Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Speaking of stuff that doesn’t seem to fit, is there a genera opinion on the chained ogre? I find it’s placement really odd and it breaks up the Ashina general progression up to Gyoubu that I think would be super clean otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
He's fine? It's just another boss, with the various lessons of "danger symbols exist for a reason" and "he's gonna grab you, so don't let him do that" and finally "we just told you he's weak to X, so use X you giant moron". The second Ogre at the bottom of the castle post-invasion was actually delightful, was like toying with my food, and I was disappointed that he didn't respawn like the other downgraded bosses.

Every boss has the potential to be a roadblock if you somehow lucked through the previous one.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Yeah he teaches danger symbols well but the other generals do that too. I guess I put him and DoH in a similar box because both feel a bit out of place. I agree that the second one is great.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Imo they wanted a progression of "handsy giant beast man" type bosses. Ogre>Guardian Ape>Demon of Hatred>Hoarah Loux

just doesn't work very well because they are outnumbered hugely by "sword guy"

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

voiceless anal fricative posted:

You can and should parry him lots! Just not every attack.

If there's anything I'd criticise about the fight it's that his posture regen is too high. You're unlikely to posture break him before his HP gets below like 10% which is genuinely out of sync with the rest of the game.

Quite a few bosses have very high natural posture regeneration at any level of vitality. Like it's very difficult to posture break Owl if you don't deal at least half their health bar, or Isshin 2. Or Guardian Ape, his posture bar functionally does not exist. So it's not unique to DoH.

And alot of the positioning tricks you can use against DoH are also very handy against other bosses. DoH emphasises positioning and blindspotting more than the rest of the roster.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
is there anywhere to get more Snap Seeds for fighting Lady Butterfly?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

skasion posted:

Imo they wanted a progression of "handsy giant beast man" type bosses. Ogre>Guardian Ape>Demon of Hatred>Hoarah Loux

just doesn't work very well because they are outnumbered hugely by "sword guy"

It's Manus>Cleric Beast>Demon of Hatred imo

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I think Chained Ogre is also meant to be a little bit of a roadblock, since there are a few things in that area that are easy to miss (the Hirata bell lady) or are much easier to notice if you're backtracking (the vendor). I personally found him to be way easier than the area that follows, with the combination of a general and a bunch of guys around him.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

RealityWarCriminal posted:

There's 5 in the valley where you sneak past the snake early on.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Alternatively, you don't really need snap seeds, just sprint around in circles when the illusions come out and you won't get hit

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah but then I can't use malcontent.

You can only use Malcontent three times per fight before it stops working, which only uses 12 emblems.

There's another boss later on that you're better off saving them for. There are only fixed drops until the late game, where you can buy them with no limit (but little use for them at that point).

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

BioThermo posted:

There's 5 in the valley where you sneak past the snake early on.

I got those and another from an npc, but I used some and still havent killed her. probably need to git gud

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I got those and another from an npc, but I used some and still havent killed her. probably need to git gud

Running laps around the arena is very effective at avoiding the illusion dudes and the projectiles they turn into. It's not fast, but you don't need to use the snap seeds.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I like to hassle Butterfly with shurikens when she does her wire fu bullshit, so I just treat the phantoms as a chance to get some emblems back

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Watching Shogun made me want to pick this up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'd actually say that snap seeds are worse than just running around, because you're more likely to get hit while you stand still to activate the seed, and it also only dispells the illusions close to you so if you aren't standing right in the middle you're likely to miss some anyway. Just sprint around, and make sure you hide behind a pillar when they all dissolve into projectiles.