Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there a thread to discuss AI generated or procedural art generation? I've heard that AI generated art is getting "scarrily good" and I figure it might help cut down my time spent crawling through pinterest (shudder) for references if I'm just able to specify a prompt and get something "kinda good enough" to present to an artist as a reference. But I dunno what apps are actually good, the two I randomly googled seem to take a while to output an image and still got something that looks like a biblical accurate representation of an angel. I.e something horrific to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's a freelancer thread I think as well you could try hitting up; also I've gotten plenty of artists via reddit, r/hungryartists and r/artcommissions!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Fanart or some sort of comic, or a prompt generator?

Or maybe see if there's like a online Drawful prompt generator and draw those but without the annoyance of the phone screen. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'd say one reason to maybe not pull down your public portfolio is maybe somewhere you apply might find it suspicious that you don't have a public portfolio with the years of activity you're claiming; maybe that makes them a place you didn't want to work for in the first place if they're going to hassle you with those sorts of questions but maybe its a consideration?

Also, perhaps more importantly, your professional pieces might serve as inspiration and reference for legitimate good faith human artists who take that inspiration and build off of it something amazing and that possibility is foreclosed forever if you pull your art from the internet. It's up to you but my suggestion is to put these two principles on balance and see which one feels more important.

I know as someone who commissions artists for OCs, concept art for my projects and D&D characters, I'd be completely lost without the literal treasure trove of art others have created before. There does not exist a single piece of art I own whose description document doesn't include at least some references drawn by others. I.e "Pose like this piece, a sword like in this one, elf ears like here, armour like here, proportions like this, expression like this..." Etc. A text description especially factoring in the sometimes multiple language barriers is woefully insufficient for getting what you want.

Personally in my experience as someone who commissions and has paid an embarrassing amount of money on them I honestly don't see AI being useful in the way most commissioners/clients might be tempted to think it useful, not in the long term anyways. It took me a while but eventually I learned I needed to spend more to get something that was more consistently what I wanted to save me money in the grand scheme of things (instead of spending 30$ five times trying to get an OC's design just right, spend 120$ to get it right immediately; boom saved 30$!).

The people using AI to avoid spending 30$ on a commission are not going to be happy with what they get if they have any taste or imagination; and the people wanting to avoid spending 500$ would be better served waiting patiently scrolling through twitter /r/hungryartists /r/starvingartists /r/artcommissions for affordable artists who have a style that matches their preferences.

But most importantly commissioning is to me a collaborative process and the best commissions are a result of the artist taking my ideas and feedback while putting their own spin on things, proposing their own ideas, and contributing about as equally to the final art piece; it's honestly such a magical feeling of pure serotonin for that to happen and I'm more than happy to pull out my wallet to engage in that give and take.

People who resort to AI are ultimately shooting themselves in the foot and denying themselves what to me is half of the entire point of commissioning art! Being able to TALK to someone about it and have them be like, "Omg so cool!" and validating(?) you.

Also having a second pair of eyes to act as a sort of editorial voice to put you in your place is also helpful, i.e the FFXIV tiktok: "Your clothes are unnecessarily complex and frustratingly vague!"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

a strange fowl posted:

i just hit an upload limit on artstation! will they let me upload more tomorrow, or am i limited to 5 projects?

What sort of art do you do? :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In todays "griping as a client" I am met with the dreaded "Let me know your needs and your budget!" in response to a email asking for their rates. :negative: I asked you first! I beg hypothetical artists open to commissions to state your prices somewhere upfront so I know if my budget is even wildly within your asking price. :shobon:

I decided to shoot my shot anyways as the art style is what I look for and I hope I didn't like hilariously low ball because I'm poor (relatively speaking).