Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I'm still writing four novels at the same time because letting myself bounce over to the scene I want to work on, no matter which one it's for, is the only way to keep my fickle brain from stalling. But because I still don't have the first novel done, it feels like I'm getting nowhere even though I'm writing lots. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Mirage posted:

Oh hey nice to meet me.

I decided a while back that I can't call myself a writer if I don't actually, like, write. I'm close to two straight years now of writing something new every single day, even if only a few paragraphs. Sadly, though, I feel like my wellspring of creation runs dry if I maintain the same narrative for a long time. Right now I'm simul-writing two novel series plus various short stories and novellas. I'm forcing myself to finish one book because I'm so drat close, but it really does feel like a slog.

Another unfortunate side effect of my "new writing all the time" policy is that I'm kinda loath to revise a couple books I've already written. I realize this is beyond stupid if I ever intend to make any money off this labor. Still, though, being stupid has never been much of a deterrent before so why start worrying about it now. :v:

If I spend too much time writing lovely first drafts (and they're all poo poo) I get depressed with myself for being a lovely writer. I remedy that by switching to editing and ripping my poo poo apart until it no longer brings me shame. Which is another reason it's taken so long to write all these damned novels. Not only are they incomplete, the parts are all in different draft stages.

this broken hill posted:

i'm aware this post makes me sound dangerously unbalanced and that's ok

I't ok, we're all unbalanced here. Writers are made by being knocked in the head

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

lofi posted:

This is glorious. I'm not entirely sure I can grasp the sutble symbolism, though.

He's trying to say something here, and I can't quite grasp it...

e: Also I just noticed the trodden-on snake under trump's foot, that is a surprise. Or maybe it's his tail. Or, going by facial expression, he's crapped himself again and it's run out his trouser leg.

Real interpretation:

Top painting: All the old white founding fathers are shocked at a black president. They cry, "But what about the white man? What about the sad white men? We white men wrote the constitution just for him!"

Bottom painting: "Rejoice for you have a white president again. I will give everything to the white men. To the sad white men. And I will also destroy all nature that we cannot enslave."

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Pentaro posted:

Please stop posting excerpts from my personal journal, tia.

Speaking of art-related sadbrains, I'm just recovering from a nasty hit. I've always wished to (somehow) live from art, so I applied to a local art college a few months ago. Long story short: I didn't made it. I passed both the theory and the practical tests, but apparently they didn't like what they saw in my portfolio... a fact I found out like two weeks later, when they published the official list of admissions. And well, that sent me to a very bad place mentally because dang, what I thought was my best was not good enough so what's the point gently caress everything and everyone, etc.

I'm hanging there.

Don't feel too bad. A high-school buddy of mine was rejected due to submitting "cartoon art" so portfolio judges often disqualify prospective students based on prejudice rather than whether you can draw or not. I took an evening figure drawing course the year before I applied and submitted my best work from that--got in easily that way.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I should also mention that buddy took my advice and resubmitted a portfolio with figure drawing, still lifes, and some pottery he did in high school (I also had pottery and jewellery in mine), and got accepted the next year. Most art schools want to see you willing to draw first year poo poo, which is primarily still life and figure drawing, and have the idea that anyone submitting "cartoon art" isn't serious--which is horseshit, but at the same time my buddy quit after first year because he ended up hating it.

To be honest, I never became a jeweller after graduating with that as my major, so the whole BFA was kind of just me pissing around because I didn't know what to do with my life.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I miss the manic creative high, where I could sit for 8-12 hours in either a total zen state or laughing my rear end off as new (stupid) ideas keep popping up in my head. But the high only comes around midnight, keeping me up all night long and well into the morning, and since the only effective pill I can take for my migraines makes me too drowsy I can no longer stay up all night. But that was unhealthy in other ways as well so…

Now that my circadian rhythms have settled into a normal human range, I have this slow pilot light going on creatively. I write for two hours and two hours at night, and if I'm lucky (no obligations that day, no headaches) might get another 2-4 hours of writing done in the afternoon. I find myself only dropping into a light flow state, one too easy to drop out of, and my ideas tends to run dry after a couple hours. I have to take those breaks between writing to let the well refill. But if I keep steady, and am ready to jump on whatever my mind conjures up, I don't stall out like I used to. And I honestly think my ideas are better when I give them a lot of time to simmer than those manic binges where I mostly wrote stupid poo poo.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

gently caress I cannot write and listen to music. I used to be able to listen to instrumental music because it didn't take up space in the verbal centers of my brain, but the stuff I'm listening to now takes up all my attention. I'm just sitting here with a blank page spacing out on the tunes

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

avshalemon posted:

the only non-instrumental music i can write to is leonard cohen

Probably because Cohen's voice reaches deep into the subsonics, burrowing under your consciousness.

I think just too much is going on in Sun Ra's music. It fills your whole being.

That and the random bursts of spoken word weirdness

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

So apparently I can't even listen to Sun Ra's most chill vibes while writing because it demands too much attention. So I let autoplay on YouTube just do its thing, and I don't know why its algorithm chooses what it does, but it's taking me to magical places. Maybe I can write to some of this.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Kanine posted:

that brings up another question i have actually, when climate change, economic collapse, and the resultant political turmoil make poo poo hit the fan over the next two decades do you think you're going to keep trying to be an artist?

personally ill probably be the guy in my leftist militia that makes cool propaganda posters to paste all over the burned out city we're liberating

I will journey across the landscape seeking to preserve knowledge, eventually cloistering myself with like-minded people in a secular monastery somewhere incredibly difficult to get to in the hopes we won't be raided by the roving biker gangs

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Yeah, anyone who says you need to suffer for your art has no idea how much chronic pain makes it difficult to get anything done

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I will admit that after almost giving up on art due to lovely life circumstances, a bad weeks-long trip on the wrong prescription drugs blew my mind right open. But it wasn't until I got off them and regained some sanity that I started writing in earnest

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Every word I've written in the past few weeks has been unadulterated poo poo, but I've filled in all the holes in the first half of my first novel. I've passed the halfway mark, after five loving years chipping away at it. Only ten chapters left to finish, holy poo poo I'm gonna loving do this. I'm just gonna keep going and get the loving first draft done already. Let's do this, gently caress yes, right now gooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Sitting Here posted:

gently caress yeah writing buddy

i got serious about writing approx. 6 years ago (largely thanks to you and the others who started thunderdome) and i am JUST NOW finally like "aha it's fitting together"

so thanks, and yes go do the thing goooooo

I know that feeling so well. I mean, I pretty much pants a draft zero and outline later, but my zero drafts for four novels are full of huge holes and I've been struggling to fill them in. It took five years to finally figure out how to outline book one so the story makes sense, and now I know exactly what to write next. It sure makes the going easier.

What clicked for this story is because its frame is a long love letter to someone lost, I turned all the chapter headings into sentence fragments that combine into the short form of what the narrator wants to say. That's helped me figure out what scenes are important or not, and later I can focus the same way on a paragraph and sentence level.