Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Over in the Thunderdome thread (our local weekly competitive flash fiction group) we've been debating the usefulness of a Thunderdome tradition: the losertar. Each week, or at least most weeks, the people judging goon-submitted stories choose the one they thought was the worst, and that poster gets a cool new Mad Max-themed Thunderdome Loser avatar. They can change it back themselves if they want, or they can earn a new avatar through improving in the subsequent weeks.

We're trying to figure out whether this is worth keeping around, so I figured I'd ask here and in Fic Advice: Does anyone feel reluctant to participate in Thunderdome because of the threat of losing their avatar? The competitive nature of Thunderdome is something we want to preserve, and we know that's not for everyone so if that's the case for you, that's cool and valid. But if you're interested in participating, we don't want you to feel like you can't take part because it puts your avatar at risk. (We've also been considering having a Thunderdome gang tag with a 'loser' variant that gets swapped out, if that sounds more palatable than an avatar change.)

Djeser fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

All the artists I know despise NFTs, think everyone who wants to make one is an idiot libertarian who wants to destroy the environment, and barely understand how they work. I, an intrepid bitcoin thread poster, have had to explain to them numerous times how exactly NFTs are stupid, why they're not quite stupid in the way they think they are, and why they're more stupid than they thought in ways they haven't realized.

All you need to know as an artist is that with NFTs, either someone's paying you to make one, in which case they're the idiot and you should take their money and humiliate them afterward, or you're paying someone to make one, in which case they're hoping you're the idiot.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Considering that they're non-fungible tokens, they're really more like pogs than poker chips.

NFTs exist in this weird quantum space where they're simultaneously a new paradigm of digital ownership that's going to revolutionize the way people purchase digital goods, but also are meaningless and valueless and literally just tokens anyone can create.

The ad copy for NFTs claims the former, while the fine print claims the latter, likely because that specific language is what keeps NFTs from counting as pump and dump schemes. Instead, they're just a regular old bubble, and it's not a scam to speculate during a bubble. You can even make decent bank from speculation, as long as you're sure that you're going to find someone else to buy your pogs before the bubble pops and everyone realizes that pogs aren't actually worth something.

tldr: they are technically legal so if you think you're a finance genious then feel free to get into NFTs. i am sure the VC startups will be delighted to charge you service fees

Djeser fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 14, 2021

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

the ??? is airbrush van wizards

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

In linguistic terms, you can map out vowel sounds across different languages . (From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel)

Front/central/back is how far forward or back the tongue is, close/mid/open is how high the tongue is, and rounded versus unrounded is about the shape your lips make. I don't think there's a language that uses the entire set of possible vowels, that varies from language to language. (For example, here's the vowels that American English uses:

Since this is in IPA the two sounds you're looking for are i (close front unrounded) and u (close back rounded). Thing is, I don't think there's a way to produce "vowel sounds that go nice together" from these charts the same way you can with a color wheel. Maybe vowels that are in the same row or column,? But I don't recall seeing much talk about vowels that sound good when near each other.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It sounds like the terminology your poetry professors used might be a simplified version of linguistic phonology, that uses just the stuff that's relevant to English-language writing. Fricatives and plosives are categories of consonants in linguistics, while "liquids" aren't. (Not sure what exactly they map to but l like in "liquid" is an approximant, which is halfway between fricatives and vowels and also includes the starting sounds of "rest", "yes" and "west".)

Djeser fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Funny wildlife photos. Also, pictures of pro wrestling. You get practice drawing from life and the poses are more interesting than stock pose references.