Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Should the animals sacrificed be pure black or pure white? I've heard it either way but surely one works better than the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
All mothers know the urge to kill their creation lest they be judged by it.

...I hear.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Real question: are there really that many right-wing artists and creatives? Seems sort of a redundant classification.

I mean it's possible they exist and I just haven't run into them, kinda like I didn't really believe that you could get an artist without crippling mental health problems before I did a shoutout in the daily doodles thread and found out that there's at least one.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Ahahaha wowwww those are some incredible artz right there.

I have no idea how those Trump paintings manage to so clearly scream "daddy issues".
There's gotta be some sort of specific sets of visual cues that I can't quite put a finger on in there, but he looks like a stern, disappointed father figure in every one.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I wonder if he cries when painting. Not like ugly-crying, but when he's putting the finishing touches on Trump's lips, he'll let a patriotic tear escape his eye as he thinks about what a service he's doing to Americans, now that they can see what he sees in The President, The Holy Father of Us All On This Earth.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Us lefties worship Communism and Marx is our only god.

Man, have I been wrong about the amount of right-wing artists. I've been well protected by staying off Facebook. That's right, you heard me. I'm one of the cool ones. :smuggo:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Oh no don't let the warham furry unleash Logic on me I could not bear it :allears:

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

remember when Doug TenNapel co-boarded an early scrapped adventure time episode

I wanna hear more about this plz tell me.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
To make even lines on tablet:
Pull your lines fast and confident, like really fast. Don't wait around for nothin'. This will make you gently caress up your first try, that's ok, ctrl-z, do it faster and pull again. hosed up again, that's ok, Ctrl-z, no wait, yeah, again and no, wait this time and WALLA perfect smooth line.
ALSO work a canvas bigger than you need to (like twice or thrice the size that you'll want it), so that when you shrink the piece to viewing size, the minorest wobbles that are left behind will MAGICALLY DISAPPEAR.

Third option: Paint Tool Sai has a line de-wobbler and the option to choose a lineart layer where you can pull and poke and prod at every line you draw to get them just right.

Dip pens will glob at you until you learn to daintily dip it to fill up the reserve-hole and then DIP NO FURTHER. Once you perfect your dipping, it won't happen ever again. What will happen is that you'll try to erase sketch lines too soon and smudge the pic up, or you'll touch it with an inky finger and smudge the pic up, or you'll shift wrong because of course you're doing this on your bed and now you've got ink all over your bed but at least the pic is secure.

While we're at it, there are mechanical pens that are refillable, but dear gooooooddddds do the small ones clog often and they are a pain to refill and maintain.

I love the inkbrush pens although they are expensive and I'd actually use them up pretty quick, but they're convenient to carry around and you won't have ink everywhere.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

i always feel like i shouldnt give reccommendations because im not a real artist

Do not do this to yourself, friend.

Ask yourself: am I making an art?

If Yes, this is art -> Artist.
If Sorta, I mean it's visual but on a computer and also it moves -> Artist.
If No, not really I'm just putting my name on a urinal and shoving it in a museum -> Artist
If No, this is in fact a sausage -> Artisan

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Whenever the art juices dry up and I can't get a thing flowing, I feel distinctly like a ladybug stuck on its back. Not a turtle, turtles are slow and wise and good. Ladybugs with their flailing legs and stinky poops and soundless despair.

Then I shrug and get over it.

What does Art Despair feel like to y'all?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Pentaro posted:

Please stop posting excerpts from my personal journal, tia.

Speaking of art-related sadbrains, I'm just recovering from a nasty hit. I've always wished to (somehow) live from art, so I applied to a local art college a few months ago. Long story short: I didn't made it. I passed both the theory and the practical tests, but apparently they didn't like what they saw in my portfolio... a fact I found out like two weeks later, when they published the official list of admissions. And well, that sent me to a very bad place mentally because dang, what I thought was my best was not good enough so what's the point gently caress everything and everyone, etc.

I'm hanging there.

I feel for ya buddy. When I applied for art college, part of the "points" was your grade school averages, the other part was three pieces we had to make in an exam. This way, if your school average was poor (like if you sucked at math and history and gymnastics), your excellent artistic ability could give you the points to carry over and get you in.
I absolutely got gently caress-all on the art points.
It can completely be the thing Stuporstar said, the stupid "real" artists don't do cartoony stuff snobbery. Buuuullllshiiiiit.
Failing once doesn't mean the next one will fail, though. If they've got examples of portfolios that would get your through, ask to see them so next time you know what they're looking for.
There's nothing wrong with working a grunt job to support yourself and doing art on your free time, either, it's just more time to build up your portfolio for your next attempt.
Still, sorry this happened 'cause I know it loving hurts.

Remember that when life gives your lemons, you draw the lemons and complain the whole way through.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
When I hit the Art Groove, I feel like a goddamn goddess. I am a Creator and all you see before you has been molded by my hand. I don't have to think or stop to consider, the lines take their places effortlessly and the colours blend and sit pretty and it all feels natural.
It's surprisingly similar to runner's high.

Those are the rare pieces that I can look at years later and not feel like I'd do them different this time. The ones that are full of small moments of success, just the right angle somewhere, just the right gesture and movement. The ones where you know no-one else sees them the way you see them.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

a hole-y ghost posted:

You can't tease us with that description and not post a picture :(

You obviously need to start sending prints of your stuff to your parents if you don't know what it's like to go and visit your parents only to find out there's at minimum an entire wall covered in your art.

Edited to add: I am happy that my parents are and always have been so supportive of my art :3:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Stuporstar posted:

Yeah, anyone who says you need to suffer for your art has no idea how much chronic pain makes it difficult to get anything done

This old belief clings because back in the before-times, artists needed to be in pain all the time because the paints were all dry powders so you needed a portable irrigation solution and the only way to get a nice taught canvas was to water it with your tears before stretching it over the frame.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Nowadays artists need to be in pain because crying's the only way they can afford the saltwater for their macaroni dinners.

I want my superpower to be tazer-eyes.

Edit: obviously so I can also cook the macaroni.

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 6, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna start charging for my art on the pain scale depending on how much of a pain in the rear end they were to make.

"This piece is going cheap, it was only 2-noodlecupfulls of tears"
"This one was is a bit pricey, a saltwater aquarium on the pain scale"
"Behold my Magnum Opus, a full saltwater pool"

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I really don't like losing bits, how much of a gif can I get by dislocating my knee? I can toss in a couple of hard bitedowns on stones if need be.

I can't wait for a performance artist to get in the thread to wiseass about their pain being the art.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

veni veni veni posted:

Blender Guru Youtube channel is great. This guy owns. I'm making donuts lol.

I read this post first of all and was thinking what a great youtube channel this must be, all the things you can cook with a blender! Obviously a great recipe for donuts!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Wooooh what a crazy inktober rite? I mean we were all doing it yeah? YEAH.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Ink in mah veins, ink in mah brains.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

That's... a problem. Sneak in inking at work? Sleep while travelling?

It's the local illustration fair this weekend. They didn't want me, so I'll be pouting a bit. And stealing everyone's ideas. I think the main reason I didn't get in was just not having enough stuff, everyone always has badges and pins and posters and all sorts of stuff. I don't.

Of course, the problem is finding the cash to build up a stock of random tat merch so that I can try to sell it and actually turn a profit. Ordered some postcards today, I think button badges are next on the list. Assuming I don't spend all my cash at the fair. :shepspends:

This is the site I use for my crap: https://zapcreatives.com
They do stickers, plastic and wooden charms, metal charms and pins (too expensive imo). They can take their sweet time getting your products done during busy seasons like approaching christmas, but the quality has always been good, and the prices are affordable and you get to pick many different designs for smallish runs, which is the reason I use them. The reason they're cheap is because you do all the work to prepare the products for their machines - they've got premade templates and guides on how you should set them up.
Anyway, it's pretty easy to make your own fridge magnets by ordering magnets from aliexpress and gluing them on some plastic charms, or making your own keychains by ordering keychain locks - again from aliexpress because yesss cheap china poo poo is the best - and then doing some plierwork with bits of chain and jump rings. Same for pin backs - most of my findings I get off alix. I haven't made jewellery, but that would be easy enough as well from the charms, but you're better off looking to your local craft stores or goldsmith suppliers if you want real silver string or findings.

If you've not used alix before, certain reservations apply when ordering stuff direct from china. Keep smart, check reviews, always read any text in the listing, double-check size and material. Just 'cause the listing headline says "steel jump ring" doesn't mean that the actual info inside the listing says the material is steel and also neither is the product and now you're wondering why you didn't just pay the 20 cents more to get the actual steel ones like you did before.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

Christ knows how anyone makes a profit off the thing, but I guess they must or they wouldn't do it, right?

Faires can be hit or miss, where especially multi-day events can have days where you sell nothing all day and days where you're struggling to keep up with the sales. It can just be luck, depending on how well your art matches the personalities of the people who come over. I've only done a few, and never came out of them empty-handed, but I've seen other people selling different kind of stuff get practically no sales. I learned a lot just talking to the other sellers around me.

Presentation can mean a lot! If you haven't thought about how you're gonna set up your table when you get your faire, now's a good time to get building some simple display thingies - like ..scaffoldings? (I really don't know the word for the setups) that rise up that you can set on your table so you can get as much of your art on display as possible. There's too much to see at faires for people whose interest you don't immediately catch to thumb through a portfolio.

dupersaurus posted:

I think the final total of prints is going to be around 150, and I have seriously no clue how much of that is coming back home with me.

Hive mind: how much would you pay for 8x10, 11x14, and 16x16? My initial thought for price is $20/25/30, but could I do 20/30/40?

Congrats on finishing The Grind! Honestly the prices are gonna depend on your local price range, I hope you have a friend to help you so you can scope out the competition during the day! Keep your numbers padded enough so you can take some off to convince a hesitant buyer or to offer a combo deal if someone wants several pieces. I am also personally a cheapskate and would probably buy at the lower price range and hesitate at the 40. Then again, there are people - not artists 'cause all artists are poors - who don't even blink at dropping 100 bux on a casual fair purchase. It might be a good idea to have a few "rare prints" at a higher price, that you haven't made many of to see if anyone bites.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Hey any of y'alls got any tattooing knowledge? I know very little, just bits and bobs. I've been asked to design a tattoo, again, and after the last time when I swore I never never NEVER would do it again, again... still said "yea ok".
I know not to put too much detail in small areas, but I've now seen several of my designs being inked like line weight is not a Thing at all. It has severely hosed up the results where the tattoo artist has just gone through the middle of lines with a needle thinner than the lines were meant for, including just ignoring shadows bound into the lines.

Should I hedge my bets and design for just one line weight, assuming the rest will be area-fill or greyscale in order to make it less gently caress-uppable by the tattoo artist? Or can I do various line weights with "lol it's your problem if you go cheap on your artist"?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yessss great idea, thanks!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

FunkyAl posted:

ignore everything everyone in this thread all said tattoo the person with like an exacto blade or paper clip and some ink you have been collecting in your prison toilet from bic pens from the consignement store.make it of a bad rear end robed lizard cracking the world open like an egg and spilling the molten core into space. anyway guys gotta run my consignment internet rental is almost over, it too me 87 hours of work to afford the ten minute session

Finally some real advice! I already got my ink made from the charred bones of my enemies. I'm also using the bones as the needles. It's gonna be a wizard skull with a skull tattoo. Tattooed on their skull.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Need to make Thing. Optionally also: be appreciated by other humans for being good at Making Thing.

..in other words, personal fulfillment.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Also I think there's things that need to exist that we artists bear the burden of bringing into existence.
We have the power of creators, to pull and pin an idea from a void and solidify it.

Then we use it to make a picture of pregnant Shrek.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm sorry to break the current ongoing conversation but I chewed on the function of art a bit and I wanted to add a couple of things as observations, if anyone is interested.

When I was a kid (80's-90's), the purpose and "job" of art was a conversation I had often (because I talked more with adults than other kids). Overwhelmingly, the idea back then was that art is a reflection of its time, but also serves an important purpose as the critic of said time. I think it might've had something to do with the way that Soviet propaganda art had influenced the art scene in Finland for so long, causing a backlash where the job of art then was to call authority into question. Rebellious art and rebelling through art was the duty of an artist. The ones with the power to visualize had to use that power to expose injustice within the system. Making fun of and revealing flaws in leaders after an authoritarian streak was new and exciting and comparably it's sorta hilarious that nowadays anyone can make one million peepee poopoo he's a bad president- memes like it ain't no thang. Back just before I was born though, making fun of someone as important as the president was just not ok and monocles were popped when someone dared to question the goodness of leaders.
Anyway, the biggest theme that I remember in art was essentially worrying about pollution, nuclear weapons and the greed of leaders, but with extra middle fingers pointed at them. That was what art was supposed to do, and it was good of artists and art to do that, to blatantly show opinion. I'm not sure if art did its job - swayed opinions - or if the opinionated art was reflecting the turning tide, but I remember a lot of things did change for the better.

Despite which, we're still worrying about pollution, nuclear weapons, and corporate greed instead of personal greed. This time around there's nothing rebellious about giving the finger to presidents, it's expected. Art looks for new things and new ways of looking at things, so the function can't now be the same as it was back then. But if you'd asked me 25 years ago, I would've known for sure what the function of art is.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Postin' nips all day erry day

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
They want another hot chick in bikini armour. Please disappoint them massively.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Demons do not think much about our aesthetics to begin with. Just draw one gargantuan beast with boils and hair all over. THEN you put the bikini armour on them.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
NOT IT

I've drawn enough bikinis on things that do not need bikinis

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Mind you if I could do a monthly theme on the daily doodles thread, demons & swimwear would be one hell of a month.

EDITED TO ADD:

lol did anyone actually think I wasn't gonna draw this the first chance I get, it's in the daily doodles thread 'cause I dunno if I should poo poo it all up in here with extreme NSFW
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846757&pagenumber=63#post490605701

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 11, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yesss do it do it. All the Riders in mankinis.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

a hole-y ghost posted:

...why are boots so hard to draw :goleft:

My go-to solution is claw feet. No need for shoes.

Also a surprising amount of people just loving loving to go barefoot.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Always have your character kicking at the viewer so all you need to draw is the bottom of the shoe with all the tiny treads so you have tiny things to draw.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

quite possibly the dumbest thing i've ever doodled

I appreciate the obvious tracksuit bottoms to give this an extra slav vibe.

I have provided a similar solution:

a hole-y ghost should have no problems drawing boots ever again.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Yet there's something quite satisfying about finding a file called "whatevr" or "uglyomg" and finding out what treasures hide within.

Edited to add: if there's a filename with a word that's correctly spelled, that's completely by accident.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Piss off an artist, agree with their whingy assessment of their own work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I only read The Internet :coal: