Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Stuporstar posted:

I'm still writing four novels at the same time because letting myself bounce over to the scene I want to work on, no matter which one it's for, is the only way to keep my fickle brain from stalling. But because I still don't have the first novel done, it feels like I'm getting nowhere even though I'm writing lots. :eng99:

Oh hey nice to meet me.

I decided a while back that I can't call myself a writer if I don't actually, like, write. I'm close to two straight years now of writing something new every single day, even if only a few paragraphs. Sadly, though, I feel like my wellspring of creation runs dry if I maintain the same narrative for a long time. Right now I'm simul-writing two novel series plus various short stories and novellas. I'm forcing myself to finish one book because I'm so drat close, but it really does feel like a slog.

Another unfortunate side effect of my "new writing all the time" policy is that I'm kinda loath to revise a couple books I've already written. I realize this is beyond stupid if I ever intend to make any money off this labor. Still, though, being stupid has never been much of a deterrent before so why start worrying about it now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Sitting Here posted:

shameful admission, i've been writing a lot to the Sim City 5 soundtrack. Something about the bustle gets me going

No shame there, for a while half my playlist was from the Sims. The Simlish radio stations unexpectedly own.

Now I just keep whatever random music I've thumbs-upped on Google Play on shuffle. Transitioning from Frank Sinatra to "Beep Beep I'm a Sheep" flips all sorts of brain switches.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone that uses Clip Studio Paint know if there is a way to select an area and say "hey blur it by x amount"? Blurring background stuff can be inconsistent when I do it by hand but more importantly if I'm trying to blur a large area the program lags like hell.

Select the layer you want to blur and select Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur. This also works on a selection if you don't want to do the whole layer.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

The color of a shadow depends on the environment and/or other lit objects projecting some of their reflected light back onto the darkness.

For instance, in a sunny outdoor scene, the primary light source is the sun, which is whatever color you consider the sun being (usually white/almost-white-yellow, but maybe closer to egg-yellow or orange-red in the morning and evening). But there's another light source: the sky, which is usually an even blue color projected from the entire 180-degree sky dome. This makes shadows look bluish instead of pitch black. This also gives objects a second, smaller, murky grey-black shadow directly underneath them no matter which direction the sunlight comes from. However, the sun is still many times brighter than the sky, so this fuzzy shadow is often washed out completely. (You can see that shadow much more clearly on cloudy days.)

But then! There are probably other objects in the scene, each of which is its own source of reflected sunlight. This reflection is a mix of the color of sunlight plus the color of the object. The closer an object is, plus the more direct the light is on that object relative to your subject, plus how light-colored or reflective the object is, determines how intensely it will color the dark side of your subject and its shadows.

Then you have to consider how several of these objects may light up the subject and each other and aaaaargh

OR ... you cheat. You consider maybe two or three of the most obvious light and color sources, and figure everything else just sort of blends into grey mush.

Indoor scenes are somewhat similar, except you replace the sun color with your primary light source (which may still be the sun), change the skydome color to the color(s) of the walls and ceiling, eyeball/imagine how much reflection is coming off the floor/carpet, and darken things down a tad.

But yeah. As many people have said already, observe observe observe. If you're ever in a place or see a picture or watching a movie and think "Wow, I like this feel," stop and analyze the light sources, the colors, and especially the shadows. After a while it becomes instinctual.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

FunkyAl posted:

moving a mailbox across the street in the dead of night at winter and never acknowledging it and leaving absolutley no trace behind. placing statues fingers in their noses in museums. a big gorilla enters and leaves a city street and people can see this one but not so much a rational thing, even though rationally i would have to hide a gorilla in a glass box with mirrors. pranks with production values. that sorta thing.

This is reminiscent of the magic system from the PnP RPG Mage: The Awakening. The more "unreal" your magical effects become (at least in public), the more you have to worry about consensual reality smacking you down. So it's in your best interest to make spells either look like stage magic or freak coincidences. Slinging fireballs? Bad. Gas explosions? Plausible deniability.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Not just artists! Writers do the same thing. I hate every word that comes out of my head as I'm doing it, then I come back to it six months later and go, "This wasn't half bad."

Then I come back to it again five years later and think, "Wow, I used WAY too many adjectives."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Fruity20 posted:

is world building or conlanging a creative hobby? I wanna make a thread about since it's the only thing i miss from reddit

They're both art forms, so :justpost:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I'm Writacus!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

If zombi(e)s went back to the original concept of drugged people robbed of their will and stalking people in misty bayous, that would at least be different. Not a mindless horde of slow cannibalistic weaklings, but silent, single-minded, implacable killers who need no sleep and feel no pain.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

The problem is less "I have big ol' crusher hands and can't do anything right" and more "I haven't done enough to train my fine motor skills."

It's a skill. Skills aren't inborn. Eventually you just get a feel for things, and the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Oh, sure, yeah. Nothing ever, ever feels finished. But unless you're gonna resubmit or republish something, it's usually better to leave it alone and do something else.

Now if you have an idea that just KILLS, that takes the original story and makes it so much better that you can't sleep at night, go ahead, get it all out of your head for sanity's sake. Just bear in mind you may have trouble shopping it around, and you could be using that time to create something new. That's what usually kills the rewriting bug in me, the idea that time is not infinite and there are more horizons to visit than I'll ever be able to reach in one lifetime.