Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Re: getting into art, I drew a bit when I was young, then my crippling lack of confidence in my teenage years put an end to it, and I didn't start again until I was about 25 as I started running out of patience with getting nothing done with my life. There was nothing forcing me to face up to my aversion to any risk or worry, so in the end I had to put on my big boy pants and do it myself. Not very well, but, you know, baby steps.

The most terrifying thing is seeing things I've drawn that felt like yesterday and the date is from two making GBS threads years ago. I can make an A3 page of sketches last two months. So my focus right now is putting pen to paper the instant I get home from work, no matter how little I actually do because that seems to help, and getting to bed on time to get the quality of rest that I pretty much haven't got since I was a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm quite happy to ignore weird fetish art, and sometimes quite like it if they make something funny out of it, Oglaf being a good example. I think the key is to go for absurdist or self deprecating humour; the worry is always that a person's weird interests are a sign of something weird deep down, so it's kind of comforting when they're cool about how bizarre their interests are.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I started a Patreon and I'm afraid it's gonna be another account for people to not follow.

Well they won't if you don't link to it! Spread it around, goon.

Re: colour, what are some good starter guides? Youtube would be best for me, but whatever works, as right now I'm still working entirely in black and white and I seem to have no eye whatsoever for judging and picking colour.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Digital, I guess, since that's the easiest option for me to play around with during lunch at work. I am just not up to speed on colour theory at all though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cool cool, I'll go grab myself some watercolours then.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All I know is that there are people out there who get real antsy about art-as-an-emotion, and the fact that art isn't a universal constant that you can use to brand things as Definitely Art™.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

6 hours sleep
8 hours work
12 hours inking
2 hours travel

Someone help me budget this, my brain is dying.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tumblr is kind of garbage for art anyway, what with its auto-resizing to 1280px, storing all of its images separate to the user's blog so you can't work out where an image came from with just the image URL, and not having a native option to just view an artist's own posts minus reblogs unless it is built into the theme.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Actual feet seem a lot tougher to draw than boots.

Actual feet are a lot more fun to draw though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The people are good, it's the building itself that is throwing everything off, particularly around the guy on the left where the two parts of the building seem to be two differently proportioned entities that are phasing into each other; you could probably leave the leftmost guy as he is and just redraw the leftmost building.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 3, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The starter exercises on http://drawabox.com/ are good for practicing straight lines, as well as the box drawing exercises after that. One solid afternoon should be enough to be able to eyeball a line straight enough to be getting on with.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mostly I just feel really lazy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dark Souls did zombies good; there's plenty of scope for interesting takes on people becoming mindless, violent husks of their former selves if you put your mind to it, but I guess it depends on whether the focus is on the zombies or the people caught in the middle of them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ArtStation is probably the best bet if you want somewhere respectable. DeviantArt is still fine if you just want a gallery without otherwise engaging with it. Otherwise Tumblr still works, other than crashing itself into the ground and never recovering.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know exactly what kind of child you are talking about, so congrats on painting a full picture without breaking the artist covenant.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Have we got a CG specific thread, or anyone who's good with Blender who could help me work out why the icing on my doughnut is just refusing to render?

I was really proud of myself for making a spoon - yes, a whole spoon - all by myself, but somehow I have made the icing invisible, but only when rendering, and Google hasn't helped so far.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thanks, I'll bookmark that thread; the solution was of course a checkbox buried somewhere that I can't see how or when it would've gotten unchecked, but it's all a learning process.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

An NFT gives you a link to a URL and nothing else. It doesn't confer ownership, and as soon as the URL goes down (which it will, even if in a matter of decades), then you've lost the file. Unless you back it up elsewhere, which defeats the purpose of the whole thing. Throwing a PSD in a password encrypted zip file gives you vastly more security and credible claim to ownership of the original piece than an NFT, all for a penny's worth of electricity.

There's more to it than that, but as with all crypto it's a bunch of sharks, grifters and money launderers funneling money at the expense of starry-eyed rubes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Honestly, Twitter. If the artists you already know are on there then they probably follow other artists, who follow other artists, and so on.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The mountain looks better in the first one but otherwise the second one, no question. The linework is simple (as in it's thin and consistent) so it lets a more complex colouring style stand out; the first one would work well with more complex linework, but as it is it looks a lot flatter and lacking in depth to me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pixiv allows it but has a toggle in settings to hide it. That assumes that people tag properly of course, but AI fuckers are nothing if not unreasonably proud of what they do and absolutely baffled that other people aren't, so it seems to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I would personally go the stamp route, you can get them made for not too much money then you can just stamp a bunch out in no time.