Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Dare I open an instagram account for the deals? It's gonna depend if I can make a throw away account with not a lot of effort. Last time I checked (years ago) those accounts had to be tied to Facebook.

They don't. I have an insta but no Facebook. And yes, there's a ton of wheels on Instagram. I lust after all sorts of 4x100s for my Jetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The only wheels I care about.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh hey a wheels thread. I am waiting for my car to be delivered and was looking for some winter wheels in the same size as the ones I've specced on the car. But it turns out I can get these babies

https://www.reifenprofi.de/felgen/o...-gedreht?c=4834

For less than the price of some 20s (and a third of manufacturer price) and they look loving awesome

Just need to persuade the dealership to swap the unused 20in summer tyres for some 21s and we will be all set.

These are the 20s which I still really love.. Just not as much as the 21s

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was thinking about getting some light wheels for daily driving but I'm concerned that they'll just end up getting bent or something. What's a good light but strong range to have on a daily? Is getting below 20 lb the danger zone for this kind of problem or is it more a construction thing?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Car weight and tire profile play a big part. What kind of car?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Car weight and tire profile play a big part. What kind of car?

It's a WRX. I was looking at 17x8 to keep stock size with a 235/45/17 tire.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
RPF-1s are pretty common everywhere, unless you want something more exotic.

I bought the 17x8 RPF-1s for my MS3 off a WRX owner.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

But TE37s. You won’t bend them and they’re just about the lightest wheels out there

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

dphi posted:

Tons on Instagram - threepiece.us, vr wheels, wheelsgang, solrestwheels, wheel_good_deals, and many more. Often needing refinishing and priced accordingly.

Thanks for this list. I’m trying to find wheels for my Acty in 4x100 and was running into the same problem with croober as the op.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Understand that some of the performance wheel market doesn't do 17x8. In fact a lot of WRX offset wheels are 9.5 inch wide only. It's a problem specifically because when you race your WRX like me, wheel and tires sizes are tightly controlled. Right now I'm running 17x9 +35 Rays Gramlights 57xtreme. They aren't the lightest wheel, but they are certainly lighter than the BBS LM I ran previously.

If I were you I'd chase the Subaru BBS OEM option for the 2015-2017 STI. Those things were awesome and not too big 18x8.5 and very light.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I wanted to stick to 17's for more sidewall and the tires are cheaper. Dumb reasons but it's where I'm at.

RPF-1's aren't a bad option. I see them come up on marketplace now and then but I wasn't too certain on if they would get damaged doing daily stuff and possibly hitting a pot hole or bad section of road.
Any thoughts on Motegi wheels? I see them on sale sometimes on TireRack but never see them mentioned very often which makes me believe that they aren't all that great.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Motegi or Methods for a WRX. Can't really go wrong with either.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Huh. Today I found out about these Heroes Racing Super Speed wheels which were drilled out to accept a set of spacers that allowed you to use them on both 4x100 and 4x114.3 wheels.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Enkei makes a lot of 17x8 +45 wheels. I'd go a touch wider though, like 8.5 or even 9 depending on the tire.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Might as well crosspost since I think this is cool.

Race car candidate wheel - Advanti Storm S1 in 15x7

Not particularly good 3d scan plus CAD curve fit

Curve generated by curve fit overlayed around brake stuff

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Does anyone have an opinion on SSR wheels? Specifically the GT2? There’s a set on the local Craigslist that I’ve been watching the seller chisel the price down. There currently at a price that is pretty tough to refuse. It seems the gt2 has been phased out and isn’t made any more.

I hear they’re light, which I’m somewhat concerned about, as these would go on my 5 series wagon, which is decidedly NOT light, wearing a 40 or 45 section sidewall (they’re 18s with 245/40 Hakkapeliittas on them right now).

glyph fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 15, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SSR make very good wheels

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Picked up the wheels from powder coating. Originally polished aluminum but the factory clear coat was trashed so this is something different. Now it’s time to replace the 8 year old rubber and make 4 new sensors.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know this is the opposite of the way most people go, but I'm wondering if there would be a problem going from 16x7.5J +55 to 16x6.5 or 7 +55. I just found out that my project car's tires are about as old as my forum account and I have a set of high-performance summer tires for my Impreza that I don't really have much of a use for because up here it never gets hot enough that I can't run the Nokian all-weathers that are currently on there. Same tire diameter, same wheel diameter, but too narrow for the wheels currently on the project car, and the bolt pattern on the wheels for the Impreza is 5x100 rather than 5x114.3.

I feel like traction shouldn't be an issue because it's still going to be better than your standard all-seasons and the load rating from the manufacturer fits, but I've never shopped for wheels before so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing in terms of fitment concerns. If this would work, is there a place I can search for models and years of cars based on their center bore, offset, and wheel size? I'm thinking I'll go to a pick and pull and buy a set of wheels for <$100, then if I eventually want to get different wheels I can sell them for about what I paid.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this is the opposite of the way most people go, but I'm wondering if there would be a problem going from 16x7.5J +55 to 16x6.5 or 7 +55. I just found out that my project car's tires are about as old as my forum account and I have a set of high-performance summer tires for my Impreza that I don't really have much of a use for because up here it never gets hot enough that I can't run the Nokian all-weathers that are currently on there. Same tire diameter, same wheel diameter, but too narrow for the wheels currently on the project car, and the bolt pattern on the wheels for the Impreza is 5x100 rather than 5x114.3.

I feel like traction shouldn't be an issue because it's still going to be better than your standard all-seasons and the load rating from the manufacturer fits, but I've never shopped for wheels before so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing in terms of fitment concerns. If this would work, is there a place I can search for models and years of cars based on their center bore, offset, and wheel size? I'm thinking I'll go to a pick and pull and buy a set of wheels for <$100, then if I eventually want to get different wheels I can sell them for about what I paid.

I've always used this as a reference but not an authority to know what my cars' ranges are:
https://www.wheel-size.com/

I use this as a visual reference:
https://www.willtheyfit.com/

And finally I always try and find a forum thread somewhere with the anecdotal evidence that the wheels will fit. Brake clearance will be the prominent issue with going for thinner wheels. I'd personally decrease offset to shift the faces of the new wheel further away from the hub but also to make sure the outer wall of the new tire and wheel will be identical to the previous fitment.

Another thing you can do is call whoever you are buying your wheel from, or the manufacturer, and have them measure/provide any critical dimensions you are concerned with.

For an idea, my car comes with a 17x8 +55 wheel. I went to a 17x6.5 for winter without issue. I've also ran it up to 18x9.5. Most cars have the room to spare unless it's something with very sporty brakes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What size are the tires? You might be able to run them on the 7.5s just fine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They're 205/55R16, stock tires on the car are 225/50R16, I asked some other people with the same car about it and they said that putting 205s on caused them to stretch enough to have poor traction. I know that it can also vary by tire model but I'm not finding anywhere on Hankook's site that lists the acceptable widths for them, they're Ventus V12 Evos.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah I'd think 205 is fine for a 7.5" wheel, definitely not uncommon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They are fine on a 7.5. If you want to validate, you can look at Tirerack for those tires which lists 5.5-7.5" as acceptable wheel widths. This link is for the newer version of the tire, but same general idea.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus%20V12%20evo2&partnum=055WR6K120XL

You generally want to match section width to wheel width to optimize a given tire for proper feel and grip.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Alright, guess I'll do that then, saves me a bit of money for now even. I'll just need to find another set of wheels by September or so to put my new winter tires on.