Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They also put those dual wielding monkeys in though. Them and those straw hat guys in senpou are tougher than most of the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Holy poo poo glad I'm not the only one, the first time I ran into the white dual wielding monkey I felt like the bad guy in John Wick.

Stuck on owl right now but it's a fun fight, kinda feels like fighting a human player almost.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been trying it after a long time of doubting myself and thinking I can't get very far. Which is more or less what's been happening. I've played all souls games and Elden Ring, but even in the beginning it feels like it's on a different level. I struggled the whole evening in the second (?) area Hirata castle with two bosses (the Shinobi hunter and the Drunkard) and finally managed to beat the latter with the help of the NPC. After getting my rear end kicked incredibly by Lady Butterfly (she more or less 1-shots me and I can maybe get a couple hits in per fight) I decided to rest it for the day. However I feel like it doesn't bode well if every boss encounter has a phase of me googling "how to beat [boss]" or watching a Youtube video on it.

It's tough for me because it's really hard to get a feel when the attacks are coming. I realize I need to get away from the souls habit of dodging instead of blocking, but when the attacks are fast, it's just so tough to get counter in time. I tried ages to get the Mikiri counter to with against the spear guy and eventually just hit him a lot without even trying to counter. But so far the old lady seems like a real step-up even in the bosses until now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Lady Butterfly is at the end of a (technically optional!) side path and is significantly harder than the "intended" progression route, especially at that point in the game. Honestly the fact that you were even able to reach her in the first place means you're doing well and will probably breeze through the actual early game route, which involves going as far as you can in the real world and then dropping off a cliff near the broken bridge, down to a ledge with a buddha statue, and sneaking past a giant snake.

It's really easy to reach the area in question and just not see how you're supposed to move forwards; I did the exact same thing on my first playthrough.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That is interesting, I didn't even think I wasn't supposed to be in the flashback. I'll have to see if I can find the other "proper" route later.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I've been trying it after a long time of doubting myself and thinking I can't get very far. Which is more or less what's been happening. I've played all souls games and Elden Ring, but even in the beginning it feels like it's on a different level. I struggled the whole evening in the second (?) area Hirata castle with two bosses (the Shinobi hunter and the Drunkard) and finally managed to beat the latter with the help of the NPC. After getting my rear end kicked incredibly by Lady Butterfly (she more or less 1-shots me and I can maybe get a couple hits in per fight) I decided to rest it for the day. However I feel like it doesn't bode well if every boss encounter has a phase of me googling "how to beat [boss]" or watching a Youtube video on it.

It's tough for me because it's really hard to get a feel when the attacks are coming. I realize I need to get away from the souls habit of dodging instead of blocking, but when the attacks are fast, it's just so tough to get counter in time. I tried ages to get the Mikiri counter to with against the spear guy and eventually just hit him a lot without even trying to counter. But so far the old lady seems like a real step-up even in the bosses until now.

If you're struggling on the Mikiri counter, you might be doing it wrong - the tooltip is a bit misleading because it looks like it says "left stick + dodge", but what it's saying is "left stick neutral + dodge" - i.e. just hit the dodge button, don't input a direction. The timing is extremely generous.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I always have the left stick pointed forward when I do it, it's never been a problem and feels more natural for me.

The trainer guy at home base is good to learn the mechanics of mikiri, but for actual practice he's way too nice - find a relevant enemy in the world and just kill them over and over until you respond to their attacks by second nature

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah I never do neutral dodge inputs either because my brain doesnt work that way. It still registers just fine.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah I very much think of it as "dodge forwards to mikiri counter". The timing is incredibly generous.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TeaJay posted:

This game has a steep learning curve compared to any of the other Fromsoft action games. They all kind of work the same way—your first one will likely be steep but to some extent you can transfer your skills to the next one. This game is like having your first Souls game again, the combat just flows differently and it will probably take a while to get used to. Imo the most important thing about it is that the best defense is offense. You have no stamina to run out of, so don’t wait for the enemy, attack first and often and dictate the pace of the fight.

bobmagic
May 12, 2001

TeaJay posted:

I honestly think Sekiro is harder to pick up the more souls games you've played because you have to unlearn your souls habits and play it on its own terms. As you mention a big part of that is changing your instinctive "oh poo poo" reaction from dodging to blocking/deflecting (or attacking to interrupt!). Going and exploring the proper route outside of the memory is definitely a good recommendation, your health starts out very low and even just one or two prayer necklaces from exploring make a big difference in survivability.

A couple things that might help:
  • You mention the attacks are too fast to respond to - you can always just hold block to have the equivalent of a souls 100% physical block shield rather than trying to perfectly deflect every attack at first.
  • Holding block like this lets you hear the timing of the enemies' attacks (like Lady Butterfly's string of kicks in a row). Once you've got the timing down you can hold block and then quickly let go and hold it again for each attack. If your timing was right you'll get the deflect, otherwise you're back in safety at the cost of your posture going up a bit. It's pretty rare to actually get punished for maxing out your own posture bar unless you're playing with some of the additional difficulty modifiers active.
  • One thing that is counterintuitive coming from souls is that your own posture buildup goes down faster while holding block, opposite of stamina recovery being slower while blocking in souls
  • Having said all that,

skasion posted:

Imo the most important thing about it is that the best defense is offense. You have no stamina to run out of, so don’t wait for the enemy, attack first and often and dictate the pace of the fight.
  • Constantly attacking enemies puts them on the back foot and limits what moves they use, usually to their easier or less dangerous ones.
  • When attacking enemies they will block or deflect your attacks just like you. If you're attacking and hear a louder CLANG and see a brighter flash they deflected you and now is the time to get ready to deflect their coming counterattack. When you get in the zone it almost becomes a rhythm game of attacking until they deflect, deflecting their counterattack(s), and then resuming your attack. Like, I can hear the "beat" of the Lady Butterfly fight in my mind as I'm typing this.
  • There's a popup telling you about it, but in case you missed it the Lady B fight is partially there to teach you how doing HP damage to an enemy slows their posture recovery so sometimes you have to hurt them some before the posture damage you get from deflects actually starts adding up significantly.
This video lays it all out very well, but fair warning she isn't shy about showing potentially spoiler bosses and enemies in her gameplay examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Mi7zvYkkA

bobmagic fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 20, 2024

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

TeaJay posted:

I can 100% guarantee you are not being aggressive enough. All of us were that way, as it's a core mechanic to the other Souls games- which really boils down to stamina management. If you are now saying "I've been more aggressive, tho", then my response is "then more aggressive than that".

You have to realize: there is NO stamina bar. If you aren't actively attacking, you should be sprinting. I am serious about the latter. In some later boss fights it will be KEY to Always Be Sprinting.

As someone else mentioned, Lady Butterfly isn't the progression route for where you are. Come back to her later. But, next time you fight a miniboss that's giving you trouble - just go FULL loving HAM. The game will begin telling you explicitly in the comments of a certain NPC: hesitation is defeat.

quote:

I realize I need to get away from the souls habit of dodging instead of blocking, but when the attacks are fast, it's just so tough to get counter in time.

You have two problems here: one you realize yourself: dodging is bad. Sprinting will do the job much better than a dodge will anyway. So definitely stop doing that, but the other issue is: you shouldn't be looking to "counter". This is not Souls. It's not "approach enemy, guard up, let them attack, then dodge/block into a punish"- you should "approach" enemies by hitting them with your sword. You cannot play defensively in this one, and believe me - I am the King of Super Safe, Don't Fight Anything I Don't Want To, And Will Cheese It If There's A Way Souls playing, but that approach does not work in this game.

You have to learn to break Posture, or some fights will just be ENDLESS, because you will do so little actual damage. Start by just holding block. Remember - no stamina bar to manage, and posture recovers faster when blocking, not the other way around. Then try to learn how to release it and press it to deflect. Even just lightly tapping it constantly will land you more deflects than not, until you learn the tells and pick up the timing. But you have to force the Souls impulse to dodge out of your head.

Another one you may be stumbling on: attacks by HUGE enemies with HUGE weapons can still be deflected. Remember - large attacks like that break poise in Souls games because they eat your entire stamina bar. You have neither Poise (Posture is not the same thing), nor a stamina bar here. So deflect that poo poo.

I had to force myself out of some Souls habits, same as you, sounds like- but I absolutely adore Sekiro. I hope all that helps and you can continue playing. It's a great game.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It's worth noting that one you've gitten gud enough, there are some attacks out there that are far better punished by dodging, like ranged attacks, or heavy combo finishers that would otherwise knock you back several steps even after a successful deflect. Instead, if you dodge those, you can immediately punish with chip damage to their health bars.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, the "normal" path definitely seems a lot easier than the flashback. I made it to the horse boss and defeated him. (mostly I just held block and tried to deflect some of the stuff that was easier to see.) Firecracker helped too.

I think the hints about being more aggressive definitely helped. My own posture bar fills quite a lot if I just hold block but I try to weave in some deflects when I can.

Currently I'm fighting against the big bull and getting my rear end handed to me, although it definitely seems like it's a gimmick fight I just havent' figured out the gimmick yet (do I have to bait him into hitting a wall, getting stunned, then doing a deathblow, etc etc.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the bull just sucks. if you successfully deflect the charge you'll stun him briefly, and his head takes more damage than the rest of his body, but it's still just a really boring and one-dimensional boss

e: reading up on the wiki it apparently is possible for the bull to crash into a wall and instantly become vulnerable to a deathblow; you can't bait him into the wall via movement, though, it just happens automatically if you deal enough damage directly to the head while doing the above multiple times

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 22, 2024

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I beat him mostly by running behind him and hitting him in the rear end.

Now I have a choice of two routes: abandoned dungeon or the castle proper. (that bell guy before the dungeon shrine/bonfire sure took a beating!) I think that's good progress for one day.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

Well, I beat him mostly by running behind him and hitting him in the rear end.

Now I have a choice of two routes: abandoned dungeon or the castle proper. (that bell guy before the dungeon shrine/bonfire sure took a beating!) I think that's good progress for one day.

Running behind him and hitting him in the rear end is how everybody does it. I've put like 200 hours into Sekiro, beaten the game with a full bell/charm run, beaten the mortal journey "every boss in the game" boss rush, and still have no idea what the "correct" way to fight the bull is supposed to be. It's not a very good fight, but it is kind of an important lesson for later - mobility is a key tool in your arsenal and just standing there deflecting, while it does work most of the time, doesn't work all the time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The absolute loving worst thing about the Bull fight is that it takes place in an inconsistently square-ish arena with a bunch of random obstacles all over the place. But I guess it wouldn't be a Fromsoft game without at least one boss who can kill you by making your camera go apeshit on level geometry the Bull isn't even the worst boss for that lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho the worst part is easily the fire damage, like you could theoretically trial and error the parry timings or do the bull standoff but losing like a fifth of your health when you mistime a deflect is why 90% of players just run around and stab it in the butt.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

voiceless anal fricative posted:

They also put those dual wielding monkeys in though. Them and those straw hat guys in senpou are tougher than most of the bosses.

I don't think I ever beat one of those straw hat guys without cheesing them. They take SO loving LONG.

The monkeys were tough too but I didn't feel bad about firecrackering them to loving death. The straw hat guys pissed me off with my inability to take them down straight up.

I wish I hadn't gotten really into watching Sekiro content from better players than me on YouTube because seeing what people are doing with mods in that game is disgusting. I really, really wish they'd patch Sekiro to include a combat arts wheel, even if you could only switch between a couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb0bTNVWHn8

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I recently replayed Sekiro after not having touched it for a while and weirdly enough I didn't find the double sword monkeys that bad - I remembered them being one of the most terrifying enemies but I was able to take them on in a straight fight without too much trouble. The straw hat monks in senpou are real bastards but I think it's mostly due to how they're placed. One on one they are still pretty annoying, but manageable, but you have to do a lot of cheesy stealth exploits to actually get that one on one fight.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I don't think I ever beat one of those straw hat guys without cheesing them. They take SO loving LONG.

The monkeys were tough too but I didn't feel bad about firecrackering them to loving death. The straw hat guys pissed me off with my inability to take them down straight up.

I wish I hadn't gotten really into watching Sekiro content from better players than me on YouTube because seeing what people are doing with mods in that game is disgusting. I really, really wish they'd patch Sekiro to include a combat arts wheel, even if you could only switch between a couple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb0bTNVWHn8

The strawhat guys are very susceptible to mid-air death blows. You've got to learn the animation that leaves them open to it, but it makes them much easier.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've made it to Genichiro and he's truly kicking my rear end. He feels like the toughest boss in the game so far by far. I can't even get his first health bar down, since he regens his posture so fast if I'm not constantly on him. There's not really room for many errors in what feels like will be a long fight either.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I've made it to Genichiro and he's truly kicking my rear end. He feels like the toughest boss in the game so far by far. I can't even get his first health bar down, since he regens his posture so fast if I'm not constantly on him. There's not really room for many errors in what feels like will be a long fight either.

Genichiro is extremely susceptible to being bullied. There's a rhythm you can attack him at that will almost completely prevent him from getting to respond for most of the first two phases.

Every once in a while he'll get to take his turn back -- he's got a long flurry attack that is difficult but rewarding to full deflect, but honestly you can just dodge the first hit, run away from the rest of it, and then go back in if you're not feeling up to it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Genichiro is a big wall for sure. This would be a good time to go explore other directions and see what else you can accomplish before facing him. Any other boss you can access without beating him is probably going to be easier so you can get yourself a bit stronger to get more of an edge. You can also find most of the gourd seeds before him too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TeaJay posted:

getting some hits in to damage his HP bar will drastically slow down his posture regen.
the beauty of Sekiro is that once you master a long boss fight it stops being a long boss fight and you can destroy the dude you used to struggle with in just a couple minutes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I made it to the third phase once, but since I fumbled with the lightning attack, I had no chance. It's tough to react to stuff you've never seen before.

I read a bit about the "rhythm" of the fight but sometimes he followed it, sometimes he did what he wanted.

Guess my only other option at this point is to continue the boss fight with Lady Butterfly or go explore the Abandoned dungeon.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I usually have a "comfort" game run going for some months while I focus on other things, chipping at it a bit at a time. I've beaten Sekiro a couple of times, but I want to go full hog on it, New Game+, full skills, cheevos, the entire thing... how would I go about it?

I'm thinking 1) normal run/Shura ending, 2) Bell run/normal ending 3) Charmless/Purification and 4)Bell charmless/Return. Any tips?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

When an enemy blocks your attack it'll make one of two slightly different sounds, one of which means you can keep on going without fear of interruption and the other one means they're about to take their turn back and you can't safely sneak another attack in. It's a little subtle but you'll get a feel for it eventually.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I made it to the third phase once, but since I fumbled with the lightning attack, I had no chance. It's tough to react to stuff you've never seen before.

I read a bit about the "rhythm" of the fight but sometimes he followed it, sometimes he did what he wanted.

Guess my only other option at this point is to continue the boss fight with Lady Butterfly or go explore the Abandoned dungeon.

The thing about Genichiro is that he is sort of the point at which you will "get it". When you are capable of beating him is when you have the rhythm of the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Genishiro's position at the top of the castle is so symbolic, I love it. It's a huge long climb up to get there, really invoking ideas of struggling up a mountain to find some prize at the top. (The prize is an asskicking.)

If he's giving you trouble, come back later. There is a lot of side content waiting around, and while he may be guarding the door to the back half of the game's locations there is no real hurry to be pushing the plot along.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

First "real" death of the new run: loving bull.

- First I forgot to install the gunpowder thing.
- Then I miss a deathblow animation thinking that HP chip damage has been enough to kill it.
- Then I fat finger an axe attack instead of peppering it with shuriken.
- Then I die.

I hate that thing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm on Ashina's Castle right now, dealt with the entire Hinata Estate pretty easily, which was a surprise. I'm using special moves much more often (for some reason I thought they spend spirit emblems in my previous runs, so I was really stingy with them), really pleased how much better it's going this time around.

Regarding the climb towards Genishiro (sp?): when you are on the outside of the castle, going through the Nightjar Path, you have to move from the rooftops to the right on the main gate, guarded by one Nightjar you can backstab, to the roof of the main building, guarded by two Nightjars that locate you immediately. Just before the Nightjar that divebombs you.

I'm brute forcing that part, but it feels wrong in this game to attack two dudes at once and spend a lot of healing and tool resources. Am I missing some obvious path?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm on Ashina's Castle right now, dealt with the entire Hinata Estate pretty easily, which was a surprise. I'm using special moves much more often (for some reason I thought they spend spirit emblems in my previous runs, so I was really stingy with them), really pleased how much better it's going this time around.

Regarding the climb towards Genishiro (sp?): when you are on the outside of the castle, going through the Nightjar Path, you have to move from the rooftops to the right on the main gate, guarded by one Nightjar you can backstab, to the roof of the main building, guarded by two Nightjars that locate you immediately. Just before the Nightjar that divebombs you.

I'm brute forcing that part, but it feels wrong in this game to attack two dudes at once and spend a lot of healing and tool resources. Am I missing some obvious path?

When you get up onto the roof you can just sprint past everyone and jump into the window around the corner. Otherwise you pretty much have to take the two of them on at once. Maybe with a stealth sugar you could avoid alerting them both?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I'll probably end up doing that. It just feels a weird change of pace for this game, which is all about controlled confrontations.

Edit: Compare with the fight moments before against the General and his 4 shooty guys: you stealth stab the General from the roofs, hit a samurai two times and deathblow him while you are invulnerable because you´re in the middle of a stabbing animation the other three miss their shots because there is a whirlwind of swords and death in their mists, repeat three times and then it's one on one with a half dead General.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 26, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive played Sekiro hundreds of hours and I run past the rooftop ninjas everytime. They are not worth the hassle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm using special moves much more often (for some reason I thought they spend spirit emblems in my previous runs, so I was really stingy with them),

A lot of combat arts do use spirit emblems. some don’t though. Ichimonji and floating passage are the best of the free ones imo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wish I could use combat arts, but my stupid fat fingers always clicked L1/R1 at the same time and man, using Ichimonji when you have a clear opening is great, using it when you meant to guard or do a quick normal attack, not so great.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
After finishing the game only once before on release, I started playing Sekiro again awhile back and after ~18 hours I'm at the end of Mibu Village. Highlights of this run are killing Genichiro and Guardian Ape in one try, and the Headless Ape in like 3. I even learned how to consistently defeat the Snake-Eyes, which were one of my least favorite and most problematic enemies before.

I've never killed any Headless or Shichimen Warrior before, they were too annoying, what are some pro strats for handling these guys?

I have a vague desire to go for multiple NG+ runs and I'm also wondering what is the best ending order to go for. I've only done Immortal Severance on Playstation before but after re-buying on Steam I started from scratch, achievement-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Once you have access to a ready supply of divine confetti and terror-dispelling items headless and shichimen warriors are pretty easy. They're really a gear check more than anything else.

On PC I think a lot of people go along the path of the return ending first as if you qualify for multiple non-shura endings you get a choice about which one you want to take after the final boss, meaning you can back up your save and do all three without having to fully replay the game. Then a shura NG+ playthrough is relatively quick and easy.