Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
This is as good a spot as any to ask a dumb question about wheels.

I'm in the market for some wheels for my Jetta. Seen here on 14" Kosei K1 TS's:

It's currently 4x100, and I'm not keen on going 5-lug immediately.

I'm a big fan of 5-spoke designs, including the ubiquitous Rota Slipstream, as seen here on my Fit:

And here on a similar VW, albeit with a Golf front end:

However, I really don't like the multi-hole look that seems to be the only available option in the current Slipstream. I swear my old set was just 4x100, with no additional holes.
Is there a similar wheel that's out there for reasonable money, in 15" or 16", 4x100, with a VW hub bore (57.1mm or larger)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

You might be biased on price if your wheels are Rotas. They are replica manufacturers. The Rotas you have were based off of Spoon Sports SW388 which are ~$1,800 a set.

I don't like to recommend replica wheels because my choices are usually racing based. Someone else might be able to chime in with cheaper options but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

Rays GramLights 57CR

SSR GTV01

Enkei VR5

Oh, I know they're replicas. I just can't spend $2000 on wheels for a $3000 car. I know, this isn't Automotive Reasonable Choices, but I'm not racing, it's a light car with relatively low power, and I'm a cheap bastard.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I had slips on my E30 for a while. They only had 4x100 bolt holes, and were 16x8 ET20 57.1mm hub.

Unf. That looks so drat good.

TheFonz posted:

Same, I have slips on my MR2 that were only drilled for the I *Think* 4x100 that the MR2 is. I bought them 15 years ago though so It's been a while.
Yeah, but everything for sale now has extra material milled out, which A: weakens the wheel, and B: IMHO, looks awful.
http://www.rotawheels.com/product/slipstream-frr2
I think it's a design change, because I can find pictures of older Slipstreams with only the 4 holes, and even a pair of used ones on eBay, but everything new has the milled out slots.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

I've got $2000 wheels on my $2000 Miata. When you go high end, you can usually re-sell for 80% of new if you keep them in good shape. But I get it, sometimes you want to just be able to drive your car without worrying about your wheels.

If it helps, the VR5s are under $120 each.
Yeah, I don't want to be the guy who won't drive in the snow or freaks out about a pot hole. I've almost pulled the trigger on a set of used legit SW388's, but $1200 for wheels was just too much for 15's.

jamal posted:

Enkei vr5? 15x6.5 4x100 +38, under 150 a wheel.

http://enkei.com/shop/performance/vr5/

And beaten.
I'll have to do some photoshopping, but I think the spokes are too narrow. I loved the chunky look of the Slips. I feel the same about the 57CR/Rota Attack. The J-SPL is an option from Rota as well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Just thinking about this and remembered stock NB1 Miata wheels are 15x6 +40 4x100. Best part is they're 5 spoke alloy wheels for ~$200 a set used.

Those aren't an option. 54.1mm hub bore vs. the 57.1mm on VW. It the same issue with LOADS of other OEM wheels. I looked at a set of Mini 16's, but same 54.1mm bore. I could have them opened up, by at $25-$50/wheel, it destroys the value proposition.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
There have been a bunch of old school 3 spokes showing up recently. Advan SA3Rs, and a set of Enkei Selbachs. I wish I could rock them on the Jetta, but I can't do it.

Any thoughts on the SSR RF? Super light, forged, and imho a neat design.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

netwerk23 posted:

Howdy Y'all - I'm looking to upgrade my wheels when I next need tires, sometime in the next 6 months. I'm currently 5x100 17" OEM's, Toyota, and I'd like to go 18" in the style like this:

I'm not married to brand or color, I'll probably have them painted (unless they come in red). Any suggestions? These are 'DTM-style' and I can find them in <18" sizes. Is there a better name for wheels that are mostly solid, as opposed to mostly spindley?

TIA

Are you made of money?
https://fifteen52.com/collections/forged-wheels/products/forged-3pc-evo-sc?variant=4138323585
Or: https://fifteen52.com/collections/cast-wheels/products/integrale-ss?variant=14352362438722, if you're not.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Can I remove the outside rim that holds balancing weights without hurting tire mounting?

Not my photos but same model:

How? If you answer: Grinder, then :lol:
I wouldn't modify ANY part of a wheel, but people split/widen/doallsortsofweirdshit to wheels. At least put it on a lathe and turn it off nicely. And take video. And have goood life insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

um excuse me posted:

Dare I open an instagram account for the deals? It's gonna depend if I can make a throw away account with not a lot of effort. Last time I checked (years ago) those accounts had to be tied to Facebook.

They don't. I have an insta but no Facebook. And yes, there's a ton of wheels on Instagram. I lust after all sorts of 4x100s for my Jetta.