Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm pretty excited for the game. I wrote a lot of notes for the last demo in the survey they sent out cause theres a lot of things to work out and tweak. Namely the UI needed some work so hopefully it came out for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's pretty great as Olberic you can beat up everyone in town

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Speaking of licensing and music, you can't record video clips. Curious if it's a demo limitation or a Square Enix limitation because of the music.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I took a look at the Octopath reddit and saw people were already number crunching and data-mining who the most optimal party members and the like were. I think that's a little much at this point.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tae posted:

Square is cross promoting Octopath with their mobile game

No, not that mobile game like Record Keeper with actual sprites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nqoeusgmaI

The 3D game with 3D models
OK now I want to play Octopath in 3d

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I only played one demo prologue just so I wouldn't burn out on replaying the beginning

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Frankston posted:

The demo save data carries over to the main game
I'm going to start over anyways :downs:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Olberic Krew Represent

My blade is unbending

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Have they mentioned how XP works with people not in your party? Do they still level up or do you need to grind to keep them adequately leveled?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Andrast posted:

I disagree with everything in this.

:same:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Port Saga Frontier to Switch so I can be my good robot boy

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mordiceius posted:

Who loving cares. The game will be good either way.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Kotaku review is up and it seems the core gripe is the stories dont overlap which really bugs the reviewer.

quote:

Some of these stories are entertaining, others trite, but they’re always independent. They never intersect or share common ground. To buy that these eight adventurers would team up, putting aside their own motives to help each other out, requires a suspension of disbelief well beyond what most video games ask of the people who play them. Why would a hardened thief spend so much of his time hanging out with a goody-two-shoes healer? It’s never quite explained.

I can see where that might bother you, but.. I feel like that's a pretty common trope in RPGs that seems weird to focus so much on.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Usually you have the overarching narrative as the reason but you don't really have that here so I get it.

I can see that but I'm just used to people showing up for whatever reason even if they just stand around in cutscenes or do nothing anyways.

Another weird criticism is when plot reasons dictate that the player character is incapacitated while the villain escapes and Jason gripes about the other party members not being acknowledged or doing anything. Like do you just want them to show up to be token beaten down or paralyzed too for the plot? Is it really that big of a leap to assume that if the story participant is wounded too far to pursue that the rest of the party isnt?

It just feels like the connectivity of stories is going to be the major wedge issue of this game and you either care or dont I guess.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Why can't it unlock now

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's good but I gotta sleep.

Olberic Primrose and Tressa. Team POT.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tressa's path action, so far, has been incredibly useful in getting good equipment at cheap prices. Hopefully this scales well.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ophelia might have the worst story

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My only gripe so far is that the difficulty of the boss fights really ramps up by the time you're on your 6th or 7th character.

I think it was like a 20 minute slog to finish one of them.

Also don't mess with Exotic Grandma

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You can sell everything that says should fetch a good price right? All the important items are marked by a star and their own category.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hey folks 8 hours in and I just learned boost works on your skills too. Welp.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Olberic
Tressa
Ophilia

Rando Fourth

is a good enough party for me. Olberic and Tressa just truck through everything.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's amazing to fail an 85% steal 4 times in a row

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Olberic is a physical attacking beast and its hard pressed to find someone who keeps up. Tressa or Hannit if you cross into Soldier, maybe.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Finished all the Chapter 1s and naturally my levels are all over the place. Anywhere from 22 to 8. The level 20 grinding zone is right outside Stillsnow. So, uh, better to get to grinding I guess. Need to afford all this good Chapter 2 city gear, but man its expensive.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When you have to formally apologize because your game is selling so well

https://twitter.com/OCTOPATH_PR/status/1018029575945637888?s=19

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RoboCicero posted:

I'm a child and I think the peak of humor is the fact there are items named Slippery Nut and Fortifying Nut in the game.

Good thing I also have decision paralysis, and will thus hang on to these until the end of the game.

Wait until you see the BOFA squirrels

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

So is there a guide on what triggers party banter?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah I think each character has one per other characters chapter that all trigger at different points.

My party for Primrose Chapter 2 of Olberic, Tressa, and Ophilia all triggered before I even went into the dungeon.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Your Computer posted:

I assume he gets some more story in his later chapters but it's sort of funny how Therion is just straight up a thief (not to mention a jerk). No 'treasure hunter' or excuses, he just wanted to rob that mansion because it had valuable treasure in it (and Tressa was in as soon as she heard the word "treasure"!)

I see we all screen shotted the same exchange

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MY BLADE IS UNBENDING

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yall are flying through this game. I'm only one story finished in Chapter 2.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My level distribution is like this after doing Primrose Ch. 2 as the only one so far.

Olberic (main) - 30
Tressa (2nd Char) - 28
Primrose - 25
Ophilia - 26

Everyone else is 18-20. Since Primrose's chapter 2 is on a route with level 20 encounters I spent some time to get everyone up to level 20. I'll have to level some people up more to get to where their suggested level is.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Imo Thief subclass is the best costume for everyone. Although Dancer Ophelia is neat looking and kind of funny when you think about the character. Same as Olberic.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Cyrus as subclass Merchant with an elemental attack spear and that magus bow and woo boy he do a lot of magic damage.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ethiser posted:

There’s no point in giving a character two magic enhancing weapons. They only get the stats from the one with the higher E. Attack bonus.

Edit:Beaten

That's a bummer.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The character interactions with more than 2 people happen when you complete someone's Chapter 4 - from what I heard.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Octopath Graveler. A Geodude who evolved with eight arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

With the amount of JP Olberic has in my party he might learn every class skill before Haanit even finishes her own class