Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

um excuse me posted:

Dude, you couldn't pay me to take that wheel.

It's the other wheel bent to gently caress in the picture that I'd avoid.

I love wheels, and I agree the right wheels make the car. I'm all about 5 spoke and very thin multi-spoke. 6, 7, 8, or 9 spoke wheels do nothing for me. The RUF Speedlines shown earlier are perfection, but nobody makes anything like that to fit a Volvo in my snack bracket.

My first foray into aftermarket wheels was in 1996, after I'd purchased my first adult car and began adulting with my new wife. Enkei 5 spoke (split) wheels, polished aluminum face. My new wife and I fought and fought over spending the extra money on 16" and I caved and got 15".

Then after dropping all that painfully argued over coin, she loving curbed one of them (and I am not making this up) the very next day. I was infuriated, lived with that gouge for the next decade. And she wasn't a bad or careless driver, which made it worse. Such a painful mistake so soon just smacked of subtext and intent. They never had another curb mark on them, either.

Starting in the late 90's Volvo began specifying some gorgeous factory wheels. They of course contract with Borbet, BBS, and others to make them. I bought the same BBS as Terrible Robot has up there, which were stock for the C70, and I stuck them on a 960 to start:

Then I stuck them on my V70:

And I cannot wait to stick them on my R. I might even do it tonight if I am motivated and the weather clears. They're a timeless design, now 20 years old.

I bought the 17" version with slightly different spoke shape for my 122:

Another now-classic Volvo wheel, which evolved from a 16" in the 90's all the way to 18" and is available in 19" aftermarket. Each size was a different name but the R version introduced in 04 is called Pegasus.

I ran those on my C70 until I found my new favorite wheel, the Enkei RSF5:

Those look great on the R as well, and don't need spacers at all. I'm tempted to use them there but I actually don't like the silver BBS on the silver car, it washes out. Even though the Enkeis and Pegasus were silver, they have a lot of black space in them that contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

drat, and I thought 16mm spacers were a stretch!

Speaking of, here's a teaser, but the car and wheels are filthy, and twilight was happening. Pics of clean car in the sun coming soon. Definitely needs lowering but without a fender pull in the front it's going to rub pretty bad. On the positive side though, in stock height I can't make it rub at all.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Popete posted:

I really dig the BMW CSL 19" wheels by BBS that came on my M3.

Hot as hell.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Can anyone identify the mfg and model of these wheels? They're 18x8.5 supposedly off an Audi but with a dual bolt pattern that also matches Volvo. The guy who posted the pic is not responding to his thread. They look like a Ferrari style copy. I tried a wide variety of GIS searches with no matches.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

So they're probably a super lovely knockoff brand or a high end boutique brand, either way I'm likely not finding them available or in my price range. Which is sad because I really, really like the pattern and I think it'd go great on my R.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Looks like the size of a skateboard wheel bearing, which is what everyone used for fidget spinners. It's a bearing so cheap and plentiful you could swap it out every week if you had to. But a sealed bearing in that application would last years.

I'm surprised he lets the toy wheels actually run on the rim though. That's the actual failure point. Still, cool idea and decently implemented. It also looks like he machined the center cap accurately enough that the pin in the bearing doesn't wobble, or it'd trash the toy car in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

taqueso posted:

This is a 2004 XC90. It came with these 17x7 wheels, could have been up to 19x9 with options. I bought the car last fall with winter tires install, but now I'm looking to get something different. So I've been trawling ebay looking at wheels. I'd like to get some meatier more agressive tires, move from a 29" to a 30" diameter (30.5" is the max).

If I find a wheel with a larger hub bore than stock, I get rings to bridge the gap, right?
Will it look dumb with 19" wheels and 30" tires? 20" wheels?

No, 20" wheels look badass on XC90s. Pretty sure both of these are 20's, I know the first one is. The second might be 19". These are stock Volvo wheels from the R design models and are not terribly expensive used, and direct fit. You can shop swedespeed classifieds, they come up all the time. Also there's a non-affiliated thread where people post craigslist finds that they can't or don't want, but are still things others might want.

They made the XC90 all the way through 2014 virtually unchanged. Any bumpers or updated body trim bolt right on, and the later LED taillights bolt right on. Also the S60R brembo brakes bolt on.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 26, 2020