Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm really enjoying Octopath COTC, although I'm still super early so maybe the gacha gets oppressive at endgame or something. But so far it's like a ton more Octopath vignettes with new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Combo posted:

Fights are getting harder for sure. You used to be able to make it through the whole thing with 4 star units, you probably still can with considerable planning, but I think it's coming where meta units are going to be more and more needed.

Fiore EX just came out and she looks like she breaks the game on certain fights by being an uber tank. I managed to pull her but haven't really gotten to play as my phone is bricked so I'm waiting on a new one. I've got it on an emulator in the mean time just farming xp nuts to level up characters while I'm at work.

I know people hate gacha games here and I get it, but COTC story/music/characters/combat is actually pretty fun.

I just did a bunch of free pulls on the anniversary banner and managed to get 7 5*, including Cyrus, Ophelia, and Viola so I'm feeling pretty good. It's fun to have the battle system in my pocket for quick play sessions.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kale posted:

I've recently been checking out some of the Champions of the Continent stories on youtube and it looks like the spirit of the series is still kind of there in them outside of the gacha elements, which I don't have to deal with since I'm not actively playing the game. It definitely has that similar gravitas and dramatic poise of the Switch games with the various Champions of the Continent (basically the chapters main villains and not heroic at all) all being pretty atypical of what you'd expect of JRPG villains (The Master of Power one comes closest to being what you'd typically expect in that it's this corrupt rear end in a top hat mercenary general dude), but for Octopath's more character driven personal stories make perfect sense. There all like microcosms of "the elite" that people love to hate.

CotC is really good. The stories, music, art, and gameplay are all what you'd want. The gacha element is annoying but they give you enough free stuff to be able to make a solid roster, and then you can just play it like a single player RPG. It has a ton of content.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I play OT2 exclusively on Steamdeck (the switch version, emulated)