Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its a drat shame more manu's dont use Bronze as a colour option because god drat do I want some bronze wheels on my car that arent going to super expensive TE37s or CE28Ns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Enkei rpf1 dont.

And I have to clear brembos which further narrows the selection.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had some P1s, they're a really nice wheel.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

E: double post

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a 'standard' tyre size for rims? eg 255 = 8.5" wide rim or something of sorts?

my evo has 245/40/18s and they are very slightly stretched. I need to replace 2 tyres, but I also want to get new wheels in the future and they will be wider wheels (9.5")

So Im thinking I get 255/40/18s or even 265s now and put them on the 8.5" wheels and then swap them to the new wheels when I get them

or i guess the AI option is to get super fast wearing tyres and wear them out before I get the new wheels :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sweet, thanks for that useful info.

ended up getting 245/40/18s as they will still be in the tirerack suggested range when I go up to the 18x9.5s in the near future.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Help me goons.

Same size and offset, just not sure what I like more. Bronze is Gramlights 57DR and silver is SSR GTV01

Fun fact: rays won't put TE37CE28 bronze on any wheel that isn't in the same price range because it eats into the sales. This is a custom bronze for this dealer, only one production run.

The SSRs are a bit cheaper, and would be an instant buy if they didn't have the weird square bevel between every other spokes or had a step lip like the Gramlights do.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sort of what I was thinking, but I do really like the oem wheels too, and did consider just adding 20mm spacers to push them out a bit more. They're very curb rashes though.

The bronze would be easy to keep clean, I guess :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A friend of mine has somewhat of a hard on for bronze, I'll find out what swatches he got recently for his wheels and from where so you can maybe take a look.

Considered just painting the OEM ones + spacers ?? They're nice wheels...

I was gonna buy a set in better condition but its just as expensive as getting after market wheels. Spacers would work too, although they aren't legal for street use and they can cause problems with the S-AYC system.

My plan is to buy some after market wheels and then drop off the OEMs to get fixed up and sell them or leave as is as track wheels and get some semi slicks.

Ideally I want a set of TE37s in the original Bronze colour, as the offset and sizing is perfect (18x9.5 +22) but every used set I have found is priced so closely to brand new it seems pointless. at least if I bought them I dont think I'd have too much trouble getting most of the money back.

the shop I was in yesterday even mentioned that the bronze Rays have used over the years is changing all the time. Older TE37s look more gold, newly made ones are tending more brown/red bronze. not to mention Rays seem to 'know what they got' and are just pumping out a million variants of TE37s now to cover every angle of the market.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has anyone ever used Croooober to import wheels from upgarage in Japan?

I found exactly what I want, and the price + shipping is way cheaper than buying used locally, and they are brand new in box (but still 'used')

god drat the internet.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Croooober appears to be endorsed by upgarage as their worldwide broker and Jesse wants to skim 10% off the purchase price so he's not cheaper.

Guess I'll go with croober!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah it seems legit although all said and done the wheels I found would cost near as much as a set of TE37s after duties and shipping and at that point you may as well buy the TEs since they seem to hold resale value better than anything else.

I'm gonna sleep on it and maybe go check out the bronze wheels again. At least they are in stock so if I decide to buy them the guy won't be Pissed I spent an hour staring at them next to my car.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ended up finding a set of what I wanted on yahoo auctions second hand with minimal scuffs which, if I get for the minimum bid, will be $900+ cheaper than the upgarage set (which are NIB old stock, discontinued)

If it goes to my max bid it's only $200 saving but if it gets to that point Im happy spending $200 more for brand new ones.

Jesse was quick to reply and helpful with the customs questions too.

TE37s new via an aus official distributor are $3550 a set for 18x9.5 +22 in bronze. Used sets are 3k for "used, new condition in box no tyres" to "used with a full 360 degrees of gutter rash on each wheel and no tyres"

Basically any Volks wheel is commanding $2900 at a minimum for bronze.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jesse quoted higher for dhl than croooober did but at the same time he is over quoting on size/weight and refunds the difference.

He also sends the wheels as 2 pairs rather than 1 package so it stays under the $1000 package value threshold, avoid paying import duty and customs so it saves you more in the long run.

Still, Jesse vs crooober for the same item he was more expensive. If you can handle the wait for sea shipping which croooober don't offer, you'll be further ahead again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Welp, I won the auction for the minimum bid, so these will be on their way to me soon :)

SSR type Fs. They resemble the OEM wheels pretty close, so it'll be a subtle change, just adding some concave and some width to fill out the guards.

Glad I didn't immediately jump on the Gramlights that were available locally, as they didn't look that good on another identical car I saw them on.

Now to resist the urge to trawl yahoo auctions for more cheap wheels...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the stickers and valve stems are easy to find new or reproductions of, and barrels/bolts can be made to suit anyway.

literally the only thing of any real value is the Disk of the wheel because they dont produce them any more.

Its definitely a thing that people seem to think 'never had tyres on them/never bolted to a car' somehow adds value.

they're still second hand items you're selling and it doesnt command some kind of premium just because you say so.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I don't really know much at all about wheels, none of my cars have anything good on them i just know that i really love how that wheel looks. when you say the Disk is the only thing they dont produce any more, you mean the actual face of the wheel with the spokes and stud holes right? Does that mean that if I find a set in a 15" diameter that is the wrong offset or width i can just swap barrels?

3 piece wheels consist of the Disk (face) and inner/outer barrels.

Barrels are not exactly unique or specific to a wheel and can be made by most any wheel repair shop (such as Barrel Bros. in Sydney). the original SSR barrels would not be too dissimilar from something made by a repair shop.

and yeah, you can replace barrels to change the offset to exactly what you need. it isnt cheap, as mentioned.

I dont think they made those wheels in 15" but I dont really pay much attention to vintage Japanese wheels because all of my vehicles are 5-stud and need 17s at a minimum.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got my wheels fitted today. unfortunately still waiting for hub rings, they were a very odd size which meant I couldnt buy anything locally.

Before:

After:

tyres are a bit too small (245/35/18 on a 18x9.5), but I only got them a few months ago so Im not about to drop more cash on 265s just so they look slightly better.

next step is a 1" drop and getting the rear guards rolled.

Im happy with the result though. 1 week turn around from Jesse Streeter sending them to fitted on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They are fine if you run correctly sized tyres and don't drive like you're on a race track on pot hole filled public roads.

Given the type of people who post on car forums you can imagine why there is a lot of complaints of failures.