Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

With a better offset those Kia rims would look pretty boss. Just like of those Smart rims were flat they'd look poop. The science is sound.

*edit: content from https://kyushashoes.com/ which is possibly the biggest library of rare old Japanese wheels on the internet. There's so so many.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

um excuse me posted:

Dude, you couldn't pay me to take that wheel.

It's the other wheel bent to gently caress in the picture that I'd avoid.

I love wheels, and I agree the right wheels make the car. I'm all about 5 spoke and very thin multi-spoke. 6, 7, 8, or 9 spoke wheels do nothing for me. The RUF Speedlines shown earlier are perfection, but nobody makes anything like that to fit a Volvo in my snack bracket.

My first foray into aftermarket wheels was in 1996, after I'd purchased my first adult car and began adulting with my new wife. Enkei 5 spoke (split) wheels, polished aluminum face. My new wife and I fought and fought over spending the extra money on 16" and I caved and got 15".

Then after dropping all that painfully argued over coin, she loving curbed one of them (and I am not making this up) the very next day. I was infuriated, lived with that gouge for the next decade. And she wasn't a bad or careless driver, which made it worse. Such a painful mistake so soon just smacked of subtext and intent. They never had another curb mark on them, either.

Starting in the late 90's Volvo began specifying some gorgeous factory wheels. They of course contract with Borbet, BBS, and others to make them. I bought the same BBS as Terrible Robot has up there, which were stock for the C70, and I stuck them on a 960 to start:

Then I stuck them on my V70:

And I cannot wait to stick them on my R. I might even do it tonight if I am motivated and the weather clears. They're a timeless design, now 20 years old.

I bought the 17" version with slightly different spoke shape for my 122:

Another now-classic Volvo wheel, which evolved from a 16" in the 90's all the way to 18" and is available in 19" aftermarket. Each size was a different name but the R version introduced in 04 is called Pegasus.

I ran those on my C70 until I found my new favorite wheel, the Enkei RSF5:

Those look great on the R as well, and don't need spacers at all. I'm tempted to use them there but I actually don't like the silver BBS on the silver car, it washes out. Even though the Enkeis and Pegasus were silver, they have a lot of black space in them that contrasts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Those Enkeis look really good, and I'm not generally a fan of split-spoke 5s. Perfect backspacing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bolind posted:

Korean phone dials. Dirty, but actually look good I'd say. Should've been five-lug to satisfy my OCD tho.

I hate that, shopping for five-lug wheels and finding all these wheels that don’t have multiple-of-dive decorative elements.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.facebook.com/drainwheels/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

Then I stuck them on my V70:

Looks amazing! Best out of the bunch.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Looks amazing! Best out of the bunch.

Yeah that was a really good period for Volvo style wise - looks perfect with those wheels.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
The only car I had anything other than stock wheels on was my GTP. Out of necessity too. The stock chrome had a tendency to peel off in great big chunks leading to leaks.

They were just stock sized ASA ones that were on sale on tire rack. I think k they looked pretty nice on that car though.

These were the stock wheels for reference...

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Just some solidworks doodling. May instead look into what real E50 centers cost.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It just crossed my mind that Jongbloed makes wheels similar to what you're looking for.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, the Jongbloed 557s could work. Basketweave BBS style stuff is growing on me the more I play with it in CAD too.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey mekilljoydammit, you were looking for some examples of extreme offset wheels right?

:pwn:

https://www.facebook.com/BBSwheelclassifieds/

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

That's... something. Going from the dimensions I know for the wheel halves, I can get everything to a range of where I want it probably with normal dimension E50s... something like that and the wheel bolts would be interfering with the caliper.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

drat, and I thought 16mm spacers were a stretch!

Speaking of, here's a teaser, but the car and wheels are filthy, and twilight was happening. Pics of clean car in the sun coming soon. Definitely needs lowering but without a fender pull in the front it's going to rub pretty bad. On the positive side though, in stock height I can't make it rub at all.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its a drat shame more manu's dont use Bronze as a colour option because god drat do I want some bronze wheels on my car that arent going to super expensive TE37s or CE28Ns

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Buy Japanese wheels, I'm fairly positive they all have a bronze option and have done for quite some time!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Enkei rpf1 dont.

And I have to clear brembos which further narrows the selection.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Track wheels, or as I call them the wheels that are always on the car

Advan RG

These were originally white but the finish was flaking off, never managed to get the stickers for em reproduced either

Road wheels, better known as the wheels that have been sitting inside the house for ages

Rays Mazdaspeed LM01 sans centers

I'll have to replace the advans at some point because I'm pretty sure they were manufactured in the late 90's.

Before these I had SSR Professor SP1's which I spent way too much getting refurbed and then managed to bend the lips in about 5 minutes of London driving and Buddy Club P1's which were great and I can't remember why I sold em.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had some P1s, they're a really nice wheel.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

E: double post

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
This is as good a spot as any to ask a dumb question about wheels.

I'm in the market for some wheels for my Jetta. Seen here on 14" Kosei K1 TS's:

It's currently 4x100, and I'm not keen on going 5-lug immediately.

I'm a big fan of 5-spoke designs, including the ubiquitous Rota Slipstream, as seen here on my Fit:

And here on a similar VW, albeit with a Golf front end:

However, I really don't like the multi-hole look that seems to be the only available option in the current Slipstream. I swear my old set was just 4x100, with no additional holes.
Is there a similar wheel that's out there for reasonable money, in 15" or 16", 4x100, with a VW hub bore (57.1mm or larger)?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You might be biased on price if your wheels are Rotas. They are replica manufacturers. The Rotas you have were based off of Spoon Sports SW388 which are ~$1,800 a set.

I don't like to recommend replica wheels because my choices are usually racing based. Someone else might be able to chime in with cheaper options but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Rays GramLights 57CR

SSR GTV01

Enkei VR5

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Does anyone make anything similar to AR wheels in 20"?

That style but I have massive brakes to clear.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

sharkytm posted:

This is as good a spot as any to ask a dumb question about wheels.

I'm in the market for some wheels for my Jetta. Seen here on 14" Kosei K1 TS's:

It's currently 4x100, and I'm not keen on going 5-lug immediately.

I'm a big fan of 5-spoke designs, including the ubiquitous Rota Slipstream, as seen here on my Fit:

And here on a similar VW, albeit with a Golf front end:

However, I really don't like the multi-hole look that seems to be the only available option in the current Slipstream. I swear my old set was just 4x100, with no additional holes.
Is there a similar wheel that's out there for reasonable money, in 15" or 16", 4x100, with a VW hub bore (57.1mm or larger)?

I had slips on my E30 for a while. They only had 4x100 bolt holes, and were 16x8 ET20 57.1mm hub.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Same, I have slips on my MR2 that were only drilled for the I *Think* 4x100 that the MR2 is. I bought them 15 years ago though so It's been a while.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

You might be biased on price if your wheels are Rotas. They are replica manufacturers. The Rotas you have were based off of Spoon Sports SW388 which are ~$1,800 a set.

I don't like to recommend replica wheels because my choices are usually racing based. Someone else might be able to chime in with cheaper options but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Rays GramLights 57CR

SSR GTV01

Enkei VR5

Oh, I know they're replicas. I just can't spend $2000 on wheels for a $3000 car. I know, this isn't Automotive Reasonable Choices, but I'm not racing, it's a light car with relatively low power, and I'm a cheap bastard.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I had slips on my E30 for a while. They only had 4x100 bolt holes, and were 16x8 ET20 57.1mm hub.

Unf. That looks so drat good.

TheFonz posted:

Same, I have slips on my MR2 that were only drilled for the I *Think* 4x100 that the MR2 is. I bought them 15 years ago though so It's been a while.
Yeah, but everything for sale now has extra material milled out, which A: weakens the wheel, and B: IMHO, looks awful.
http://www.rotawheels.com/product/slipstream-frr2
I think it's a design change, because I can find pictures of older Slipstreams with only the 4 holes, and even a pair of used ones on eBay, but everything new has the milled out slots.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

Oh, I know they're replicas. I just can't spend $2000 on wheels for a $3000 car. I know, this isn't Automotive Reasonable Choices, but I'm not racing, it's a light car with relatively low power, and I'm a cheap bastard.

I've got $2000 wheels on my $2000 Miata. When you go high end, you can usually re-sell for 80% of new if you keep them in good shape. But I get it, sometimes you want to just be able to drive your car without worrying about your wheels.

If it helps, the VR5s are under $120 each.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Enkei vr5? 15x6.5 4x100 +38, under 150 a wheel.

http://enkei.com/shop/performance/vr5/

And beaten.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

I've got $2000 wheels on my $2000 Miata. When you go high end, you can usually re-sell for 80% of new if you keep them in good shape. But I get it, sometimes you want to just be able to drive your car without worrying about your wheels.

If it helps, the VR5s are under $120 each.
Yeah, I don't want to be the guy who won't drive in the snow or freaks out about a pot hole. I've almost pulled the trigger on a set of used legit SW388's, but $1200 for wheels was just too much for 15's.

jamal posted:

Enkei vr5? 15x6.5 4x100 +38, under 150 a wheel.

http://enkei.com/shop/performance/vr5/

And beaten.
I'll have to do some photoshopping, but I think the spokes are too narrow. I loved the chunky look of the Slips. I feel the same about the 57CR/Rota Attack. The J-SPL is an option from Rota as well.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit torn on stuff like rotas, to me they always look slightly off and I'd rather just buy a second hand genuine wheel instead.

But I'd rather see rotas etc than some of the stuff that people used to buy before they became popular.

Although I did see an EP3 Type R with what looked to be TE37SLs. But on closer inspection the owner had just made fake stickers to mimic the look smdh.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish we got the EP3 Type R here, oh well. Even a clean-ish Si is difficult to find (so I bought an ex-TT FA5 as a DD).

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

TheFonz posted:

Those are modeled after Cragar D Windows, FWIW. They were popular on muscle cars so I think the sizing reflects that. 17x9 is as big as I see.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I really dig the BMW CSL 19" wheels by BBS that came on my M3.

Got a bit of scuffing on two of the wheels so I bought some aluminum spray and bondo, found a guide to wheel repair that I need to give a shot. Seems pretty straight forward but I just need to set aside the time to do it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

I wish we got the EP3 Type R here, oh well. Even a clean-ish Si is difficult to find (so I bought an ex-TT FA5 as a DD).

Most of them are hosed here anyway they were sold dirt cheap when they were new at the time so they were the rudeboy car of choice like the Golf R and S3 are now.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

TheFonz posted:

Detroit Steel Wheels makes some custom in up to 22" that are close to D Windows, but not exactly.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

madeintaipei posted:

Those are modeled after Cragar D Windows, FWIW. They were popular on muscle cars so I think the sizing reflects that. 17x9 is as big as I see.

THANK YOU! I knoew AR was not the OG but I could NOT find the real ones.

bennyfactor posted:

Detroit Steel Wheels makes some custom in up to 22" that are close to D Windows, but not exactly.

I'll check them out. Thanks!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Popete posted:

I really dig the BMW CSL 19" wheels by BBS that came on my M3.

Hot as hell.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, I don't want to be the guy who won't drive in the snow or freaks out about a pot hole. I've almost pulled the trigger on a set of used legit SW388's, but $1200 for wheels was just too much for 15's.

I'll have to do some photoshopping, but I think the spokes are too narrow. I loved the chunky look of the Slips. I feel the same about the 57CR/Rota Attack. The J-SPL is an option from Rota as well.

Just thinking about this and remembered stock NB1 Miata wheels are 15x6 +40 4x100. Best part is they're 5 spoke alloy wheels for ~$200 a set used.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Just thinking about this and remembered stock NB1 Miata wheels are 15x6 +40 4x100. Best part is they're 5 spoke alloy wheels for ~$200 a set used.

Those aren't an option. 54.1mm hub bore vs. the 57.1mm on VW. It the same issue with LOADS of other OEM wheels. I looked at a set of Mini 16's, but same 54.1mm bore. I could have them opened up, by at $25-$50/wheel, it destroys the value proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Need an opinion:

These are my 3 piece BBS RS's:

If I have it taken apart I can change the offset for it correct?

Additionally, the car is 90's Japanese White. What are your thoughts on having the center powder coated goldish (the BMWs had it from factory maybe?) kinda like this: