Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

TVsVeryOwn posted:

:wave:
I like to make computers go bleep blorp.
I'm trying to get into generative/performance visuals/VJing. I've got a copy of Resolume, an Akai MIDI Mix and no idea what I'm doing.

Hey - I make computers fart out pictures that move too! Rolling with TouchDesigner on PC and TouchViz for iOS. The latter works for experimentation really well, the former is a mess and hurts my brain..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I just met with another local VJ and I am very squee.

what are you using to mix video sources when you VJ?

I've been using TouchViz on iOS, a Critter & Guitari Videoscope and bits and pieces from Touchdesigner - but I'm not great at pulling it all together into something that isn't fiddly.. The elegant solutions (Resolume etc.) also seem to be the expensive ones..

(I'm on a low-spec laptop PC, comfortable switching it over to Linux if needed)

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

sebmojo posted:

We made some songs! This is me on cello, and an old school friend on the rest - fellow goon steeltoedsneakers does live glitch visuals when we play.

I also made y'all an album cover and made rumbly glitches for one of those tracks, young man.

But yes, this is a thing that I too have going right for me at the minute.

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

nankeen posted:

yes but there's basic rules of etiquette saying one must both receive and give!!!

writer circles have always been a problem for me for this reason lol

TD also helps you learn to be more assertive and direct in your critiques, if something doesn't work in the piece you don't need to point out the positives to be able to say why it doesn't work for you, and what you would have liked to see instead.

Not everyone needs to give a piece the full red pen treatment, but it's good practice to be able to narrow down and understand exactly why certain things don't work - you learn and they learn.

Plus because of the environment, the bluntness is expected so you have some leeway to find your inner critic's voice and the appropriate way to communicate it.

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

Antivehicular posted:

I've occasionally considered starting a lighter/more newbie-friendly version of Thunderdome for more novice (or more nervous) writers, so people who don't feel ready for TD could try out the format and build skills with their peers, along with learning to take and give honest criticism. (I've basically imagined the model being suggested for Artdome, where there'd be winners/HMs but no losers/DMs, to help make people who are nervous about shameatars or being publicly called out feel more comfortable.) I'm not sure we have the population to make it work, though, especially since a long-term goal would be for participants to "graduate" to competing in TD.

Could always run it as an intake - like a quarterly low stakes babydome to get folks up to speed and used to the format.

Because you wouldn't be running it as often you've got time to give the participants extra attention and proper crits - and you're moving them onto TD and growing that, rather than creating a sep writing event that runs parallel and needs just as much (if not more) pastoral care/maintenance.