Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I've finished all the individual stories, and have been cleaning up a bunch of loose ends before moving on to the crossed paths. This includes tracking down all the sidequests that unlock after the end of each story, and I absolutely had to come in here to say that (Agnea spoilers) drat, Dolcinaea and Veronica are gay as gently caress. I'm glad we could help this clueless butch come up with a gift for her equally clueless femme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Somehow still less blatantly gay than Agnea's sister.

So I hadn't found this one yet at the time, but I have now, and wow, it really is true. That said, even when I first read the post I wasn't exactly surprised, because the vibes are there in a few earlier scenes if you connect the dots.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Provoke can be pretty good in the midgame, if you've managed to capture an enemy from a much higher level area to let you punch above your weight class. I knocked out more than a few NPCs using a ratking from the abandoned clock tower.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

You know that pokemon Garbodor that’s literally made of trash? Harvey’s like that

This is an unforgivable insult to Garbodor, who is perfect and can do no wrong.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just knock him out.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah it's pretty much always "give in, kill, you know you want to" "no" "ok maybe next chapter"

IMO it's worth it for the payoff of his latent power getting a rebrand after he conquers it permanently. That kind of gameplay/story integration is always cool to see.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Harrow posted:

In your other party, have someone put Sealticge's Seduction on Temenos (or another Cleric) and have him use a fully boosted Sacred Shield to cut the next few hits by 50%.

Boosting Sacred Shield increases the % damage reduction iirc, not the duration.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Anecdotal, but I got the sense that the game actually does lower the encounter rate under the hood for areas you've vastly outleveled. For instance, on most of my lategame visits to the cathedral, I didn't run into a single encounter during the walk up from Flamechurch.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Taear posted:

Honestly I could bring myself through it if it didn't pause when I defocus but because it does I'm just done.

Genuinely do not understand this complaint. You're upset that the game doesn't run when you're... not playing it? The only possible use case for this I can come up with is that you don't want to devote full attention to the cutscenes, but also don't want to just skip them for some reason. And also you can't come up with any multitasking activities that don't involve opening another window on your PC.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

JuniperCake posted:

And yeah, some of the really good damage set ups require specific equipment and junk to work. But none of that is necessary, I didn't use limb from limb either. Just use whatever skills you think work well, there's a lot of skills he can learn. He can learn utility skills too like rest and analyze.

One cool utility skill for Hikari that I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention is Risk It All. I don't remember who exactly I got it off of, but it's available fairly early on. It gives another party member buffs to all their stats, in exchange for debuffs to Hikari himself. A bit situational on its own, but if you combine it with Osvald's Teach and/or Sealticge, you get an incredibly potent and efficient way to spread buffs around. And once you finish Agnea's story, you can just have her use Song Of Hope to keep everything online afterwards instead of needing to set up the whole combo again.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

is the quest referring to a totally different quicksand monster

Yes, and it is capturable (after you beat it once), but also iirc the hunter license quests are only looking for kills, not captures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If you think about it, Paper Mario's aesthetic is basically already built on the same principles as HD-2D.