Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This is a 2004 XC90. It came with these 17x7 wheels, could have been up to 19x9 with options. I bought the car last fall with winter tires install, but now I'm looking to get something different. So I've been trawling ebay looking at wheels. I'd like to get some meatier more agressive tires, move from a 29" to a 30" diameter (30.5" is the max).

If I find a wheel with a larger hub bore than stock, I get rings to bridge the gap, right?
Will it look dumb with 19" wheels and 30" tires? 20" wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

These could be good

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Can I remove the outside rim that holds balancing weights without hurting tire mounting?

Not my photos but same model:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I can see how asking anyone to tell me it's fine might be difficult given the possible downsides.

After pondering it more, I could also fillet the inside to match the curve at end end of the spokes and get a similar asthetic.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah, I'm set on these, I'm 80% done stripping off the old paint. I just was looking at other people's wheels in a parking lot and noticed how many didn't have a weight mounting rim on the outside and were just flat. So I thought "hey that'd look cool, I wonder if that's a normal thing to do or really stupid" and now we are here.

And if there is a problem with filleting, I can absolutely just not do it, it just seemed like it would look good and I'm putting xx hours into this, might as well make it xx+10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's kinda the whole project to some extent. Did I mention it would look cool? Anyway, point taken and I won't grind up my wheels.