Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need an opinion:

These are my 3 piece BBS RS's:

If I have it taken apart I can change the offset for it correct?

If there's replacement barrels (the not-middle-part) then yes. I know the motorsports BBSes have available barrels, I'm not sure about the RS ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can also just flip the face to reverse the offset

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Great OP, I’d love to know more about my wheels if people have some history on them. They are discontinued now and harder to find in good shape.

WEDSPORT Sa-67r

These are close to the stock wheels that came on 2011-2012 model ISF’s. Super light and wider than the OEM’s. I love the blue Weds used at the time and matches the blue from Lexus really well.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mekilljoydammit posted:

If there's replacement barrels (the not-middle-part) then yes. I know the motorsports BBSes have available barrels, I'm not sure about the RS ones though.

I can't think of a wheel that has more barrel options. A few shops sell aftermarket barrels for them in all sorts of weird sizes like these triple step barrels that allow you to mount 18in tires to a 16 inch face

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need an opinion:

These are my 3 piece BBS RS's:

If I have it taken apart I can change the offset for it correct?

Additionally, the car is 90's Japanese White. What are your thoughts on having the center powder coated goldish (the BMWs had it from factory maybe?) kinda like this:

Yes you can mount the face on the other side of the barrel and lip. I did this with my LMs. The bolts have to be locktite treated and the barrel/lip have to be sealed together.

Gold is a very popular color for those wheels just make sure you get the right shade. A reputable wheel restorer should know which off hand and have it available.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 23, 2018

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

savesthedayrocks posted:

Great OP, I’d love to know more about my wheels if people have some history on them. They are discontinued now and harder to find in good shape.

WEDSPORT Sa-67r

These are close to the stock wheels that came on 2011-2012 model ISF’s. Super light and wider than the OEM’s. I love the blue Weds used at the time and matches the blue from Lexus really well.

These wheels debuted in 2008 as a racing wheel for the Japanese D1GT and Super GT series. They're a single piece flow casted wheel. It's a hybrid V spoke/Y spoke design, though it is classified as a Y spoke. They were available in 17, 18, and 19 inch diameters from 7.5 to 10 inch width. Bolt patterns included 5x100, 5x114.3, and 5x120.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

um excuse me posted:

I can't think of a wheel that has more barrel options. A few shops sell aftermarket barrels for them in all sorts of weird sizes like these triple step barrels that allow you to mount 18in tires to a 16 inch face

I guess I'm not really surprised but my BBS knowledge pretty much begins and ends with the 16" motorsports wheels - E50/55, E26, E87, E05...

Currently working on a modified E50 center in CAD. 9" backspacing on a 10" wheel without anything sticking out past the tire, lol.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
send me all the stock r33 gtr wheels please

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
There are some good wheels here, but man nothing beats a good ol soft 8 with some meat on it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Steel Wheel Supremacy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My friend and fellow goon SFH1989 recently bought a scat pack and we casually talk about wheels for it. I think Work Emotion Kiwami look pretty good on those as well.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Cage posted:

There are some good wheels here, but man nothing beats a good ol soft 8 with some meat on it.

WHAT SIZE ARE THESE I WANT THEM FOR MY CHARGER

I can't find anything bigger than 17" and I've got some massive brakes to worry about.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

TheFonz posted:

I can't find anything bigger than 17" and I've got some massive brakes to worry about.
They look like they're just 17" though.

Why not get some cop wheels that already come on chargers? I like those too. They're 18".

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Cage posted:

They look like they're just 17" though.

Why not get some cop wheels that already come on chargers? I like those too. They're 18".

I assume they are 17", I'm just hoping against hope.
I need at least 20" to clear the 6 pistons I believe.

And those are ugly...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

TheFonz posted:

Far as I know, 17" is max on the Soft 8s. That's a bummer because I'll have to ditch them entirely if I ever put CTS-V Brembos on the Nova.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm also slightly interested in what tires are on that Challenger. The tires I ended up with on my C10 are the same size as the Challenger uses (rear is 275/40R20, same as a Hellcat, front is 245/45R20, same as the other trims) and there's not much sticky rubber in that overall diameter on a 17" wheel. Tire selection is way better on 20s.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Reposting something I posted in the stupid questions thread.

Helping my dad pick tires for his 2003 350z touring. It's sitting on 225/45-18s front and 245/45-18s in the back. Wheels are rpf1s, 18x8.5 +30mm offset front and 18x9.5 +15mm offset rear.

I was thinking 245/40-18 and 275/40-18 Michelin pilot sports but am worried about rubbing. Stock suspension, no desire to lower it or roll the fenders.

Searching the internet says it's fine but I have little faith in other car forums. Anyone in ai with a 350z who could chime in or know someone I could pm?

Most of my experience is in making stuff fit, not trying to pick the maximum that works without modifications.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You could use https://www.willtheyfit.com/ and do a little bit of measuring. I'd just run the tire sizes on it now unless there is a good reason to change.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
I'm contemplating getting a set of HRE R101LW wheels for the Z06, which by most accounts are ridiculously lightweight - coming close to the weight of a carbon fibre wheel and saving 46lb from the car.

Has anyone heard of any issues with these wheels? They seem to have all the features you'd expect out of a high quality wheel like tire mount knurling and car-specific strengthening. They're expensive as poo poo too but that's not always a good indicator of durability. We don't have huge pothole problems in NZ and I haven't had any damage on the OEM C7 wheels which are supposedly bent/crack prone.

This is the weight list for the ZR1 - Z06 is a big lighter as their package has a 19 inch rear (which is critical for the grip I want).

Spades fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 4, 2018

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

You could use https://www.willtheyfit.com/ and do a little bit of measuring. I'd just run the tire sizes on it now unless there is a good reason to change.

Thanks. Definitely looked at that site. Tires on it now have more of a streched look. We're both fans of the meatier style though. It would be pure asthetics. Main problem I'm running into is everyone online is 9.5f and 10.5r instead of 8.5/9.5. all my searching shows results for his potential rear tires on the the front of the car.

9hr drive for me to measure it so it's possible but a long haul.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a 'standard' tyre size for rims? eg 255 = 8.5" wide rim or something of sorts?

my evo has 245/40/18s and they are very slightly stretched. I need to replace 2 tyres, but I also want to get new wheels in the future and they will be wider wheels (9.5")

So Im thinking I get 255/40/18s or even 265s now and put them on the 8.5" wheels and then swap them to the new wheels when I get them

or i guess the AI option is to get super fast wearing tyres and wear them out before I get the new wheels :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The first thing you have to throw out is the idea that a standard tire width is equivalent across tire brands and models, for example a 225 hoho is as wide as a 245 200tw tire or a 255 nt01 is quite a bit wider than a firestone indy500, so it can be hard to gauge.

I like a 245 on a 9 and a 255 on a 10 in terms of feel, but I have been running 255s on 9s for a while. You'll notice OEMs tend to match rim width to tread width and people say they can look stretched, but they will perform well, feel good, and be consistent versus a bulged tire on the same wheel that might make more grip but be more 'peaky' in terms of letting go and feel more numb/mushy/squirmy.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 4, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cage posted:

Soft 8s look great on so many cars, they're still on my list for once I've sorted the bodywork and thrown wider rear arches on my car so they'll be deeeep. :black101:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Laserface posted:

Is there a 'standard' tyre size for rims? eg 255 = 8.5" wide rim or something of sorts?

my evo has 245/40/18s and they are very slightly stretched. I need to replace 2 tyres, but I also want to get new wheels in the future and they will be wider wheels (9.5")

So Im thinking I get 255/40/18s or even 265s now and put them on the 8.5" wheels and then swap them to the new wheels when I get them

or i guess the AI option is to get super fast wearing tyres and wear them out before I get the new wheels :v:

The specs tab on tirerack shows recommended rim width as well as the actual, measured tread width and casing width, and it does really depend on the specific tires.

Ideally, for the best support of the tire, response, and performance you want the tire to be a touch narrower than the rim. So say you wanted an RE71R in 265/35-18

Measured tread width on that is 9.7" so I would put that on either a 10 or 10.5" wide wheel.

But then take this hankook all season in the same size

Tread width of only 9.1" so that would be better on a 9 or 9.5" wheel and a little narrow for the 10.5.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sweet, thanks for that useful info.

ended up getting 245/40/18s as they will still be in the tirerack suggested range when I go up to the 18x9.5s in the near future.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
New post!

If you'll recall the wheels I have on my Miata.

They're from 1985. Literally older than the car by almost a decade. So naturally the center caps are impossible to find. I only have three, it was one of the reasons I got the wheels so cheap (They were bent to hell too but that's not relevant here).

They're pretty beat up.

So I put it into the CD drive.

Then pressed CTRL+P. The first iteration pulled up from the printing surface.

Second one was higher resolution, but not really much better. It warped pretty badly, making it unusable.

Third time was the charm

And all of them together.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

That is rad as hell, what did you use to scan them?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I need new wheels for new car summer tires. Is there anything I should avoid on tirerack or is whatever brand they have on sale good to go? There are a lot of wheel makers.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

That is rad as hell, what did you use to scan them?

Dial calipers and a couple of hours in Solidworks. My current job gives me access to a whole suite of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing tooling including a Faro Arm if I need it, though.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I need new wheels for new car summer tires. Is there anything I should avoid on tirerack or is whatever brand they have on sale good to go? There are a lot of wheel makers.

I like Enkei and BBS on Tire Rack, but I don't think they sell a "bad" wheel. Method and American Racing are the real deal as well, even though they don't appeal to the passenger car market very well (trucks and classic american respectively) There is a whole slew of manufacturers they don't represent as well, if you're in the performance/show market.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 7, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i've been lurking this thread since it started and just want to say the op has all my favorite wheels so i can't really contribute other than to say i had some cheap Rotas instead of TE37s and they roll well enough

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Help me goons.

Same size and offset, just not sure what I like more. Bronze is Gramlights 57DR and silver is SSR GTV01

Fun fact: rays won't put TE37CE28 bronze on any wheel that isn't in the same price range because it eats into the sales. This is a custom bronze for this dealer, only one production run.

The SSRs are a bit cheaper, and would be an instant buy if they didn't have the weird square bevel between every other spokes or had a step lip like the Gramlights do.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The latter just look the same as what you've got on it so would be a bit of a waste in terms of aesthetics imo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sort of what I was thinking, but I do really like the oem wheels too, and did consider just adding 20mm spacers to push them out a bit more. They're very curb rashes though.

The bronze would be easy to keep clean, I guess :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
blue and bronze should be close enough to confuse many people as to what type of WRX that is

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I'm looking for some good bronze paint codes to paint a set of wheels on a red car. The best I've found is Fiat 750F, which is pretty nice, but I'm also looking for a lighter gold-bronze, something like this:

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Grakkus posted:

I'm looking for some good bronze paint codes to paint a set of wheels on a red car. The best I've found is Fiat 750F, which is pretty nice, but I'm also looking for a lighter gold-bronze, something like this:

A friend of mine has somewhat of a hard on for bronze, I'll find out what swatches he got recently for his wheels and from where so you can maybe take a look.

Laserface posted:

Sort of what I was thinking, but I do really like the oem wheels too, and did consider just adding 20mm spacers to push them out a bit more. They're very curb rashes though.

The bronze would be easy to keep clean, I guess :v:

Considered just painting the OEM ones + spacers ?? They're nice wheels...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Every set of wheels I buy I get restored because I buy things from strangers on the internet so I assume every wheel I look at is bent. The wheel shop I go to always consistently recommends better colors than I have in mind. They often take into consideration things like the car's color, age, and picking a pallette that reflects factory styles of the time.

For example my Work Ewing Mesh wheels are gold. They were made in 1985. Gold for wheels back in that day were a significantly darker hue than what you see today. My wheel shop was able to discern that level of detail and forethought that I didn't even consider.

Find a reputable wheel shop in your area and ask them what they know.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Grakkus posted:

My guy got his swatches from here... https://www.prismaticpowders.com he had 6/7 delivered and has settled on luxury bronze

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A friend of mine has somewhat of a hard on for bronze, I'll find out what swatches he got recently for his wheels and from where so you can maybe take a look.

Considered just painting the OEM ones + spacers ?? They're nice wheels...

I was gonna buy a set in better condition but its just as expensive as getting after market wheels. Spacers would work too, although they aren't legal for street use and they can cause problems with the S-AYC system.

My plan is to buy some after market wheels and then drop off the OEMs to get fixed up and sell them or leave as is as track wheels and get some semi slicks.

Ideally I want a set of TE37s in the original Bronze colour, as the offset and sizing is perfect (18x9.5 +22) but every used set I have found is priced so closely to brand new it seems pointless. at least if I bought them I dont think I'd have too much trouble getting most of the money back.

the shop I was in yesterday even mentioned that the bronze Rays have used over the years is changing all the time. Older TE37s look more gold, newly made ones are tending more brown/red bronze. not to mention Rays seem to 'know what they got' and are just pumping out a million variants of TE37s now to cover every angle of the market.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
It is really hard to photograph but here is what I sprayed:

Lots of photos, because it is very hard to capture the true look. Its bronze, but really reacts nicely with light. Pretty heavy flake, so a bit more trouble to spray. I think its the same colour as your photo above. They will also be going on a red car (spoiler for another thread).

Awesome name too: Fiat 750 Marron Volciano Bronze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has anyone ever used Croooober to import wheels from upgarage in Japan?

I found exactly what I want, and the price + shipping is way cheaper than buying used locally, and they are brand new in box (but still 'used')

god drat the internet.