Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Continuum.

I have some bad news.

You might now be my number 2.

TBD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

qbert posted:

I knew they were too sentimental to go with the sad ending.

drat I'm gonna miss this show.

Almost made mans cry when Cassie saw the house.

One of the best sci-fi shows ever made, period.

Ramsey getting a redemption arc was so badly needed.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Almost made mans cry when Cassie saw the house.

One of the best sci-fi shows ever made, period.

Ramsey getting a redemption arc was so badly needed.

I literally yelled YES when he came back. 12 Monkeys did right by Kick Avecedo :unsmith:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I literally yelled YES when he came back. 12 Monkeys did right by Kick Avecedo :unsmith:

Ride or Die! VII

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Man this show was one hell of a ride. I'm sad to se it go but I'm not going to be sad it's gone.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man this show was one hell of a ride. I'm sad to se it go but I'm not going to be sad it's gone.

How do you contradict yourself in one sentence, without a comma.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What a beautiful, well written show that will hold up for a long time.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhCrJ9FkGN8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the idea that Deacon secretly knew what was going to happen to him the entire time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
But now he hasn't got his Superman style VII

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

muscles like this! posted:

I like the idea that Deacon secretly knew what was going to happen to him the entire time.

On the Talking Monkeys podcast with the creators, they said it was only after he had his nosebleed in 4x07 or 4x08 that time changed and he suddenly knew about what was going to happen to him. Before that was an oblivious Deacon.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

How do you contradict yourself in one sentence, without a comma.

It's a paradox.

edit: And it should have said that I'm sad to see it go, but glad to see it got an ending. That was an absolute blowout.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo what an amazing show. I can't believe they were able to end that so well. I started getting that nostalgic sick feeling when Cassie was looking up the house they lived in. No way in hell would I ever be able to live in that house knowing that the person I lived with in it would never exist. There were so many terrible ways they could have gone with the ending. They could have had Cole make his way up to that house, find Cassie there, and then she no longer remembers him because the ripples of time made their way to her and she no longer had those experiences anymore. Instead they had a good ending that doesn't ruin everything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too much Canada in sci-fi. The cove where he proposed in is the same as in the finale of The Expanse and an episode of Killjoys.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 7, 2018

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too much Canada in sci-fi. The cove where he proposed in is the same as in the finale of The Expanse and an episode of Killjoys.

Just accept that Vancouver is every location in SciFi TV.

Everytime O'Neill's (two L's) cabin from SG1 shows up on a show I wonder if there are fish in the pond

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I liked that Deacon, when he sees Ramse and Cole for the first time after having betrayed them, and I think killing his brother in the timeline, totally just forgives them because they appeal to his childlike love for West VII.

It was really nice having the nosebleeds make sense because I was trying to sort that out. Basically a lot of the show feels tied up. On a rewatch maybe there's plot holes but at least as it is it feels like it closed up well.

This show has some absolutely fantastic character work and as much as a grump and nihilist as I am in my media, I was really really glad there was a happy end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was lovely. I can't believe how excellently they tied up the show.

Request thread title change

12 Monkeys: Don't you forget about me because I had the time of my life

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
What a loving show, and a perfect ending. Can't believe they managed to tie everything together so well with all the different timelines and interactions.

Also, I nominate Jennifer for best character in anything ever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Awesome finale, I'm still processing.

I'm really thankful this series got a proper ending because it deserved it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wormil posted:

Awesome finale, I'm still processing.

I'm really thankful this series got a proper ending because it deserved it.

I started season 1 again last night. I'm up to Deacon taking the facility. Yay Deacon!

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I knew as soon as I saw that the program was v 1.1 that things were going to get wild. I love that they upped the budget for the red forest.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Emerson Cod posted:

With James Callis coming back from some point after the end of the series and Terry Matalas talking about a potential season 5 and/or a Jennifer spin-off I have a feeling they've got a continuation in the works. I think that's fine, if so. This series had a great ending. If the people who want to stay with these characters a bit longer, why the hell not?

As much as I would love to see the show go on, it was such a perfect and good finale, I'd hate to roll it back. Like I am one of those people who says "sure the Seasons 1-5 Kripke arc of Supernatural was great and would have made a great series ending, but I am glad the show has gone on for another 10 seasons." I'd gladly have done more BSG. But this ending was so happy (...or WAS it? :tinfoil: ) I don't want to lose that.

My questions--was the Aethan we saw meeting Jones in 2040 or so meant to be one after he was shot? Implying he lived and fixed his travel vest? Also where did the travel vest come from that Cole had in the church--was it the one the guy was fixing in the future?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

New avatar guy poo poo his pants at the finale

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Finally saw the last episodes. This was one of the best sci-fi shows I have seen and such an amazing ending, I honestly can't remember a show with a better more satisfying ending than this.
I'm sad to see it go, but glad it didn't drag out. Will definitely have to do a re-watch of it soon.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Astroman posted:

Also where did the travel vest come from that Cole had in the church--was it the one the guy was fixing in the future?

Yes, earlier in the episode it was shown that he was fixing it in the future. Thus Cole finally becoming Future rear end in a top hat.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think s02e10 Fatherland might be my fav episode so far. The team are in 1961 with Agent Gale.
I'm seeing a lot more detail on the rewatch.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I liked the ending I’m just a sucker for the movie ending and thought they should have ended it where it began. Pretty much like every season finale was like.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Am I alone in being confused at the ending? How can Cole still exist without being born?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fallenturtle posted:

Am I alone in being confused at the ending? How can Cole still exist without being born?

He was born.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Rocksicles posted:

He was born.

But I thought the events that led up to his conception (Hanna and that other girl being chanced and then running through the woods and finding Cole's daddy) were erased?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fallenturtle posted:

But I thought the events that led up to his conception (Hanna and that other girl being chanced and then running through the woods and finding Cole's daddy) were erased?

But the splinter crew all had the shots, that means they exist outside of time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The final splinter sequence just edited him out of time altogether, total non-existance for the normal timeline. That also erased project splinter which means Hanna wouldn't have been able to go back in time to conceive him. It sidesteps the paradox basically.

The only people that retained memories of the prime timeline were those who were pulled forward in time, experienced the events, and then put back. Their injections insulated them from the effects of Cole being scrubbed from the timeline.

The final change that Jones did was pop prime Cole back in time to where Jennifer and Cassy were rather than splintering him out of existence. His injections insulated him from the effects of his own timeline erasure so just erasing his timeline wouldn't stop him from existing at that point. He's still a walking paradox, but time is "allowing" it since it owed him for fixing things and eliminating the predestination paradox of his original conception.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They restored the backup copy of him from the last time the machine did a backup.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The only thing I didn't like about the series was personifying time, it's a bit too cheesy and convenient.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

wormil posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the series was personifying time, it's a bit too cheesy and convenient.

I don't disagree about it being cheesy and convenient, but it's I think the first time I'd ever see the concept of "time itself" having a will more than just "Time abhors a paradox" so I kind of like it for the idea that it had preferable states of existence.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

wormil posted:

I think that's what made the ending hard for me to swallow, I was trying to view the show through a scientific lens and not a fantasy lens, which I guess was foolish of me because why else would there be a red forest if not for a fantastical element.

As a side note, I'm disappointed that we never got to meet who Olivia hired to do the UI design for Titan control panel. (Unless it was Emma, but I figured she was more of a technical engineer and a graphic designer of some sort would have done the UI).

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

wormil posted:

Olivia was far better as the cat stalking time as her prey than she was at being the Overloard of it. She was never really the Whitness. Ethan always was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I didn't mind the personification of time thing because it never really came up that much. It's not like they actually had a person show up as time.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Just accept that Vancouver is every location in SciFi TV.

Everytime O'Neill's (two L's) cabin from SG1 shows up on a show I wonder if there are fish in the pond

But this is Toronto...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

fallenturtle posted:

I think that's what made the ending hard for me to swallow, I was trying to view the show through a scientific lens and not a fantasy lens, which I guess was foolish of me because why else would there be a red forest if not for a fantastical element.

Yeah, I listened to some of the podcasts after that had the creator/showrunner, and when somebody tried to get into the mechanics of how that sort of paradox could work, he pretty much just handwaved it and admitted that he and the other writers decided at some point "this is just a show, you should really just relax".

• Locked thread