Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Terrible Robot posted:

I saw a new Civic sitting on some wheels that looked very similar to these yesterday, with a nice drop. It looked good.

I'm trying to find the photo, but I know I took one a long time ago of a 90s civic with C4 corvette wheels-- that look sort of like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm currently running Lancer OZ Rally wheels on my 323 Wagon, but am considering a more period-correct wheel. I can't go lower than 14" due to the 10.5" brakes it now has, and it has a +45 offset. Any ideas? Its 4x114.3. Croooober has had some neat ones, but shipping is insane. I don't like the modern reps, so maybe something in a raw or less gloss finish? No polished stuff.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mekilljoydammit posted:

The rules for actual stuff is that 15x7 is the wheel size for gravel, and 18x8 for tarmac.

I'm not an expert on actual use on gravel but looking at actual hardware, I'm not sure gravel is actually that much easier on brakes than tarmac. At the pro level the discs are as wide as will fit, water cooled calipers and water spray is common, etc.

I see, didn't think about regulations specifying exact wheel size but of course they do. Makes sense that way.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Time to keep this out of the archives.

With my first kid on the way and both of my cars having blown engines, wheels haven't been a very big priority. However that doesn't mean there hasn't been a little progress.

The Work Ewing Mesh wheels I have where orginally a two tone wheel.

I have been slowly returning them back.

They're hand painted so the lines aren't straight, but it'll pass the 20 foot test. If I were to do this again, I'd fill each valley of the waffle with a pool of black paint then syringe the extra out for nice straight termination lines and even coat. But I still have to do the wheels so I'll probably try it there.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 29, 2019

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
If anyone has a video of this in action...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think that would be fun right up until the bearing in the hub shits the bed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Looks like the size of a skateboard wheel bearing, which is what everyone used for fidget spinners. It's a bearing so cheap and plentiful you could swap it out every week if you had to. But a sealed bearing in that application would last years.

I'm surprised he lets the toy wheels actually run on the rim though. That's the actual failure point. Still, cool idea and decently implemented. It also looks like he machined the center cap accurately enough that the pin in the bearing doesn't wobble, or it'd trash the toy car in no time.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Hello thread. Despite my best intentions, I am going to change poo poo on my car. Picked up these BBS something somethings. These came factory on a bunch of 90s Japanese (Soarer, Aristo etc) and German cars. I was under the impression these came factory on my car, but.. that is not the case, as was evident when I test fit them once I got home.

Here's how they look on my boat

Specs are 16x7+45. Inner faces foul on the caliper though, so I'll need to pick up some small spacers so the wheel can actually, y'know, rotate.

This is the first time I'll have pulled rims apart, so this will be interesting. Plan is to relip+barrel them into something decent, 17x8.5 or something.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They're BBS RS of some flavor. A step lip will look very nice on your particular set up.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Speaking of BBS,
Can anybody identify the brand of these copycats? Can't make it out in this pic, and definitely not a familiar name.

(just horribly plagiarized, not outright fakes)

Thinking about picking them up, but I want to avoid something that's going to snap like dry pasta on a pothole...

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Kazera KZ-Z - They're cast wheels, but other than that I can't speak to their quality.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

dphi posted:

Kazera KZ-Z - They're cast wheels, but other than that I can't speak to their quality.

Thanks for the quick ID! I was looking through all sorts of weird lists of brands and stuff...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Any idea if pristine OEM 1st Gen Mazdaspeed3 wheels have any value or what they could be sold for? I have a set with like 15k miles that have been sitting in my garage or shed for the past several years. No idea if I should even bother trying to sell them or just include them with the car if/when I ever sell it since I have RPF1s on the car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wheels are hard to sell because you can't really make much money on them unless you can find somebody local, shipping is too expensive and people are too cheap. Not sure those are desirable but probably worth a couple hundred bucks to somebody at least.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MetaJew posted:

Any idea if pristine OEM 1st Gen Mazdaspeed3 wheels have any value or what they could be sold for? I have a set with like 15k miles that have been sitting in my garage or shed for the past several years. No idea if I should even bother trying to sell them or just include them with the car if/when I ever sell it since I have RPF1s on the car.

just take some pics, put them on craigslist with an "optimistic" price and see what kind of bites you get

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
eBay suggests they're selling for under $100 per in good condition. List at $105 and accept the best offer.

If they were my wheels I'd just hold onto them as spares at that price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That, or just use them to sweeten the deal when you sell the car. Never know if the person who buys it is going to value originality over modified, and might be better willing to trust a seller who also hung on to stock parts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anybody know of a wheel like this for cars?

basically 2 layers of 5 or 6 spokes.

I know I've seen them before, i think on a cobra.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Haha what is that thing?

http://www.rocketracingwheels.com/muscle-car-launcher-wheels/c167

They're drag racing wheels, it looks like. The ones on that trike thing likely are car wheels

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 18, 2019

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Old school drag wheels will have those offset spokes like that sometimes.

Edit: Gasser wheels. Also, efb.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 18, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Haha what is that thing?

http://www.rocketracingwheels.com/muscle-car-launcher-wheels/c167

They're drag racing wheels, it looks like. The ones on that trike thing likely are car wheels

Awesome! unfortunately only 5x4.75 but if i use adapters i can also use them on a BMW if i buy another one.

the thing in question is a GARMR apparently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGjgrbwKo3Q

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Old school drag wheels will have those offset spokes like that sometimes.

Edit: Gasser wheels. Also, efb.

searching gasser wheels brings up exactly what i was looking for, thanks.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

What wheel manufacturers don't suck?

I want a set of staggered forged stuff for the S65 that's coming to me. 5x112 bolt pattern, 66.6mm hub, I think stock is 8.5" wide fronts and 9.5" wide rears, I want 20s, ET stock is 38 or 39mm both F&R. It's a w221 so I think I can get away with 255/35/20 up front and 285/30/20 in the rear without rubbing if I stick to these wheel sizes, thinking I'll put Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on it.

Have been cruising ebay for various OEM stuff (I really like the 16 spoke stock wheels that came on W222 S65s, and frankly if I could scare up a set in the bronze/copper that MB is putting on the S65 Final Edition I'd be down for that if they weren't $10k if you could even order them.)

I have also been looking for HRE, ADV.1, BBS, and maybe a few others? I find it impressively hard to judge what's rank Chinesium and what isn't. I think we all can relate to the general state of terribleness that are all car forums and the opinions contained therein.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Tremek posted:

What wheel manufacturers don't suck?

I want a set of staggered forged stuff for the S65 that's coming to me. 5x112 bolt pattern, 66.6mm hub, I think stock is 8.5" wide fronts and 9.5" wide rears, I want 20s, ET stock is 38 or 39mm both F&R. It's a w221 so I think I can get away with 255/35/20 up front and 285/30/20 in the rear without rubbing if I stick to these wheel sizes, thinking I'll put Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on it.

Have been cruising ebay for various OEM stuff (I really like the 16 spoke stock wheels that came on W222 S65s, and frankly if I could scare up a set in the bronze/copper that MB is putting on the S65 Final Edition I'd be down for that if they weren't $10k if you could even order them.)

I have also been looking for HRE, ADV.1, BBS, and maybe a few others? I find it impressively hard to judge what's rank Chinesium and what isn't. I think we all can relate to the general state of terribleness that are all car forums and the opinions contained therein.

Stay away from ADV.1. Shouldn't even be a maker that is mentioned in the same sentence as other makers such as BBS or HRE. Plenty of nonsense and crap quality produced by ADV.1, much of the shenanigans were captured on the E9X M3 bimmerpost forum.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I judge most companies by whether or not they make replicas. If they cant do their own engineering, you bet they can't make a high quality wheel.

ADR
Avid
Arospeed
Axis Drag
ESM
Exel
Japan Racing
Kingpin
Konig
Lenso
Linea
Luff
Maxxim
OE Wheels
Phat
R-1
Rota
Ruff
SSK
Stern
STR
XXR
Varstoen

Wheel companies I like:

BBS
Work
Rays
Advan
SSR
Enkei
Weds
Watanabe
CCW
OZ
HRE

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 1, 2019

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

um excuse me posted:

Wheel companies I like:

BBS
Work
Rays
Advan
SSR
Enkei
Weds
Watanabe
CCW
OZ
HRE

If I may propose adding one name, a name that appears to be coming back from the dead: Fikse. Tremendous respect for their products, quite popular during the early 2000's. Recently they have been driving a marketing push to regain name recognition at least as indicated by the number of posts I'm coming across on Instagram. I believe they were acquired by a wheel barrel manufacturer??

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh there are tons of good and bad brands that I didn't mention. Those are just ones so see a lot on the used markets with designs I like. It's super fun to get into really weird 13 inch Japanese 4 spoke stuff.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

How about Vossen? Looks like they make their forged stuff in the US?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This is a 2004 XC90. It came with these 17x7 wheels, could have been up to 19x9 with options. I bought the car last fall with winter tires install, but now I'm looking to get something different. So I've been trawling ebay looking at wheels. I'd like to get some meatier more agressive tires, move from a 29" to a 30" diameter (30.5" is the max).

If I find a wheel with a larger hub bore than stock, I get rings to bridge the gap, right?
Will it look dumb with 19" wheels and 30" tires? 20" wheels?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

These could be good

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

taqueso posted:

This is a 2004 XC90. It came with these 17x7 wheels, could have been up to 19x9 with options. I bought the car last fall with winter tires install, but now I'm looking to get something different. So I've been trawling ebay looking at wheels. I'd like to get some meatier more agressive tires, move from a 29" to a 30" diameter (30.5" is the max).

If I find a wheel with a larger hub bore than stock, I get rings to bridge the gap, right?
Will it look dumb with 19" wheels and 30" tires? 20" wheels?

No, 20" wheels look badass on XC90s. Pretty sure both of these are 20's, I know the first one is. The second might be 19". These are stock Volvo wheels from the R design models and are not terribly expensive used, and direct fit. You can shop swedespeed classifieds, they come up all the time. Also there's a non-affiliated thread where people post craigslist finds that they can't or don't want, but are still things others might want.

They made the XC90 all the way through 2014 virtually unchanged. Any bumpers or updated body trim bolt right on, and the later LED taillights bolt right on. Also the S60R brembo brakes bolt on.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 26, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Can I remove the outside rim that holds balancing weights without hurting tire mounting?

Not my photos but same model:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Can I remove the outside rim that holds balancing weights without hurting tire mounting?

Not my photos but same model:

How? If you answer: Grinder, then :lol:
I wouldn't modify ANY part of a wheel, but people split/widen/doallsortsofweirdshit to wheels. At least put it on a lathe and turn it off nicely. And take video. And have goood life insurance.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I can see how asking anyone to tell me it's fine might be difficult given the possible downsides.

After pondering it more, I could also fillet the inside to match the curve at end end of the spokes and get a similar asthetic.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are you set on using those wheels? Someone might be able to come up with something that already matches what you're looking for aesthetically without having to stick wheels into a lathe and all that comes with it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, I'm set on these, I'm 80% done stripping off the old paint. I just was looking at other people's wheels in a parking lot and noticed how many didn't have a weight mounting rim on the outside and were just flat. So I thought "hey that'd look cool, I wonder if that's a normal thing to do or really stupid" and now we are here.

And if there is a problem with filleting, I can absolutely just not do it, it just seemed like it would look good and I'm putting xx hours into this, might as well make it xx+10.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
this seems like a bad idea with almost no upside

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's kinda the whole project to some extent. Did I mention it would look cool? Anyway, point taken and I won't grind up my wheels.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've been browsing around for my next project wheels and I can't seem to find anything cheap enough to justify restoring. I've looked at Croooober, Yahoo Japan Auctions, eBay, and about a million pages on Facebook. Is the market tapped out or is there another medium people use to move wheels?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Tons on Instagram - threepiece.us, vr wheels, wheelsgang, solrestwheels, wheel_good_deals, and many more. Often needing refinishing and priced accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dare I open an instagram account for the deals? It's gonna depend if I can make a throw away account with not a lot of effort. Last time I checked (years ago) those accounts had to be tied to Facebook.