Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Your Computer posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the ~*~HD-2D~*~? I've posted too much about it in too many threads already, but do other people generally like it? :v:
I really like the style and would say it's a big contributor to my interest in the game. It certainly made the game stand out over other retro inspired RPG's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I’ve been making the loop around tho collect all the characters so I’m not too far in, but I was wondering about some of the random caves I’ve come across on the road. Are these just there to provide side exporation, or am I going to end up getting sent to these through a quest eventually? I hate it in games when I explore what looks like an optional dungeon only to find I have to go back again later for a quest.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Technically both. You can explore any of the dungeons at any time to fight the optional bosses, but some of them do have quests involved with them. The number one thing to keep in mind is that quests will only appear in a town whose entrance is on the same screen as the dungeon entrance. So, for example, the cave with the snakes in the Desert. You get there from the same map that you also get to Wellspring, so pop into Wellspring first and you'll get the quest. If there's no quest in the town, then there's no quest for the dungeon - you won't get a quest on the other side of the world or later in the game to revisit. On top of that, if there's no town connected to the dungeon entrance map, there's no quests. So, pretty much all the dungeons you passed in the inner ring of cities getting all the characters don't have quests.

Perfect. Thanks for that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Just finished this game off. Overall I loved almost everything about it but the story. The individual stories are serviceable enough but I'm not a fan of the lack of party interaction although I understand why it would have been easier for them to go that route. My bigger issue is the lack of any interesting set pieces throughout the entire story. The game settles into a comfortable loop and never deviates from it. You walk to a new town, watch a little story, use your path action to gather information, go through a dungeon, and fight a boss. Olberic's second chapter is the only one that is slightly more ambitious. The dungeon's aren't even unique. It's always just a forest, cave, mansion, or sewer. There's just nothing memorable in the game at all. Compare it to FF6 which is constantly throwing interesting new ideas and locations at you. I don't know if it's due to lack of budget or lack of ambition, but I hope they can step up their game if there's a sequel.