Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hi avs.

I'm playing a bit of cello with a friend, some songs we wrote ages ago that we're working up to play at an open mic.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I'm actually taking a bit of a break from writing various novels and trying to write some more lighthearted stuff. It's hard to find the passion again once you start doubting yourself.

i liked your crowstory in thunderdome this week : )))

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Press F to art

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We are art trash pandas.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

this broken hill posted:

mum hasn't yet read the novel, when she does she'll probably destroy me in a fit of rage and ennui, as is the natural order of things

So it is written

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

Nice, and much the same line of thinking that pulls me out of despair.

I try to remember that we're monkeys-in-top-hats stuck to a giant ball-bearing that's screaming through space round a perpetual nuke - when you think of it like that, doing anything more than clinging to the ground and screaming seems like a pretty good acheivement.

That's amazing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mod note

This isn't directed at Kanine or anyone else who's talked about the hideous political realities of the cursed hellscape in which we're currently condemned to trudge, but I'd really like this thread to be free of generalised grar.

Feel free to vent about crappy stuff that's happened to you personally, but unfortunately politics tends to consume all the available oxygen then send out for more.

I love this baby thread and all who post in it, and in my dreams it will be a chill place for arts chat.

I'm not desperate for a CC thread on politics stuff in the arts but if you want one then go for it (or use CSPAM/D&D, of course).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Having just written a 1200 word story in like 60 min, the Adagio from Sunshine is really good music to write fast to.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Start a thread for your WIP, if you like. might help with your procrastination to have goons cheering/yelling at you. I have written like 150k words that I would never have written because of thunderdome, which is basically that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

avshalemon posted:

it's the shrieking humanoid thing that kills you if you see its face

Gr- granos..

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

avshalemon posted:

this may sound strange but deviantart is still my favourite art-viewing platform. please go browse my carefully selected favourites, i have spent many minutes gathering them (don't bother with my gallery it only has like three things in it, i'm not an active uploader)

i feel 38.5% more insane after scrolling through these but i think im ok w/ it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fish Noise posted:

"peace in emptiness" as I glance at a blank page that has been sitting open four months in a row.

write 'these are dumb bad words that are lovely' at the top in bold, then keep writing

or draw a dick pic if you're an art, I guess? not sure if it works the same way...?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

avshalemon posted:

if my work doesn't get noticeably better from this point on, i'll have to admit to myself that i'm full of poo poo

we are all full of peepee and doo doo :smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Post a link?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solid dick action

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kanine posted:

ive been making star wars blaster guns for a few weeks ago figuring out what i'd like to make in 3d.

does anybody have suggestions on guns with cool silhouettes or parts that would be good for blasters?

Nice work. This link has a few good ideas- I think Destiny and the sequel are the current frontrunners for interesting space gun design.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oglaf is genuinely good for this, within the limits of a humour strip.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I don't normally do this, but this week is the sixth anniversary of the bloodsoaked Flash Fiction Thunderdome, so if you have ever considered signing up for a round then this is a great opportunity to do it and win not only unending glory but also actual prizes!

Putting in a story also gets you lifetime access to the frankly astonishing Thunderdome Archive which currently has more than seven million words of goon fiction in it, some of which aren't terrible.

You have a couple of days to decide, but it's an easy prompt so I'd just leap right the hell in if I were you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We made some songs! This is me on cello, and an old school friend on the rest - fellow goon steeltoedsneakers does live glitch visuals when we play.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

I made a thread about artist trading cards! You should all sign up and swap real-life tiny art with fellow goons!

e: It, um, decided to change it's tag to 'poo poo post' in a fit of irony sometime during my 50,000 previews. :blush: Are there any mods reading this chat who could change it?

I believe so, yes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Done, neat idea for a thread!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think there is no such thing as art, there is art-feeling. We call things that are made to elicit art-feeling art, but they aren't the only source of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep. 'This object does a good job of producing art feeling in me'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FunkyAl posted:

Fair points all! However there's defenitely a difference between things that are art and things that are of observable quality. Art I think is related to truth and creating meaning within a life. There's a reason people have always marked their environment or created myths and music and images and rituals, you can forge meaning within the fact not just that you lived, but were of a certain time or tribe or place or feeling or any aspect of an human animal living and sensing. It reflects your life and environment and is some way real. But would you call propaganda art? There's an art to it, like there's an art to all design, but does intentionally manipulating and obscuring symbols for the purposes of a state or other entity rob it of its true soul? How about people using principles of design to create eye catching packages? Can you actually call the image on a box of oreos art? It's more like copywriting. What do you call a bazooka joe comic? You can make art within a commecial context, but if you let it get too commercial something does bleed from it. The sistine chapel is about as good as the avengers movies. Both are worthless in the eyes of grizzly man. Or pinocchio!

Subjectivity is most of what makes something worth discussing

The object is just an object, what matters is the feeling we get from it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hell ye'ah!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Glad it went well!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FunkyAl posted:

What is the function of art?

it's a machine for creating art-feeling

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheHan posted:

Tumblr displacing their entire userbase just means the Creative Convention subforum gets to scoop them all up am I right fellas.

:unsmith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Go for it! Probably worth starting its own thread.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They're both fairly fusty and over complicated sentences in English, without the attractively rumpy dump feel they have in German it seems to me. Try reading them aloud, I'd recommend simplifying them a bit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a line from a famous poem, "The fair breeze blew, the white foam flew, The furrow followed free ; We were the first that ever burst into that silent sea." that has a similar rhythm to your german original. It's poetry so you don't need to be that compressed, but try not to have multiple perspectives in a single sentence. You're getting the hang in your final version, "For hours on the dunes, we go up and down and up again, they seem repeating. And in my mind, the same thoughts come up, and down and up again." but it's an ugly sentence unfortunately (and 'they seem repeating' isn't correct, you'd probably just say 'over and over' or repetitiously').

My tweak of your last sentence - "For hours on the dunes, we go up and down and up again, over and over. And in my mind, over and over and up and down, the same thoughts come."

e: also if you want to get further into it then fiction advice or your own thread would probably be a better place, this is general arts chitchat

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I'm sorry to break the current ongoing conversation but I chewed on the function of art a bit and I wanted to add a couple of things as observations, if anyone is interested.

When I was a kid (80's-90's), the purpose and "job" of art was a conversation I had often (because I talked more with adults than other kids). Overwhelmingly, the idea back then was that art is a reflection of its time, but also serves an important purpose as the critic of said time. I think it might've had something to do with the way that Soviet propaganda art had influenced the art scene in Finland for so long, causing a backlash where the job of art then was to call authority into question. Rebellious art and rebelling through art was the duty of an artist. The ones with the power to visualize had to use that power to expose injustice within the system. Making fun of and revealing flaws in leaders after an authoritarian streak was new and exciting and comparably it's sorta hilarious that nowadays anyone can make one million peepee poopoo he's a bad president- memes like it ain't no thang. Back just before I was born though, making fun of someone as important as the president was just not ok and monocles were popped when someone dared to question the goodness of leaders.
Anyway, the biggest theme that I remember in art was essentially worrying about pollution, nuclear weapons and the greed of leaders, but with extra middle fingers pointed at them. That was what art was supposed to do, and it was good of artists and art to do that, to blatantly show opinion. I'm not sure if art did its job - swayed opinions - or if the opinionated art was reflecting the turning tide, but I remember a lot of things did change for the better.

Despite which, we're still worrying about pollution, nuclear weapons, and corporate greed instead of personal greed. This time around there's nothing rebellious about giving the finger to presidents, it's expected. Art looks for new things and new ways of looking at things, so the function can't now be the same as it was back then. But if you'd asked me 25 years ago, I would've known for sure what the function of art is.

The cultural critique has been turned round to an extent, it's people criticising art for not sufficiently reflecting the culture they want to see.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fauna posted:

i'm fat

cool

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tollymain posted:

shes right

Oh, granted

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Demons do not think much about our aesthetics to begin with. Just draw one gargantuan beast with boils and hair all over. THEN you put the bikini armour on them.

i desire to see this now, just the teeniest little bikini on a wallowing horned siege beast

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a hole-y ghost posted:

aw you gotta keep it low key now they'll know that avshalemon == avshalom

It was a deception of fiendish beauty but we were its equal

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

iirc the toads are poisonous, the dog may have tried to eat one

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This documentary is incredible

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

just try and draw a straight line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dumb stupid lines that are neither curved nor straight gently caress u dad these lines are amazing