Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
How do y'all feel about collages? I know they're a much maligned medium these days, but it's the only artistically creative thing I've been doing lately and dammit I wanna post about it. What I don't know is if it warrants a new thread or if I should just slam them in daily doodles.

If nothing else doing collages has gotten the creative juices flowing again so that's a win for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

sebmojo posted:

Do a thread! I'd like to see it.

Perhaps this time I will, since my poetry idea thing flamed out quicker than expected and the collage one seems to have some legs behind it. Just gotta get through the rest of the workday first. I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets art ideas at the day job where you're unable to do anything about them.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Jesus, I got waylaid tonight but the thread is made:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986030

Hopefully I didn't overthink the OP, my art history degree started spilling out there. Had to use it for something.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Or order some Chinese and use the fortune cookie slip as a prompt (I can't stand one/two word prompt personally, I need an esoteric sentence). I'd pull one out of my pile for you but I'm at work.

Sorta related I'm having problems trying to get myself to stop fixating on the commercial viability of my work, any tips to mitigate this? It's getting in the way of my creativity because I am worrying about reproducibility, sturdiness, and feasibility and keep hopping from idea to idea instead of trying them and just having fun with it/seeing where they lead in actuality.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Apparently bitching about it on the internet also works to some degree: I've decided to stop worrying about commercially sustainable sculpture and have been happily plotting out cross stitch patterns in photoshop for the past few hours instead, which also counts as a medium change. Off to find the pixel art megathread and eventually resurrect the embroidery thread once I have something to show.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There was this thread on the business side of art, but the last post is like a year old and I had to dig deep in my bookmarks to find it. Idk if some one more knowledgeable than me ought to relaunch the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I may be way off base, but my thought is: is it better for people to see and enjoy your art with the potential of it getting stolen, or to hide it away where no one looks at it? But I also don't make money from my artwork and am trying to get over my quirk of hoarding my physical pieces: I've found it difficult to even give away work to friends in the past.