Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

and was that Varys too?

With hair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Disappointed that episode 6 didn't have this scene:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I just love that they totally went for it and straight up killed Hitler. Not only that they tied it into one of the themes of the show where "killing someone does little, but saving someone can make a difference".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eh, it was probably a stand in with a stick on 'stache.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Rhyno posted:

Eh, it was probably a stand in with a stick on 'stache.

They showed a newspaper that said basically "Hitler Dead! Himmler Fuhrer!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So are we going to end up with Hannah being Cole's mom? She's going back just far enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

So are we going to end up with Hannah being Cole's mom? She's going back just far enough.

Don't be silly.

Deacon is clearly going to be Cole's mother.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

His head is just a little cut off, that won't stop Deacon.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

goddammit not the Don't You Forget About Me sad cover after that too :cry:

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

You win.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Hannah murder montage was pretty messed up.

Maester Luwin was dropping some sick burns against Olivia. "We've already covered ourselves in oil." :black101:

So when was that scene in episode 9 with the family drinking some scotch by the fireplace? I was a little confused by that one.

His head is just a little cut off, that won't stop Deacon.

He's come back from worse!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Not even done with the episode but daughters is drat good

az
Dec 2, 2005

Always figured it'd be Jennifer but I can live with this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This fuckin’ show.

Gawwwwwddddddddaaaaayyyyummmmm.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This season has been gold for 9 episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So when was that scene in episode 9 with the family drinking some scotch by the fireplace? I was a little confused by that one.

It looks like what happened is that after the events of the airport Cole and Jones went back to sometime before 2018.

The only thing that bugged me with this reveal is that Hannah sure aged a lot in less than 9 years.

Anyway, so with the reveal that Cole is the demon (because of his weird time travel heritage) I guess this means to stop Olivia and fix time they'll have to completely erase him from existence?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

It looks like what happened is that after the events of the airport Cole and Jones went back to sometime before 2018.

2017, there's a title card right at the beginning of the scene.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anyway, so with the reveal that Cole is the demon (because of his weird time travel heritage) I guess this means to stop Olivia and fix time they'll have to completely erase him from existence?

Just imagine: the weapon that the primaries built was probably going to splinter Cole into a million pieces and erase him from the timeline all at once. :v:

Flatscan posted:

2017, there's a title card right at the beginning of the scene.

Right, but Hannah was talking about how she knew that she would be Cole's mom. Or at least it seemed like it. But then Cole shouldn't have been surprised that she was his mother or that she stayed in the present from '09 to '18.

Time travel is melting my brain.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just imagine: the weapon that the primaries built was probably going to splinter Cole into a million pieces and erase him from the timeline all at once. :v:

Right, but Hannah was talking about how she knew that she would be Cole's mom. Or at least it seemed like it. But then Cole shouldn't have been surprised that she was his mother or that she stayed in the present from '09 to '18.

Time travel is melting my brain.

I'm not sure what you're confused about but they go back in time to 2018 where Hannah saves Cole and pretty much reveals that she's his mother. So they go back to 2017 to let her know that they know and then reveal that she dies the next year at the airport.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not sure what you're confused about but they go back in time to 2018 where Hannah saves Cole and pretty much reveals that she's his mother. So they go back to 2017 to let her know that they know and then reveal that she dies the next year at the airport.

That makes sense :tipshat:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This season's been great. This show is one of my favorite sci-fi series ever, no matter how the last 2 eps play out.

So sad more people never gave this show a chance.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I have seen a lot of nazis get gunned down on television and in movies over my lifetime. that was some loving top-shelf, doing it right nazi killing.

fantastic musical number.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone looking for a time travel audiobook. I highly recommend the Extracted books by R.R. Haywood. I'm on the second at the moment, It's a good story.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

seriously though... having the mentally ill comic relief belting out a p!nk tune, with orchestral backing, to the assembled leadership of the third reich finishing off with the best bad good guy ever murdering hitler and a double doctorate dominatrix machine-gunning a platoon of waffen ss... but it's not campy. it's absurd and just enough obscene, don't think there are any other shows that could carry that tone and have it totally fit.

this show is a loving treasure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jfood posted:

seriously though... having the mentally ill comic relief belting out a p!nk tune, with orchestral backing, to the assembled leadership of the third reich finishing off with the best bad good guy ever murdering hitler and a double doctorate dominatrix machine-gunning a platoon of waffen ss... but it's not campy. it's absurd and just enough obscene, don't think there are any other shows that could carry that tone and have it totally fit.

It was absolutely campy (Hitler headboppin'?) but that's not a bad thing. I kinda adored it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just caught up and holy gently caress this show.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Open Source Idiom posted:

It was absolutely campy (Hitler headboppin'?) but that's not a bad thing. I kinda adored it.

yea... cheesey might have been a better word. always thought 'campy' meant insincere retard poo poo like benny hill or hee-haw.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This season is a tangle of causality loops. Also the Hannah scenes made me sad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This season of 12 Monkeys is what Bruce Willis was talking about when he was talking to his younger self in Looper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMaxdhzzMw

And when I look back and put all the pieces of this show together, it all works somehow. Everything checks out, sci-fi time travel-wise, and I can only imagine the vast scale of canonical diagrams the writers have to make with straws and yarn in their conference room when doing their jobs. It boggles the mind.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect there are a handful of plotholes here and there -- I'm not sure the show has done enough to support the implication that Deacon was the love of future Jennifer's life, for instance -- but it's remarkably coherent overall. It's impressive.

They've really been very lucky too. Quite a lot of this season has relied on them being able to grab back certain key actors in order to close their characters off -- Peter Outerbridge, most notably, who's been in maybe four minutes of the show until now -- which must have been difficult. I think the only significant actor they haven't had back yet is Madeline Stowe, and her character wasn't really that important in the first place. Oh, and Noah Bean I guess.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That was a perfect series-long Previously On recap

James Callis is back :swoon:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That scene was really sad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how even now, at the end of the show, they are not redoing the Ramse hand make up and he'll just wear a glove.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Goddamn this is perfect

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol-ing at this "Hey, Amanda Schull is still on TV, on SUITS!" ads.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

One of my favorite seasons of all time

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The last time we hear "Initiate splinter sequence." :smith:

In s1, I thought that the corpse that they found in the ice was one of the blue dudes who got splintered in half and sent back in time. I guess it was Olivia instead.

https://tvline.com/2018/07/06/12-monkeys-recap-series-finale-cole-cassie-reunited/ An interview with the showrunner.

I like the dark and bittersweet interpretation that Cassie didn't push the button and the rest of the happy scenes are in the red forest. :tinfoil:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect there are a handful of plotholes here and there -- I'm not sure the show has done enough to support the implication that Deacon was the love of future Jennifer's life, for instance -- but it's remarkably coherent overall. It's impressive.

They've really been very lucky too. Quite a lot of this season has relied on them being able to grab back certain key actors in order to close their characters off -- Peter Outerbridge, most notably, who's been in maybe four minutes of the show until now -- which must have been difficult. I think the only significant actor they haven't had back yet is Madeline Stowe, and her character wasn't really that important in the first place. Oh, and Noah Bean I guess.

Whatever the showrunners work on next, if they say they have a plan I'll believe them(or a good group of writers who can tie everything together). Unlike s2 Westworld.

:hellyeah:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Rest in time good show. Great ending to a great series.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
With James Callis coming back from some point after the end of the series and Terry Matalas talking about a potential season 5 and/or a Jennifer spin-off I have a feeling they've got a continuation in the works. I think that's fine, if so. This series had a great ending. If the people who want to stay with these characters a bit longer, why the hell not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I knew they were too sentimental to go with the sad ending.

drat I'm gonna miss this show.

• Locked thread