Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shichimens are pretty trivial with divine confetti and some treatment for terror buildup. The stuff they drop is really good.

Headless are much more annoying because they slow you and their loot is mediocre. It’s a non-consumable version of a sugar that lasts half as long and costs spirit emblems. But you get a zillion sugars in this game! they’re basically not worth fighting imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

skasion posted:

But you get a zillion sugars in this game! they’re basically not worth fighting imo

That's what I figured before so I skipped them completely. On one of the wikis they recommend using Phoenix's Lilac Umbrella but I have almost zero experience with that prosthetic so not sure if it's that much of a help.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Against the Headless it’s only so useful because they do wide slooow sweeping strikes and a backstab 100% chance to kill ball grab move, but it’s really nice for the warriors since their phase 2 gives them a fear-elemental kamehameha and you’re being harried a lot more in general.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Last Celebration posted:

Against the Headless it’s only so useful because they do wide slooow sweeping strikes and a backstab 100% chance to kill ball grab move, but it’s really nice for the warriors since their phase 2 gives them a fear-elemental kamehameha and you’re being harried a lot more in general.

You can deflect the kamehameha though

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can also midair deathblow the shichimen warrriors when they're jumping around (have to have divine confetti active though). It can be finicky to catch them since they usually don't do it if you're close to them, but if you can bait it out you can take them down in like 30 seconds. With headless the goal is to try to get them to do their "teleports behind you" move; if you turn around and start attacking before they reappear you can stagger them out of the grab before they can do it and generally rack up a lot of free damage. The main trouble with headless is just getting the wonky timing on deflecting their swings down, and the fact that you can't really run around while the mist is up (dealing enough damage will cause the mist to go away for a bit though). The underwater ones are a lot easier since you don't have to use confetti for them, you basically just hit and run, swimming in to score a few hits and then dodging away when they start winding up an attack.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In my fight against Genichiro I spent a few hours last thursday getting my rear end handed to me, getting to the final phase maybe twice. I took some time off and tried again today (since a friend of mine also started the game, and I didn't want him to do better than me - spite is always a powerful motivator). I got in the last phase a few times, but it's tough since there's no learning his moves in the time I get there. I still struggle with the earlier phases, especially when he doesn't play nice and jumps away to do a bow attack. This is especially tough in the 3rd phase since whenever i read about it online, they just say to keep attacking and he'll do the same thing he does in the previous phases - but for me he always just seem to jump around and shoot arrows which always gets me. I can even dodge the lightning, since it's a drat slow and telegraphed move, the fast jumps and arrows just tend to be my bane. That and I still don't quite know what his perilous attacks are gonna be in that phase.

e: I once got him just missing a deathblow but messed up the buttons and died

ee: finally beat him, he even started to walk away since I didn't realize I have to do a "story" deathblow, lol

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 28, 2024

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
With the jumping back bow attack, basically the thing is just not to get greedy because it specifically exists to punish that. Genichiro is a balancing act between keeping the aggression up so that you can keep the initiative and prevent him from regaining posture, but not pressing so hard that you lose the ability to react to what he's doing. I always found his perilous attacks really difficult as well, it only really "clicked" for me on a recent replay where I managed to train myself to stop mashing jump/dodge reflexively and actually giving my brain time to register what he was doing before selecting the appropriate counter. This helped a lot through the rest of the game and dealing with other bosses that have similar mixups - they give you more time to respond than you think and the biggest problem is often that you're reacting too fast.

It's counter-intuitive, but something that helps a ton in Sekiro is to slow down in general - it can be hard when you've got the adrenaline going and your body is telling you to mash R1 as quickly as possible until they deflect you, but getting into the rhythm of the game is basically all about finding the "beat" of your attack speed and only hitting the button when you need to (i.e. R1 -> attack -> R1 -> attack rather than R1R1R1R1->Attack->R1R1R1 etc.). A lot of bosses tend to have pretty consistent patterns to when they'll deflect your attacks, where it's a one-two-THREE thing, and really settling into that can allow you to anticipate their counter-attack and mentally prepare for it rather than trying to catch everything on reflex. This is why people often say the game actually gets easier when you get more aggressive - they've already internalized those rhythms and not relying so much on twitch reactions is actually a lot less mentally draining.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 28, 2024

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
Just huck a shuriken at him if he jumps up to fire his four arrows. The timing is a little fiddly but it's easier than hitting the four deflects :v:

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

lordfrikk posted:

I've never killed any Headless or Shichimen Warrior before, they were too annoying, what are some pro strats for handling these guys?

I’m on my first playthrough and was getting wrecked by Headless, and demoralized because it was chewing up my divine confetti stocks, before I saw the tip to just use the phoenix’s lilac umbrella plus the projected force skill. This means you are post Guardian Ape to get that prosthetic upgrade.

You can easily guard with the umbrella, absorb the spirit energy of the attack or whatever, then attack back and do major health damage. It made the fight almost trivially easy with this gear+skill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56USZmA7E5g

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Zwingley posted:

Just huck a shuriken at him if he jumps up to fire his four arrows. The timing is a little fiddly but it's easier than hitting the four deflects :v:

I'm pretty sure if you're playing with maximum aggression you can interrupt the arrow volley with R1. The key is to be moving towards him when he tries to jump back and you can just catch him to interrupt. I know this works in the first phase Genichiro when you're at the final fight against Isshin because that's my favorite fight in all of gaming and I just replayed it

I'm due for a full replay soon so I'll try and confirm if my memory is right. I don't think I've dealt with the arrow volley in a long time. It's so fun when it clicks and you can just bully Genichiro all over.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

whiskey patrol posted:

I'm pretty sure if you're playing with maximum aggression you can interrupt the arrow volley with R1. The key is to be moving towards him when he tries to jump back and you can just catch him to interrupt. I know this works in the first phase Genichiro when you're at the final fight against Isshin because that's my favorite fight in all of gaming and I just replayed it

I'm due for a full replay soon so I'll try and confirm if my memory is right. I don't think I've dealt with the arrow volley in a long time. It's so fun when it clicks and you can just bully Genichiro all over.

This is correct. I found the key to get this working reliably is to force him into a corner, so when he jumps "back" he's still within sword range and just gets donked out of the air.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

whiskey patrol posted:

I'm pretty sure if you're playing with maximum aggression you can interrupt the arrow volley with R1. The key is to be moving towards him when he tries to jump back and you can just catch him to interrupt.

I can confirm this, I’m working through Mortal Journey when I have the time and I fight him a couple times a week. If you’re fast you can swipe him as he’s jumping up and he’s roll back in surprise. If you’re really fast you can get it before then and he won’t get surprised, which feels pretty bad lol.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Replayed this for the first time in a while, having switched from PS4 to PS5. Did something happen with the snipers at the gun fort (and I think the poison first poison area as well) to turn them into eagle-eyed crack shots? I don't recall having anywhere near as much trouble back in the day, now I'm getting shot out of the air multiple times by snipers on the other side of the map just trying to get to Snake Eyes. On the flipside, I had a much easier time with Owl(Father), DoH and SSI than I was expecting.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Pretty sure that bit was always like running into a wall of bullets. Still, if you mostly stick to swinging around they usually miss you.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I wanna say it was always like that, yeah. Knowing what to expect certainly made it less of an issue than the first time, I will say…

I have 2 bosses left and this was such a breezy play through compared to the sweaty first one lol, mentally I’m already gearing up for the next one. This game is GOAT.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I know people generally hate the bull but I really like how it highlights your progress as a player. You go from running around like mad on your first try, to using firecrackers as the smart alternative, to just baiting and deflecting its charge, which it rewards by skidding into a really easy to position to hit.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do I fight the Shichimen warrior in the Abandoned dungeon? First I tried he just filled me with terror and I died instantly.

Or am I too early for that guy? I've been mostly backtracking and buying stuff from merchants, my next goal is to find Senpou Temple and get the Mortal blade (?) but AFAIK there's many different paths for me now. I could even try a rematch with the Lady Butterfly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

How do I fight the Shichimen warrior in the Abandoned dungeon? First I tried he just filled me with terror and I died instantly.

Or am I too early for that guy? I've been mostly backtracking and buying stuff from merchants, my next goal is to find Senpou Temple and get the Mortal blade (?) but AFAIK there's many different paths for me now. I could even try a rematch with the Lady Butterfly.

If you don't have any divine confetti, yes, you are too early for him. Shichimen Warriors and Headless both have a "gear check" in the form of requiring the divine confetti buff to be active to do basically any damage to them. The buff doesn't last very long so you will probably need more than one. You can eventually buy a gourd that lets you cure your terror buildup and gives a temporary resistance buff as well, which is helpful not not strictly required.

I usually leave the undead minibosses until the late game when you can buy unlimited divine confetti from shops - you can take them on earlier but it's easy to burn through whatever supply you've built up while just trying to learn the fight. That said, Shichimen Warriors are not actually that hard, you can avoid 95% of their poo poo by just running around and when you get in melee range you can go ham on them because they have basically one melee combo that's pretty easy to deflect.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The purple umbrella is also good to have for shichimen fights, it lets you no-sell the terror beam.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, the first Sichimen you find is totally doable without confetti, doubly so since his reward is amazing if you get it early. The headless certainly do need the confetti tho.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You might have picked up a few confettis in Outskirts or Hirata also. Enough to give it a shot anyway

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Paracelsus posted:

The purple umbrella is also good to have for shichimen fights, it lets you no-sell the terror beam.

You can deflect the terror beam, no need for the umbrella upgrade

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't fight the shichimen without divine confetti, especially not on your first play. Just a frustrating and needlessly difficult way to learn the fight.

You should be able to avoid his terror build up though. His Kamehameha beam can be deflected, with very lenient timing. His big ball attack isn't too hard to avoid by running around, just don't get close when he's doing his summoning thing. Once he's finished you're good to get in and attack.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I respectfully disagree, strongly. I beat the Sichimen blind on my first playthrough, maybe not the very instant I saw him, but I certainly came back to him a few times. All of his attacks can be avoided by just running around like a headless chicken (until you're confident enough to do it right), and the reward for victory is such a very big deal.

I feel it's quite intentional how he's so very visible with some goodies scattered around his arena, while conversely the headless is hidden away and has an escape route out of the arena.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I just did all 3 Shichimen Warrior and having Phoenix's Lilac Umbrella and Mottled Purple Gourd makes them trivial. The ground Headless are also trivialized with the umbrella, but the underwater one (specifically talking about the one in Fountainhead Palace which has a ghostly twin) was giving me trouble so I left it alone.

Now I'm stuck on the Demon of Hatred. It's my first time fighting it. I reduced it to a slice of life on the last Deathblow counter once but have been dying in the third phase for a while now. I seem to be inconsistently getting hit by the fire swing he does when you're almost near it, and by the fire wave in the second phase even though I've managed to avoid it by jumping and then grappling back several times.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The malcontent upgrade for the finger whistle can stun the demon up to three times, if you save it for the third phase and aggressively attack while he's stunned you can skip almost the entire phase.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Party Boat posted:

The malcontent upgrade for the finger whistle can stun the demon up to three times, if you save it for the third phase and aggressively attack while he's stunned you can skip almost the entire phase.

Thanks, that did the trick! When it comes to the Demon of Hatred, I think I align with those who believe it's not quite a fitting match for a game like Sekiro.

After that, I promptly moved on to defeat SSI in just two attempts. It's truly amazing how that fight felt like slipping into a comfortable pair of shoes, after I spent around 5 hours practicing it the first time.

As for playtimes, the first time was 48 hours, this time was 30 hours (and I did a bunch of additional stuff I didn't do the first time).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Demon of Hatred is to Bloodborne what Malenia is to Sekiro imo, he's kinda not meant to fit (whether you enjoy that or not is another matter)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont like DoH much but that fight makes good use of grappling hook and it looks sick.

My only complaint is that big bosses in Sekiro love to run away from you.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

DoH is fine except for that drat fireball wave attack I never learned how to dodge. Otherwise, it's the same deal: get up in his poo poo and don't let up unless you have to. And fight dirty.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont like DoH much but that fight makes good use of grappling hook and it looks sick.

True. I really like how Sekiro made use of the grappling hook in general.

Parallelwoody posted:

DoH is fine except for that drat fireball wave attack I never learned how to dodge.

What worked for me every time is running to the side and jumping as he slams down his hand, then grappling. However you can't be too close otherwise it seems to come out too fast to dodge.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Parallelwoody posted:

DoH is fine except for that drat fireball wave attack I never learned how to dodge.

The Red Umbrella works here, IIRC, but it has been a while.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fire umbrella is what I used

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

No Dignity posted:

Demon of Hatred is to Bloodborne what Malenia is to Sekiro imo, he's kinda not meant to fit (whether you enjoy that or not is another matter)

Demon of Hatred is basically just a reskinned Midir-style dragon fight and he's a million times better suited to being in Sekiro than in Dark Souls by virtue of the existence of the grappling hook alone (not to mention the lack of a stamina bar, perilous attacks, etc.)

like he's a thoroughly mid fight in Sekiro, don't get me wrong, my DoH apologia is more about excusing him than praising him, but he was a garbage fight in DS3

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 2, 2024

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I love DoH, one of my favourite fights in the game. I agree he's distinct from other bosses, but only because you have to make use of your mobility and be more careful about your positioning. That's a good thing though, imo. I wish more fights were like him.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

HaB posted:

The Red Umbrella works here, IIRC, but it has been a while.

Yeah but then I can't use malcontent.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

voiceless anal fricative posted:

I love DoH, one of my favourite fights in the game. I agree he's distinct from other bosses, but only because you have to make use of your mobility and be more careful about your positioning. That's a good thing though, imo. I wish more fights were like him.

You're right that positioning is more important but I'd argue that's only because parry is second-class citizen in that boss fight. The whole game teaches you that parry is the best offense AND defense but with DoH you spend a lot of time evading attacks and waiting for your opportunity to attack.

I can tell you confidently that if they made most enemies like that, Sekiro would be far from my favorite.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah but then I can't use malcontent.

I use the tanto between each stage so I can use the umbrella, malcontent and mortal draw at the end.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My sole wish for Demon of Hatred is for deflecting his fire arm to not deal chip damage to you. I think it's fine that you can fight him like he was a Dark Souls boss and the grappling hook + lack of a stamina bar makes it basically tolerable, but I don't want to be punished for succeeding at going toe-to-toe with it even if the math works out such that he'll probably die before you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You can and should parry him lots! Just not every attack.

If there's anything I'd criticise about the fight it's that his posture regen is too high. You're unlikely to posture break him before his HP gets below like 10% which is genuinely out of sync with the rest of the game.