Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

FunkyAl posted:

something awful user al! are you my doppel-ganger or am i yours.....

thanks for the pen recs btw everybody, I'm going to save them for when i start making comics again in......october

Late with this but...

Rotring (or koh-i-noor) rapidograph is the go-to if you truly need absolutely uniform widths, for instance if you're doing drawings for a patent application. Once you have ink in it you have to use it all the time or it'll dry up and you can take them apart and clean em but man they will just never work the same again no matter what you do. So I don't like them.

I sometimes use Pigma Micron markers instead - you can vary the width a bit if you press but for the most part it's easy to get really uniform width. They're exceptionally good for monochrome pointillist art.

For most drawing I use dip pens with zebra G nibs or a smaller "crow quill" type nib for super super fine lines, and a pentel brush pen

You can also buy or make a little "reservoir" for your nib that is basically just a little piece of coiled wire that lets you go 3 or 4 times longer between dips.

Although I like writing with a fountain pen I wouldn't really recommend one for art. They are hundreds to thousands of times more expensive than dip pens and you're pretty much stuck with the nib that's on it. Whereas even very good quality nibs and nib holders are cheaper than ink. Also with a fountain pen the ink is very watery, a lot more likely to smear, and will likely not survive interaction with other media.

this broken hill posted:

never knowing when it was going to randomly puke up a big blob of ink and ruin my drawing

I've never had this happen in years of using dip pens...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

If you (like me) have a lot of different art things you want to do, how do you decide which one you should do

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

aren't physical copies of the book at least a million dollars now?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

JuniperCake posted:

The pentel pocket brush pen is a very good brush pen for starting out.

Hell yeah it is.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Well they won't if you don't link to it! Spread it around, goon.

Re: colour, what are some good starter guides? Youtube would be best for me, but whatever works, as right now I'm still working entirely in black and white and I seem to have no eye whatsoever for judging and picking colour.

what medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

Okay, I need a quick sanity check
when I was younger - like 15 or 16 years ago - I used conte crayons a fair amount.
I just picked some up for the first time since then and I must say they feel quite scratchy and unpleasant to drag across the paper. Did something change with their formula or manufacturing or ownership or what?
I also have some Nupastels and those actually feel like what I remember conte crayons feeling like.