Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
can't wait for the midgame reveal where the title screen changes to OCTOPATH LIES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Ok the stories don't overlap but do the characters talk to each other and acknowledge each others existence and have conversations?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this game fuckin' kicks rear end. but i want a hard mode. or at least difficulty scaling on the chapter 4s

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this is a game that i'd love to play a fan made difficulty hack of in 2 years where every single chapter boss makes me sweat bullets

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

What exactly would you want them to do for the next game? This is such a quality jump that it’s hard for me to not give this post a little side eye. The intraparty conversations and cross path chapters were a decent compromise. The only other thing based on your post, that they could do is have a bunch of triggers for possible included characters, which would be profoundly time inefficient for the end result. What you’d get in practice would be a lot of “Yeah! Let’s do that!” and “No milord, I have doubts,” and on and on. It would both be transparent as a mechanic and obnoxious once you’ve got all eight characters.

The only way to appease people who want intraparty dialogue, as I see it, is to add a lot more cross path quests. But that’s probably even more work than the wedging dialogue into every possible permutation of a chapter. More satisfying, too, obviously.

I think as long as we get an Octopath III we’ll be in good shape.

Something I’d considered also is what if you went down to four characters with eight or even sixteen jobs, as well as path actions attached to those jobs. They’d have to do something with the name of the game, but at least you’d get a manageable party size to work with and could do a more traditional story. But at this point, the anthology style of Octopath helps distinguish it from its peers, imho.

As it stands, this is a game that succeeds because it knows what it is, knows what it can reasonably get away with, and knows how its ancestors succeeded and failed. In other words, straight craft top to bottom.

Well bummer. It’s a fair compromise considering the structure of the game, but I admit to being a wee bit bummed this is the case. I figure smart play can get you through it, but it’s such a blunt method.

here's what you do: make a chapter series like the final chapter in this game, that unlocks as you finish chapter 1/2/3/4/etc in the characters stories. so like there'd be "full party story chapter 1", and so on, and once everything is done that turns into the endgame chapter

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
here's what they do. the make chapters like the final chapter of 2 throughout the game. Like there's a "whole party" chapter 1, 2, 3 etc that unlocks when you've completed everyone's respective chapter 1, 2, 3, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Just make 'full party chapters' ala the end of 2 that go throughout the whole game. Do everyone's first chapters to unlock the first one, so on