Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

7c Nickel posted:

This name is terrible. Why isn't it "Eightfold Traveler"? I assume it's a reference to the noble eightfold path anyway.

SaGa Frontier 3 doesn't sound as cool, that's why it's Octopath Traveler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Probably a double post gently caress it

I started as Therion. His plot intro was fine; it sets up his reason for traveling and that's cool. It's strange to me that some of the adventures feel vastly more urgent than others, but its also kinda neat; like, while you're traveling around doing Ophilia's important quest, Therion is like "cool I'll tag along and we can knock out this other thing on the way/while we're there." I think the way you recruit new party members is sorta lame because there's no real introduction and your point character actually doesn't speak at all, so it's literally just a contrivance. Hopefully there's more interaction between the MCs once you put the band together, because I'm not super interested in 8 totally disparate stories with some interlinking references. The relationships between the 8 would be the selling point to me.

Skill system and combat is fun as heck, no worries there. Therion rules and his path action is dope. Cyrus was less cool than I'd hoped. Tressa seemed boring. In my completed 3-hour file I had enough time to complete Therion/Cyrus/Ophilia entirely and basically with no more time to spare.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Tae posted:

It's the beginning of a 50 hour rpg

Which is why you'd think it would be important to establish things like "why are they traveling together at all"

As much as Therion owns bones, he is very much a loner character who would not really go out of his way to help a sorrowful maiden or a nerd in the library; coupled with the fact that your point character says absolutely nothing when you are recruiting new party members and it just seems really weak, and reduces the stated point of the game ("your adventure YOUR way!!")

If "my" adventure is that I want to start as Therion or another character less likely to help random strangers with green text bubbles, it'd be cool if they at least introduced a reason for that to happen anyway instead of what they did, which is literally nothing

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Your Computer posted:

completely unrelated topic - I've seen SaGa comparisons (like several this page) and I was wondering, are any of those games worth playing? They seem like really impenetrable games and I know very little about them, but I'm way into JRPGs so...

SaGa Frontier 2 is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. It is so obviously unfinished, so completely inscrutable, and so badly localized but I loving love that drat game. Gustave for life.

SaGa Frontier sucks tho, real talk. Play 2 if you like amazing OSTs, unique aesthetics, inaccessible battle mechanics with sometimes crushing difficulty, an incomprehensible plot told out of chronological order, and badass characters

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Doorknob Slobber posted:

so the demo is just a timed version of the full game, will a save transfer over?

Saves transfer and you get three hours of game time per save, so go nuts.

I'm probably not save transferring because I know I rushed a little to complete three intros on one file, so I guess in terms of advice I'd say just pretend the time limit doesn't exist. Pick who you want, take your time, and when it's over it's over, no big

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Having gone around and trucked through most of the intro stuff now, I think I like the characters in roughly this order:
Therion
Primrose
Ophilia
Alfyn
Cyrus
Tressa
Olberic
H'aanit

Some of it is owed to how interesting their intro chapter is, some of it is how cool or annoying I found the characters to be, some of it is ridiculous dialogue (H'aanit), but the top 4 are all pretty cool and good

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I forgot she's the meme master of this game

Yes Tressa #1 and everyone else is tied for 2nd place

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

SaGa Frontier is cool but it's literally missing content [...] SaGa Frontier 2 is a trashfire and you should never play it.

SaGa Frontier and 2 are both hilariously unfinished, but one of those games has Gustav and one doesn't, so the winner should be obvious even with the Battle of South Moundtop

atholbrose posted:

SaGa Frontier stuff

SaGa Frontier 2 was one of my first-ever PSX games, and I'm a child of that era - I was only old enough to kinda get into videogames by the tail end of the SNES/Genesis epoch, and the Playstation was the first console we owned as a family. A lot of the games I played were rented from Blockbuster Video and were sometimes so damaged/scratched they didn't function (I grew up in a densely populated East Coast city, I guess that's to be expected), so I decided to start picking out titles that seemed ignored or forgotten or went consistently un-rented. Final Fantasy VII was Kid Guts' first real jRPG besides some snatches of Chrono Trigger I'd played at a friend's house, but SaGa Frontier 2 was not far behind.

I provide this nonsense Chuck Klosterman contextual aside because I think it's the main reason I can't help but love SaGa Frontier 2. It was a right-place, right-time experience for a younger me, who had way more time on his hands to dedicate to learning the obscura of a game that maybe didn't earn that level of devotion. As an adult I can recognize SaGa Frontier 2 for what it was - an overly ambitious passion project that fell considerably short of expectations, shipped in an unfinished state to recoup any cost of development that they could - but the nostalgia of playing it when and where I did makes me kind of incapable of being objective about it. Objectively I should know it's bad, but I just kinda love it anyway.

It doesn't hurt that I played it sandwiched between a bunch of games I consider all-time classics, either (FF7, Final Fantasy Tactics, Metal Gear Solid, and CastleVania: Symphony of the Night). I also respect that both SaGa Frontier games swung for it, right - they tried to do weird, unique poo poo, and most of it I'd quantify as a failure as a man grown but they did try.

Also, SaGa Frontier 2 has one of my favorite battle tracks of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SepIcjoSkwY

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

The battle system is hella good because it really differentiates between "good at game" and "bad at game" decision-making - wasteful use of BP will get you absolutely obliterated even by, like, a chapter one boss, and finding the right balance and rhythm to combat feels satisfying

I watched my sibling play this game against Heathcote and he defended on consecutive turns to weather his powered-up attack; I never had to do that because I always seemed to have him close enough to Break to where I could just burn BP and knock him out of his charge

Also as far as I'm concerned the correct way to start is to go Therion->Alfyn->Primrose->Olberic

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Shyfted One posted:

Incorrect. Beastmaster -> Thief -> Chemist -> Dancer.

This unironically would be my choice except H'aanit's dialogue makes me wanna die; it's only one off from my intended start

empathe posted:

The dialogue is awful with like "seeketh" and similar fake olde English. Is this just the Hunter or is the whole game like this?

It's H'aanit

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 16, 2018

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bean posted:

I’m glad you all have played SaGa frontier 2. I rented it in high school and thought I had a fever dream. I wanted to love it so badly but not a thing in that game makes sense.

And no one talks about it! It’s way more unfinished then something like Xenogears and no one cares. It’s so weird.

That's because SaGa Frontier 2 isn't sexy - the state of its incompletion is so immediately obvious that it's a boring kind of unfinished. It's equivalent to losing a game by four points versus forty; sure, they're both losses, but the nearer miss hurts more or at least stays fresher in the memory. Xenogears also trades in shallow Christian iconography and cheap philosophy 101 discourse common to a lot of the Japanese media I remember from that period (the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion comes to mind first) and developed a cult following as a result; SaGa Frontier 2 reminds me much more of the Ivalice cycle of Squaresoft/Square-Enix games (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII), where the plot is a lot less direct than "kill God while you interpret SYMBOLISM" and is summarily dismissed as dry or boring. Interpretive works have a baked-in hook, because the plot can sorta be about whatever you want it to be about, and you can then debate with other jerks on the internet about it ad nauseum. What's present in SaGa Frontier 2's plot is no less interesting to me but inherently much more risky - instead of following a single character or even group of characters, you get disparate groups with disparate goals doing disparate plots and what's more, some of them die suddenly and without a true resolution to their plotline and then you start playing as their successors and/or children, who have goals of their own that are informed by their forebears but aren't exactly aligned, etc. etc....

It's kind of like the difference between a character-centric story and a narrative-centric story. SaGa Frontier 2, Ivalice games, Tactics Ogre, and the like have stories that feel like the world itself is at least as important as the characters in it, and that you're viewing a small slice of a much larger pie. Games like Final Fantasy VII, Xenogears, and Legend of Dragoon feel like, you know, if the main characters were to stop doing The Plot, the setting would kind of collapse. Other characters don't feel alive or important - they're there to deliver exposition or sell items to the Main Characters and that's it. The narrative, world-building, everything revolves around the anime boy with the sword driving the action. In SaGa Frontier 2 you are intentionally not given any such character to latch on to - except for Gustav, who dies unceremoniously and off-screen lol

If anything, though, criticism of Bravely's storylines and failures like SaGa Frontier/2 are likely why Octopath Traveler will have a fairly straightforward or even bare-bones "overarching" story, assuming one exists at all. The easiest route they could take would be to have eight separate stories that sometimes have little references to one another; maybe you have a story event here and there where the overlapping characters interact (Cyrus and Primrose seem like obvious candidates for this), but maybe there really won't be like a "the whole band is working together for the same goal" thing. I dunno. The way you recruit the other Travelers into your party is so pitifully contrived and anti-climactic that it discouraged me a little. I could be wrong! Hopefully am, in fact.

Speaking more of Octopath Traveler, does anyone have a clean sprite sheet of Therion? I want to blow up an image of him doing his Path Action pose so I can make a perler art of him to hang in my car, but so far I haven't had any luck.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this a SaGa game?

It smells like one, but it has things like detailed game mechanics

Feels like SaGa Frontier 1 + Bravely Default to me, for the most part

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I'm like 70% sure things are going to get weird

e: also someone mentioned the music. It's pretty good! I'm still sad that we never got more Revo though, because :tviv: the Bravely Default soundtrack

where the gently caress is Masashi Hamauzu is what I wanna know

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

If party interaction straight up does not exist then I'm probably out, which sucks but oh well. I was in the thread post-demo when a lot of the discussion was like "party interaction probably exists but not in chapter 1s," and now it seems like the other take (one I shared) was the correct one - if it does exist it's not for 20 plus hours which is frankly insane

The battle system is real cool but I don't know if that's enough to carry a whole JRPG for 80+ hours

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

When I say "I'm out," I don't mean it in the hyperbolic sense of "this game sucks and I'll never play it," though I should've been clearer; it's more like "I am no longer going to have this day one," so I refunded my pre-order and I'll wait to hear details on how the game develops as you progress. If it turns out that your party eventually does have a through-line that connects their stories and they, you know, talk to each other in a context beyond skits from a Tales of ... game, I'll buy back in. The discouraging thing to me about the complete lack of interactivity among your crew is that such a tack also essentially precludes an over-arching plot, and while I'm not going to say that this makes the game suck or try to convince anyone else that it is a bad game, it definitely DQs Octopath for me and my sensibilities

I hope the game is good! And if it doesn't have the stuff I want I might buy it on sale?

I'm also probably being hugely reductive and stupid, here, so I'd love to be corrected if my take is military grade hot, but if you have a game built on spritework and particle effects it stands to reason that you could spend a lot of time and/or money that might not go into standard triple-A visual elements and instead come up with a way to write scenarios that account for who you have in your party when you do story events? Like I get that "they don't force you to recruit anyone, and that makes it impossible to write dialogue for story beats because Character A isn't present to deliver important exposition" is a point to be made, but a) that feels like a really poor explanation and an even worse design decision, especially when you consider that unless you plan on grinding for hours you pretty much must go and collect several other characters before you go to your "main" character's chapter 2, and b) again, given that the game is spritework and particle effects and very old-school in its presentation, wouldn't that mean you could spend more time and money to realize a narrative tool like, say, Chrono Cross? I think someone brought it up earlier, but Chrono Cross still manages to have story events that acknowledge that the party you've chosen is physically present for the event and even does a good job hiding "generic" dialogue behind accents or whatever

Anyway it's a lot of words that sound dumb in the Octopath hype thread, I still hope the game rules, I'm just gonna wait for you all to play it first and decide if it's worth the sixty bones, that's all

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Mega64 posted:

I'm probably getting it more for the gameplay myself.

Battle system is fun, path actions seem okay (I'll probably enjoy them more if/when I'm not trying to rush myself through a three-hour demo), so gameplay seems cool, but not "here's $60" cool if that's a valid thing to say

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am glad I have low standards for storytelling because I'm usually down for whatever a game throws at me, be it complicated it as simple as "It's dangerous to go alone."

I'm agree with this when the gameplay is something I could imagine carrying for an extremely long time, usually by way of being extremely mechanically fun. This is not me poo poo-talking turn-based systems, but that hasn't been "I could do this for 80+ hours in a story-less vacuum" for me since, like, FF7, and I was 9 when that came out. More power to people who dig that, it's just not me. There's also so much other stuff on the Switch that is both time-consuming and mechanically fun that it would be hard for me to sink my teeth into a game like this if the narrative is sparse to the point of non-interacting party members

teh_Broseph posted:

Tttttwwwweeeeeennnnttttyyyyyyy ppppeeerrrrrcceeennntttttt ooooooffffffffffffff

This is no-joke the main reason why I pre-order anything on Amazon. If I'm fairly confident I'm gonna buy it anyway, and also that I probably wanna play it before it gets sale-priced, I just pre-order and save a little dosh. Usually it's games that are a mortal lock to be something I'd enjoy (Yakuza 6, Super Mario Odyssey, I put a pre-order down on Smash Bros. Ultimate)

Never pre-ordering anything is probably more responsible if you can wait for a little bit for the price to go down anyway, but I wanna play my Mario Tennis Aces when the community is at its largest, yo. Octopath, I can wait for a trip report from y'all and if it's fuckin amazing well shame on me for not getting it for $47, I'll eat the sixty bucks and buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

My problem with the first OT was that the characters never really interacted with one another - you just recruited them and then everyone had their own, separate thing going on.

Is that still how it works in OT2, or will Hikari comment on Throne's chapters etc.?