need, then switch right back to whatever.

Good point, I keep forgetting that lol

Thief Osvald's kinda got it going on though...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yeah this was the game I've played this year that most gave me this feeling. I knew in my heart it was something really special because when I finished it I was simultaneously sad it was over and very satisfied with the journey I'd had. The best way to end a long RPG.

Really loved this game a whole lot

That's how I felt after I finished FF16 so I'm looking forward to getting smacked by that again by the time I finish Octo2.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I tried to gently caress with the shark.

I learnt not to gently caress with the shark.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm still on chapter 2-3 for most stories so I look forward to when I can click on those spoilers :)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Every time I fight against human enemies I try to set them on fire because hey, whom among us isn't weak to fire

To be fair I am also quite weak to frostbite or being struck by lightning. Spears as well, funnily enough.

I am immune to arrows though, take that Achilles.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Me: my party's lvl 33 on average, I can handle this lvl 34 recommended cave in the wildlands. See, I'm tearing through all the mobs in here!

Boss: Blasts out foul breath first thing and then I realise that my ailment management options are few and far between.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I remember trying the TS demo on the Switch and immediately switching the VA to Japanese after I heard the MC talk despite normally playing games in English if there's the option. Glad to know it gets better later, I'll give it another shot once I actually own the game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Osvald's chapter 4 boss was kinda a doozy, huh.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

When it's time to level up my B-team, would y'all recommend doing them as a low-level quartet of their own or should I just powerlevel them one by one with 3 beefy A teamers? I assume the second option is faster but you never know.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I kept everyone around the same level despite the mandatory leader. Though going off the strategies I remember using, if you've got them all at a low level and you have either Cassti or Agnea you should be able to melt any random encounters for easy XP anyway, with One Step Ahead/BP Boost/that instant Latent Power one passives for both, some mixing for Cassti + her Latent Power or Inventor's Divine Skill + Agnea's Latent Power. This is to make sure your team always starts with full BP, HP and SP.

Yeah my B team is Cassti/Partitio/Agnea/Hikari so that's doable. What can I say, I'm an East Continenter.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm starting to grok how to make my Warrior Ochette into an unstoppable powerhouse which is fun. Casual 14k facetear on turn 2 if speed lines up right. Also if Beguiling doesn't turn all my buffs into debuffs like it did that one time...

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hey uh I just found that side dungeon boss with the petrify that people were talking about.

Why isn't there a save point in front of its arena???

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm at the point where I'm at the final chapters for all 4 of my TOOT folks, with an average level of 46 or so. Will probably go Osvald first because I want to punch Harvey in his slimy face. I am learning the joys of feeding BP into Ochette as much as possible so that I can throw out 14k Hunter's Fangs/Brand's Blades every turn. I'm definitely feeling the hurt on her small SP pool when it comes to using BBs though.

I'm going to guess that these second EX skills unlock from finishing character storylines?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you have the Conjurer Job yet? It has a passive skill to halve SP costs...

Not yet, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, Harvey's rear end: kicked. He was kind of a chump, TBH, but it didn't help him that Armsmaster Osvald is actually kinda cracked. 2 Ice boosting weapons + the stupidly strong staff bash skill. I was trying to get the dramatic last hit on Harvey with The One True Magic but I messed it up and killed him with a random beast move from Ochette that I picked by accident. I guess it's fitting that a loser like him gets an anticlimactic death like that.

Next up, Temenos! (After I hunt down some harder-hitting weapons, that is)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mustard Iceman posted:

Have you got the Librarian's Amulet?. That and Vigorous Victor will solve SP problems.

I think I do? I'm currently running the "negatives are now positive" accessory + Rosary of Redemption combination on her though, and my passive skill slots for her are really tight. I might mess around with them later tonight though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Toastymcfly posted:

Looking for a new game after FF16 and that diablo 4 was underwhelming. I’ve been eyeing octo 2 but I’m unsure. Is this a solid pick-up for some casual play? I’m all for turn-based combat, so not worried about that. I did hear that some of the individual stories were a little cringe and drag a bit though. Is this the case?

Edit: also heard that the game can be super unforgiving. Just looking for a fairly chill drop-in/drop-out story driven game. I definitely want to engage in the games mechanics for sure, but I don’t want to HAVE to min/max and pull up spreadsheets to beat bosses.

I didn’t play octopath 1 but I heard the second is fairly stand-alone and a good place to start

Like you I went from FF16 to Octopath 2 (with a couple of short games in between) without playing Octopath 1 first and I'm having a blast. Not gonna compare the two because they're about as far from each other as you can get while still being a Japanese RPG and they scratch completely different itches, but I can say that casual play should be alright, a single chapter for one character is like... half an hour or so? I'm also not super try-hard on the combat and am mostly just messing around, but I've organically found some hard-hitting combos (though I doubt they're optimal), and I'm sure you will too just from repeated play.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'm in the same boat, usually I'm pretty lost in sprawling dungeons/zones without a map but I haven't had that particular issue in OT2 (yet).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I might be a bit overlevelled from messing around with side content. Went into Temenos's final boss with lvl 59 average across the board and beat them in 2 rounds lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kliras posted:

that's pretty much how it goes. i had to just wait them out so they could get to their stage 2 dialogue. good thing i did throné's first and not last

I'm about to do Throne's so lol

I'll make sure to hold back a bit on the gas.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finished my 4th character path, which completes my starter party. Gonna do the second Temenos/Throné duo quest then its time for some powerlevelling.

I might swap Armsmaster off Osvald onto Hikari which is going to hurt all the random element-boost weapon stacking options I can have on him, but I think that Giant Club + the Armsmaster weapons for the other 5 slots would go a lot better on Hikari. Dunno what I would run on Osvald instead though, flittering between Inventor and Arcanist (no Conjurer yet).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'm at the point where everyone in my A team can casually crap out 30k damage on turn 2 so demoting Osvald to support/shield cracker with arcanist isn't too bad an idea, I'm really going to miss the spiritlord staff bash though.

Actually I might go apothecary then and save arcanist for Partitio who I assume uses it very well. I already have Temenos with scholar so Osvald with cleric would just be redundant really.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 15, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are still some Osvald subjob options that let him run double elemental boost. I think Thief/Hunter both work.

Arcanist!Partitio is for cheese yeah (you can spread both Sidestep and Rest), though it's hardly needed and he makes use of almost any job well enough. Plus I don't like the outfit on him, so I usually throw him into another job.

When you have reached the sordid heights of triple ice boost it's hard to take a consolation prize double boost :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fun: messing around with lvl 20 B team in endgame gear
Less fun: realising just how much JP I need to farm to get back all the different support skills I want for the B team

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh are the more xp/more xp + jp at night skills for self only? I assumed they were partywide because of the one-per-party clause, darn. I'll keep that in mind for my next farming session.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I did the Tyrannolizard(?) boss last night with my A team but it was still pretty rough because it turns out that I got too used to alpha striking everything down in the first couple of turns and forgot how to do like, other stuff lol. Not touching OT2 for a few days didn't help either. Still beat it thanks to being overlevelled though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I should probably use Leghold Trap more, I kept forgetting to because I wanted Ochette pumping out dps every turn.