Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If you’re going to be doing art on a tablet in Windows and want super smooth lines then I highly recommend Lazy Nezumi. It really lets you get a lot of good control of the way the cursor moves with the pen to eliminate wobble and let you achieve a lot of great effects. It’s better than the built-in line smoothing in any software I’ve used. It’s designed for Photoshop but can be bound to any program with a keyboard shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
My most popular post on Tumblr ever is some Rhythm Heaven Fever fanart I posted in 2012. Every so often it will get a few notes over the course of a few days; the last time was about a week ago. Meanwhile I'm lucky if my comic update posts, which I have been posting twice a week for the past 6 years or so, exceed two likes.

It's frustrating!!

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
How do you all feel about putting your work out there for consumption? Lately, I've been feeling pretty frustrated and discouraged!

I have a webcomic I publish every Tuesday and Thursday. I don't have a lot of trouble staying consistent these days, and I have a clear idea of where the story is going, so actually doing it isn't the problem. The problem is that lately I've been feeling like no one really gives a poo poo about it. Whenever I try to promote it, it gets ignored. Like, entirely. I posted about it elsewhere recently and that post generated zero referrals. Nobody clicked the link, at all. I put a lot of effort into curating pages to specifically showcase in the post, too, because I wanted to show everyone that my work is, in fact, good, but nobody even clicked the link. It's very discouraging.

I want to be clear, here; I'm not going to stop making comics; there is a lot of personal significance to my work, that's why I do it, but sometimes I wonder why I put so much effort into this poo poo when it feels like I'm the only one who cares at all. The thing is, I don't have any real strategy when this happens. I usually just feel this way for a while and then it passes, so that got me wondering what other people do when it starts to feel like this. Do you guys have anything in particular you do to get yourself out of the artdumps?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ccs posted:

If you want to try to grow a following you could try drawing fanart for popular series you like, especially if those series are similar in tone and content to your own work. That way you'll generate clicks and be able to say 'if you like those check out my comic'

If you want critique on your comic and what this thread thinks might make it more appealing you can link to it!

I've considered doing fan art and never find it interesting enough to sustain. I guess being frustrated that my personal art alone doesn't draw attention is kind of silly since that's Just How It Is; you can't just MAKE people be interested in a thing they've never heard of. I should really either revisit the idea or accept that I'm doing this the hard way.

But yeah I'd love critique and feedback if anyone is willing to give it! I try to work on improving my craft as much as I can and the more feedback the better. It's at http://bsfantasy-comic.com

Tollymain posted:

where you posting it at, how many people follow you and will see it, do you have artist friends who can shill you a little,

Well, thing is, it was that post in the general webcomics thread about a week ago. As you pointed out, it was probably poor timing. I was all amped up about it because usually I just post a link and head on my way, but this time I curated like 12 fuckin example pages and put a lot of effort into it. And those text only posts got clicks while this one got none. So that hit me kinda hard!

Otherwise I haven't been putting enough effort into shilling myself I guess. I don't really know where to go to advertise these days and I didn't know how to get people interested when I did (maybe my project wonderful ads were bad?)