Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Approaching the finish line on creating a cool magic trick but writing the instructions always sucks the life out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

lofi posted:

As in stage magic, nothing up my sleeves? That's rad, how do you go about making one? I'd have no idea how you'd even start.

Yeah, that kind of magic.

One way magic creators develop a trick is they come up with the overall effect/payoff/presentation (what the audience/camera/whatever is going to see) first and then work backwards from that point to figure out how they are going to achieve that magic moment in the best way possible. The way it worked for me this time around was the opposite: I was talking with someone about how they could utilize a couple of magic items they had and came up with something interesting during the course of the discussion that I mentally made a note of to develop further. So I developed the method first and then had to dick around and build up an interesting presentation.

Over the years, various magicians interested in magic theory have classified effects into various categories, like so:

Production (appearance, creation, multiplication)
Vanish (disappearance, obliteration)
Transposition (change in location)
Transformation (change in appearance, character or identity)
Penetration (one solid through another)
Restoration (making the destroyed whole)
Animation (movement imparted to the inanimate)
Anti-gravity (levitation and change in weight)
Attraction (mysterious adhesion)
Sympathetic Reaction (sympathetic response)
Invulnerability (injury-proof)
Physical Anomaly (contradictions, abnormalities, freaks)
Spectator Failure (magician's challenge)
Control (mind over the inanimate)
Identification (specific discovery)
Thought Reading (mental perception, mind reading)
Thought Transmission (thought projection and transference)
Prediction (foretelling the future)
Extrasensory Perception (unusual perception, other than mind)

This is just one example of effect classification, but this sums up everything that can be done in magic. Every piece of magic has one or more elements of the above, so you figure out what elements your trick has and then you research how to go about doing it. Each category above is going to have hundreds of variations depending on the objects you use and what you are doing, those variations are going to have improvements and subtleties added over the years , and so on, until the present day 2018.

To a certain degree you have to leave a portion of your ego at the door because there's no way to create something completely new and original in magic, you are always standing on the shoulders of someone else. You are usually coming up with some new way to present something, or a better way of doing something, or finding something that has been forgotten for 300 years and putting a modern spin on it.

That's kinda the gist of it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Also blood sacrifice helps.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
White animals for the good and pure magic (most magic falls under this)

Black animals for evil, banned magic (necromancy, talking to the dead, children's party magic, linking rings)

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 19, 2018

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Only go to art school if you want to eventually be a teacher at the art school you used to be a student at.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
When everything collapses who is gonna lovingly preserve the world's fan fiction, housing them in beautiful illuminated manuscripts for future generations to masturbate to?

Us that's who.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 3, 2018

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
People are more interested in the journey, not the destination.

I find I get way more mileage and interest out of documenting and posting about projects as they develop than just trying to promote a finished project. Everyone likes to see the triumphs and the struggles as something evolves over time. Not sure how feasible that would be for a webcomic that is updated consistently, so maybe start doing that for any side projects you have going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
You can export SketchUp files to COLLADA (.dae) and import that into Blender, or vice versa if you are trying to get some geometry into SketchUp.

Exporting to COLLADA won't export the following, though:

Coordinate lines
Dimensions
Guide lines and guide points
Matched photos
Material pushpin locations
Rendering options
Scenes
Section planes
Section cuts
Shadows
Text

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/importing-and-exporting-collada-files

Anyway, trying to get various complex 3D programs to play nice with each other can be a huge pain in the rear end.