Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It was kind of a divine joy to discover this drawing for the first time as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Djeser posted:

the ??? is airbrush van wizards

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Okay, I need a quick sanity check
when I was younger - like 15 or 16 years ago - I used conte crayons a fair amount.
I just picked some up for the first time since then and I must say they feel quite scratchy and unpleasant to drag across the paper. Did something change with their formula or manufacturing or ownership or what?
I also have some Nupastels and those actually feel like what I remember conte crayons feeling like.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I haven’t used conte crayons for a while, but my recollection is the sepia ones were always scratchy, and white a tiny bit less so. I switched to prismacolor stix way back, but then those were too wax bloomy and broke constantly.

Both of those are why I got way in to expensive colored pencils. Colored pencil brands have exploded in the past 10-15 years. I never got too far into pastels because of the dust.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a calligraphy thread?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No, you should make one! There is a fountain pen thread in A/T, cross post it there when you've made it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sebmojo posted:

No, you should make one! There is a fountain pen thread in A/T, cross post it there when you've made it.

I must have a case of the dumb this morning, I can't find that one

and yeah! I'll start a thread and put my daily work into it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 30, 2021

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I have to put together a statement of intent and a portfolio for a two year digital art program and I am kinda freaking out. I would like help, but I'm not sure how or where to ask.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Start a thread if you like? Might help lay things out, and there are some bonkers good artists here.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’m looking into getting started painting. I want to experiment with color and work mostly in abstract shapes. What medium should I be looking at? My number one desire is the ability to mix colors to explore various shades.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m looking into getting started painting. I want to experiment with color and work mostly in abstract shapes. What medium should I be looking at? My number one desire is the ability to mix colors to explore various shades.

I say gouache. It's like watercolor but you can correct it, cheap and easy to try

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Acrylics are the standard beginners option but I can vouch for gauche being fun as well.

Just stay the gently caress away from oils until you’re prepared to deal with keeping around jars of highly toxic chemicals and rags that have a non-zero chance of exploding into flames for no reason.

E: drat, I need to look at the dates of the posts I reply to…

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hey friends, someone I know who actually has the background to pull it off is starting a startup aimed at letting people sell art with digital authentication signatures as a less-stupid alternative to NFTs. She's got surveys up for artists and art appreciators to help her aim the early stages of it and would be grateful for any responses:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SnekTechInc/status/1424153020590297089

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I have a really stupid question about writing style. Humor me for a second with this explanation of where my question comes from because I feel like I’m asking a 2nd grade level question.

In photography/cinematography you have the color wheel. Two colors on opposite sides of the color wheel can be used to make vibrant contrasts (yellow and purple, red and green, etc).

This, to me, is kind of the same principle of letters, mostly vowels. The “eeee” sound of a long E sounds like the opposite of the “ooo” sound of the long O. When you hear the two alternate in poetry or song lyrics, it gives it kind of a bouncy rhythm.

What is this called? Is there a color wheel equivalent?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

In linguistic terms, you can map out vowel sounds across different languages . (From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel)

Front/central/back is how far forward or back the tongue is, close/mid/open is how high the tongue is, and rounded versus unrounded is about the shape your lips make. I don't think there's a language that uses the entire set of possible vowels, that varies from language to language. (For example, here's the vowels that American English uses:

Since this is in IPA the two sounds you're looking for are i (close front unrounded) and u (close back rounded). Thing is, I don't think there's a way to produce "vowel sounds that go nice together" from these charts the same way you can with a color wheel. Maybe vowels that are in the same row or column,? But I don't recall seeing much talk about vowels that sound good when near each other.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

boop the snoot posted:

I have a really stupid question about writing style. Humor me for a second with this explanation of where my question comes from because I feel like I’m asking a 2nd grade level question.

In photography/cinematography you have the color wheel. Two colors on opposite sides of the color wheel can be used to make vibrant contrasts (yellow and purple, red and green, etc).

This, to me, is kind of the same principle of letters, mostly vowels. The “eeee” sound of a long E sounds like the opposite of the “ooo” sound of the long O. When you hear the two alternate in poetry or song lyrics, it gives it kind of a bouncy rhythm.

the opposite of that is called "assonance", iirc - that is, the repetition of certain vowels to create a sense of flow and rythm. there's also the concept of "euphony" in poetry, but that's a bit more nebulous than anything close to a well-defined "colour wheel". so apart from already-posted vowel map, i don't think there's like one common equivalent (though i might be wrong, of course)

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

boop the snoot posted:

Songwriter checking in. We normally talk about the different kinds of vowels and consonants and the different kinds of rhyme but don't necessarily focus on juxtaposition of different sounds as you've described but we do consider prosody (basically the rhythm and tune of speech because you need this to write good lyrics).

I can recommend Pat Pattinson's book Writing Better Lyrics where he goes through his frame work, which I found extremely useful as a songwriter where music comes easier than lyrics. He's also got a Songwriting Coursera course which I've done before and he goes through those main ideas from his book.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Is it just me or is the general writing advice thread gone?

I can't find it in my bookmarks or in the forum. :ghost:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HIJK posted:

Is it just me or is the general writing advice thread gone?

I can't find it in my bookmarks or in the forum. :ghost:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807739

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
god BLESS YO

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

boop the snoot posted:

I think you are asking about Phonetics, or Phonology. In Poetry classes you will learn about phonetics at a fairly rudimentary level. Fricatives, plosives, nasals, liquids, etc. For some reason, I'm having trouble finding a good website that explains these the way my poetry professors did. Basically though, they are what I would say is the closest thing to the most "elemental" way a writer would think about the sounds of words.

Fricatives have friction, so the sound of F for instance, and plosives Pop!, liquids lilt and linger, etc. I don't think writers would consciously think about these after a certain point of internalizing them, but you can hear in your head if something sounds right. Someone coyly alluring is probably not going to be using plosives all the time (unless you've got something clever going on).

Fricatives have an inherent friction required to produce them, which is why it's so satisfying to say "gently caress!" or "poo poo!" You can really drag out the fffff or sssshhhh in those; it's like you're revving up the engine, ffffffuck!. Likewise, "drat!" and "bitch!" both start with a plosive, you're literally expelling the words from your mouth.

I would say above that in complexity are things like alliteration and assonance etc., then rhyme schemes, and above that would be meter (iambic pentameter for example). In verse/poetry, these are crucial elements of writing and will likely be consciously arranged, but in prose writing I would say these concepts will tend to be more internalized unless there is a specific effect the writer is going for.

You can see these in effect in a lot of Robert Frost poems (he was big on phonetics IIRC):

quote:

Design

I found a dimpled spider, fat and white,
On a white heal-all, holding up a moth
Like a white piece of rigid satin cloth--
Assorted characters of death and blight
Mixed ready to begin the morning right,
Like the ingredients of a witches' broth--
A snow-drop spider, a flower like a froth,
And dead wings carried like a paper kite.

What had that flower to do with being white,
The wayside blue and innocent heal-all?
What brought the kindred spider to that height,
Then steered the white moth thither in the night?
What but design of darkness to appall?--
If design govern in a thing so small.

You can really hear the sonic qualities a few places here.

"A snow-drop spider" and "a flower like a froth" are both very steady and take their time, because the repeated "s" in snow and spider and "f" in flower and froth slow down the pace of the line. They're almost dainty sounding, with their careful parallel structure, because they're meant to evoke the idea of "oh, a little white buggie that looks like a drop of snow, and he's on an all white flower, how ni------" but then he hits you with "And dead wings." The plosive in the word "dead" literally stops the sentence in its tracks. The words "dead wings" have a spondaic quality (rhythmically, they're stressed, stressed). So the image progression of a snow-drop spider, a flower like a froth, and Dead Wings is meant to really arrest you.

You can see the opposite effect in "The wayside blue and innocent heal-all." The "lue" in "blue" and "eal-all" in "heal-all" are very liquid sounding. It's such a vowel-dominated line, "waaaysiiide bluuueee and iiiinnoceeent heeaal-aaaaall", it softens up the sound of the line so much. Which is exactly the point--why is this grisly, macabre scene happening on top of this innocent flower, and what satanic being was sending me a message by taking a normally blue flower and making it white, just to defile its sanctity?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It sounds like the terminology your poetry professors used might be a simplified version of linguistic phonology, that uses just the stuff that's relevant to English-language writing. Fricatives and plosives are categories of consonants in linguistics, while "liquids" aren't. (Not sure what exactly they map to but l like in "liquid" is an approximant, which is halfway between fricatives and vowels and also includes the starting sounds of "rest", "yes" and "west".)

Djeser fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 26, 2021

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Yeah, it was several years ago so I am running off memories of lectures. I know there is a ton of academic literature on the topic as it relates to poetry and to, for example, Nabokov's use of language in the opening lines of Lolita. Not just meter but also the sounds of words themselves. I agree that it's not as codified and clear-cut as the color wheel.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'm looking to commission an artist to make an AV. I only commission maybe one artist a year and I tend to be super picky about it. When I'm actually throwing a bunch of money at someone I want the artist to be. You know. A decent human being. With alright talent.

I tried twitter and I just drowned in bots and NFT artists. I know of some good artists but they are all overbooked. Where can I find good people artists?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Honestly, Twitter. If the artists you already know are on there then they probably follow other artists, who follow other artists, and so on.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Honestly, Twitter. If the artists you already know are on there then they probably follow other artists, who follow other artists, and so on.

Yes I'm starting to think that's the way to go. I'm working my way through artist chains. Sending some emails and some DMs and hope for the best.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Try the daily drawing thread or the goldmined CC traveling circus if you're looking for a goon. Long as you're paying you can open a thread in CC too.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

sebmojo posted:

Try the daily drawing thread or the goldmined CC traveling circus if you're looking for a goon. Long as you're paying you can open a thread in CC too.

Thanks!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
We also did sort of establish a commission resource thread, though I think it fell off page 1 and into obscurity

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964463

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

loving clients, please stop it with the "i was thinking something along the lines of or inspired by this other design" bullshit, just say "plagiarise this exactly" and be done with it

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Does anyone know of a good site (or API) that will poo poo out an arbitrary number of names to a text file or copy/paste-to-Excel friendly format? Or, if it's an API, that I can pull from with Python to create such lists?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Name names or mostly random strings?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Warbird posted:

Name names or mostly random strings?

Name names. Something like BehindTheName's random generator or FantasyNameGenerator would give. If it was just random strings I could do that myself in 5 minutes.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Seventh Sanctum might have what you're looking for?
https://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=quickname

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey I'm a kinda witty cis-white-male in his late 30s who read Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid. I'm looking for someone who is something other than another cis-het-white-male who is also kinda witty and maybe this person and I could have fun banter doing a podcast about this.

So, for a while my ex and I did a podcast where she and I would take turns reading Choose Your Own Adventure books and our guest would make the choices. She and I have since broken up but I really want to keep doing these podcasts. But doing it without a cohost feels kinda lackluster and hollow. I don't want another cohost who is basically the same as me... ideally it would be someone with some different perspective, whether they're trans, female, a person of color, I don't know something other than what I am which is Basic As Can Be.

I guess in posting here I'm for one, throwing out the offer, if anyone here wants to give this a shot? But also to ask, is there a more specific place I should ask this?

If you're interested in hearing what the podcast sounds like, the last thirty or so episodes are examples of this format.

https://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/

I don't have fancy gold man membership so... if you're interested, I guess respond here? Or send me an e-mail at calvinredburn@gmail.com or hit me up on Facebook or whatever. Shrug.

Oh! But, also, I guess since I'm here, if you want to just participate as a guest, I'm really wanting to put myself to work on small projects like this while I continue to reel from the shitshow my life has become.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

credburn posted:

I'm looking for someone who is something other than another cis-het-white-male who is also kinda witty and maybe this person and I could have fun banter doing a podcast about this.

I guess in posting here I'm for one, throwing out the offer, if anyone here wants to give this a shot? But also to ask, is there a more specific place I should ask this?

https://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/

Twitter, unironically. I would probably look up people tweeting things that indicate they might be the right kind of person, vet them by perusing their tweets and then I'd probably DM them to see if they're interested.

Have you tried asking any of your podcast listeners? Because maybe they might be interested or they might know someone who would be interested.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Leng posted:

Twitter, unironically. I would probably look up people tweeting things that indicate they might be the right kind of person, vet them by perusing their tweets and then I'd probably DM them to see if they're interested.

Have you tried asking any of your podcast listeners? Because maybe they might be interested or they might know someone who would be interested.

Haha unfortunately, most of our podcast listeners were "our" friends who are now all "her" friends :\

Man I haven't even touched Twitter in so many years, and in even then I didn't get it.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

credburn posted:

Man I haven't even touched Twitter in so many years, and in even then I didn't get it.

If it's any consolation, I don't get Twitter either :v: but I do think the people who you're looking for do hang out there. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
How do y'all feel about collages? I know they're a much maligned medium these days, but it's the only artistically creative thing I've been doing lately and dammit I wanna post about it. What I don't know is if it warrants a new thread or if I should just slam them in daily doodles.

If nothing else doing collages has gotten the creative juices flowing again so that's a win for me.