Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

It's a Finnish slur for swedes, you can stop guessing, thanks.

As a swede I'm intrigued!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

fauna posted:

i wonder what the expiry date is on old art embarrassment? i can look at stuff i made up until about 18 and find it endearingly terrible (i'm 30) but anything after that i just can't bear to look at. it takes about twelve months now for something i draw to go from "that looks ok" to "oh gently caress please don't make me ever have to see that again." i think it's why i only do abstract art now. i hate looking at my hosed-up old human drawings, even badly-drawn buildings make me cringe myself inside out, and i can't imagine it will ever be any different so i've just stopped trying. what's the point in making art if you can't take any joy in what you made?

You can flip this thinking into "look at how much better I am now than back then!". I want my old stuff to look like poo poo (a bit over exaggerating) compared to my new stuff. I work as a developer and if I looked back at code I wrote at university and didn't feel embarrassment and instead thought "This code looks great, I would write it exactly the same today!" then that would mean that I hadn't improved since then.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I have no idea where to post this so I'm just gonna shoot my question here: I've been doing 3d modeling and sculpting for many years, but I never learned how to draw and I want to!

My main area in 3d has always been character modeling and sculpting so naturally I'm most interested in figure drawing. It just feels like I'm in a weird spot since I have some skill in drawing and obviously a good grasp of shapes and dimensions but I struggle with the "getting my hands to do what I want" part.

Based on my previous experience, is there somewhere y'all would suggest I begin? I've tried to find stuff on my own but just using google results in a mess of books, online courses and hundreds of pages of "7000 TOP tips to draw ANIME" and I'd love to have some guidance.

I'm no professional but following this really helped me get going: https://drawabox.com/

It gets you through the fundamentals techniques of actually drawing (holding pen and making lines) and will then move on to teaching you construction so you can draw things that look 3D. And since you've already familiar with 3D I'm guessing you will have an easier time taking those lessons in. Although you will not be getting any pretty drawings from the lessons for the first weeks/months and many of the lessons are not what I would call "fun" so you should not do Drawabox 100% of your drawing time. The course even tells you to split your time 50/50 between the lessons and drawing for fun to not get burned out. I've finished 5 of the 7 lessons and it took a looong time but it really improved my skills.

Proko also has great tutorials on figure drawing and a bunch of the lessons are free: https://www.proko.com/course/figure-drawing-fundamentals/overview