Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Mod note

This isn't directed at Kanine or anyone else who's talked about the hideous political realities of the cursed hellscape in which we're currently condemned to trudge, but I'd really like this thread to be free of generalised grar.

Feel free to vent about crappy stuff that's happened to you personally, but unfortunately politics tends to consume all the available oxygen then send out for more.

I love this baby thread and all who post in it, and in my dreams it will be a chill place for arts chat.

I'm not desperate for a CC thread on politics stuff in the arts but if you want one then go for it (or use CSPAM/D&D, of course).

This is your forum, so fair enough, but I don't really see "don't treat women like poo poo in the creative industries" as particularly political. Ok that's all thaaaanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Anyway, in more useful news, all y'all who are struggling to emotionally come to terms with the art-making and art-learning process, I recommend the book Art and Fear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0961454733/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_FzpoBbARQMHCY

It's not a self help book and it won't erase slumps from your life completely but it has some invaluable observations and statements that changed my life as a student. Please do yourself a favor and check it out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

IK, I'm specifically gonna suggest you especially read that book I linked to. I'll buy you a copy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's a short read, actually! And I see you post not only here in CC but also in Games about how you seem to constantly be fighting this emotional battle between Dunning-Kruger and Imposter Syndrome and comparing to other artists etc. It's a thing we all do to some degree, but this book specifically was one of the things that helped me get away from that behavior being debilitating and preventing me from working.

Jus' sayin', I see you talking about it a lot is all. :shobon:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm happy Lasseter is gone given what we know about the environment he was cultivating at Pixar. There are sooo many amazing people there who are just waiting in the wings to tell good stories. Doctor will do well, I think (and hope). Lee over Disney Feature is a perfect choice as well.

Then again, I hate Cars and the whole Cars universe, and that was Lasseter's baby so maybe I'm biased.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

My hope is that Disney completely collapses in the next five to ten years and the people "waiting in the wings" realize that they could have just made their own poo poo the entire time, instead of spending fourteen years developing hyperrealistic water churning effects for a bugs life 2: flik's miserable

Need money to eat and live, etc. Also it turns out people who make water effects, for example, are FX artists who like being paid to make effects. :confused:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FunkyAl posted:

If like twenty disgruntled pixar employees saved and invested and pooled together a little money over a few years, they could leave and produce their own movie at their own studio, in some garage. Places like bisney/bixar are held together by the false contention that only they know how to make an animated movie, and that animating a movie requires constantly the most cutting-edge technology ("magic") and a huge isolating campus with eight million amenities. Its a lot riskier and theres no garuntee itll work or anyone will make money, but it seems like more fun to me than making increasingly bland cgi funventures for your two bosses, a rapist and an algorithm

I saw Sherlock Gnomes at the theater earlier this year, and the most impressive thing about it was the water effects. The rain, the churning, it was all really phenomenal. But obviously, the movie sucked, the photorealism didnt help it at all. Is there a point to spending so much time and money generating aesthetic effects that are functionally and creatively disconnected from the films purpose? Did the film ever have a purpose, besides that the first one was mildly successful and they could make another one? Does any big cgi film?

What is the purpose of the human creative impulse?

https://youtu.be/IYrySQsMjdE

Have you ever watched a moooonbeeammm

As it slid across your windowpaaane

Ehhhhhhhhh you're not wrong in general, but some people (A) like Disney and enjoy working for them and having benefits, (B) don't want to switch from having a well-paying job on comfortable campuses working on guaranteed high-profile high-budget projects with like-minded people and top-of-the-field artists and TDs to launching a business from the ground up, chasing funding, and pitching to an indifferent and over saturated audience. Most people who start their own teams end up doing everything EXCEPT producing art. Different strokes.

There are a LOT of artists who go through Dis who feel the way you do, certainly. They pretty quickly cycle out though. The ones who stay are generally the ones who like it.

There's PLENTY wrong with the Mouse (I worked for them for years and they shut my division down and laid us all off), but I don't blame people for wanting to work there.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 2, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fanart gets views and it's extremely hard to get anyone at all to care about OC, those are just facts. But you know what else is a fact? Tumblr is a terrible platform for art because reblogs don't push traffic back to your page, they just stay on the reblogger's page, which has 3 million other awesome reblogs so people just follow the reblogger.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I believe that most suffering artists were outliers who were great in spite of their suffering. I mean, life experiences certainly inform your art, so that bit holds, but having like an addiction or chronic illness is not conducive to shipping good work.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You have to pick one and develop the discipline to finish it. It's hard. You'll fail. That's OK; learning to make art is synonymous with learning to work.

Sometimes, though, you get a dozen hours in and you start to get a suspicion that it's not going to be worth finishing or it's not going to fulfill the requirements you had in mind when you picked that project over others. You'll have to learn how to recognize that and when to push through it and when to listen to it and kill the project in favor of spending that time on something else. That takes time and practice to learn too.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 8, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I didn't get into Vine videos until after it died, but man if it wasn't the perfect-cocktail incubator for absurdist humor and surrealism.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 10, 2018

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Try brush pens. The best inkers I've known have used brush pens and learned how to control line weight that way. It will be painful at first but if you keep with it you will get it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

avshalemon posted:

if my work doesn't get noticeably better from this point on, i'll have to admit to myself that i'm full of poo poo

Same but I'm in too deep so there's no turning back now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Art had subsisted on the patronage system for centuries and I'm very happy Patreon exists even with the commission it skims off the top. Users, customers, viewers, etc who think it'd e-begging or whatever can go soak their heads imo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think very often of multimedia CDROM softwares I used to get for my old Windows 3.11 machine way back when. MICROSOFT had a ton of just single-subject suites of like "Musical Instruments" or "Dinosaurs". I had a "The Way Things Work" CDROM. It was very very cool stuff, especially for me as a kid who wasn't allowed to have computer games but still spent hours at the computer clicking on things to see them animate or make noises and the like. Much the way I am planning to go back and make some vanilla Quake 2 deathmatch maps, I wouldn't mind working on such a project someday.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Generally, the communication of ideas and emotions.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This is likely because our brains are efficiency machines. We love patterns and iconography and symbols. I reckon that to memorize the complete data about any given object is much more resource intensive than memorizing a small list of earmark details and putting them away for later. When we see an object we just compare the reality to our shortcut list and find a match, and all of that actual data is there in real life for us to reference. Drawing produces the opposite task: produce all of that actual data yourself and THEN determine if it matches the shortcut data in our head and we're just not used to taking in or producing data in that way.

Edit: the short version is that you never actually learned what stuff actually looked like in the first place.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, the precision (as I'm sure you know) is in the recognizing, not in the moving of the hand. You've been practicing seeing all waking hours of your entire life, but you only practice drawing x minutes of the day etc. If you had been training your hands as long as you've been training your eyes you WOULD have that precision. :)

Also, as a result of 2D print and digital media we're all experts on translating a 2D image on paper/screen to 3D in our brains but NO ONE but artists have to learn how to do the opposite: translate a 3D irl object into 2D on a page.

In many ways as an artist you are wiring your brain to work in reverse!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Probably, but there is also a "questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

friendly 2 da void posted:

I would also love to know why so many talented graphic designers are so relentlessly self-hating of their profession on Twitter, but that might be outside the scope of this thread.

Impostor Syndrome is a real thing, particularly (in my observation) in the creative arts, but mixed in there is a healthy dose of weird cultural bullshit that's developed over the past few decades that's gumming up the works further. It is, generally speaking anyway, a bit of a contest among artists to see who can bottom out with self-loathing faster than all the others and insist that they are the Worst Artist In All The Land. It is a strange tendency and I try to call people on it, especially insofar as I teach some graduate-level art classes and those people are STILL coming to class and looking at the art of their peer next to them and declaring literally out loud for all to hear: "gently caress YOU, YOU'RE SO loving GOOD YOU PIECE OF poo poo" and I'm just like ":confused: No wonder you're in grad school instead of employed jesus christ"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Piss off an artist, agree with their whingy assessment of their own work.

You can do this with me live in 45 minutes when I participate in the new artistic terror of the modern age which is LIVESTREAMING your art. (3D environment art.)

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok, in that case, how do I draw clean curve lines?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My fetish is acquiring more fetishes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hi burning, I'm dad!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whatever tablet is gonna be fine. Skill makes up 96% of it all. Tools are tools.

Log off for a while. Flush your brain. Go on a walk and keep asking yourself what you want until you answer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

gently caress art school.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Don't be a creep in life drawing sessions.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I need more dumb Nintendo things in my life.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: Nevermind.

mutata fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 15, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm currently trudging through my own crisis of "I need to be doing more wtf is wrong with me" and sometimes the work that just helps individuals out and changes their life or gives them something they couldn't have or achieve otherwise is the most rewarding. It's certainly far from meaningless. That's pretty cool.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

nankeen posted:

...i just remembered i have the animator's survival kit in my bookshelf, i should probably start there

There's nothing in there on how to get a man, unfortunately.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ain't no such thing as an Ironic Nazi, no siree.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They are mostly standard sizes (the ones listed above are the most common) but just not equated with "paper size". The international version is better as usual, but we don't just make up new arbitrary sizes willy-nilly, we mostly just stick to the same 4 or 5 arbitrary sizes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

While I've been able to get by in my day job making art, when it comes to personal work I've been burned out completely for over a year now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I haven't come across a blanket term yet. It's most just called "low res" or "low poly" or "psx-style" or the like. There's subcategories of that era's looks, of course. You have the N64 soft/filtered/mushy style of texturing or the PS1/Metal Gear Solid style where the textures are literally pixel art and there's no filtering on the textures. Both are driven by extremely slim poly budgets though, obviously. Diffuse-only textures, trim sheets mixed with larger textures where you paint the floor of a whole room, etc.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I hear decent things about Omaha.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Artstation is the digital art portfolio of choice at the moment.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

With Twitter in the state it's in (and me having deleted that poo poo ages ago anyway), a few folks have trickled back to Tumblr. I've been looking at it as just a general posting place, but then I ask myself "what am I posting and why, though?" and I just end up doing nothing, lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, no problem. Making stuff takes enough effort and energy as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As a commercial artist, I don't see a practical reason to post my art online anymore. No one ever cares and all it does it get a few likes. If I need a new job, I can apply without a public portfolio. At this point, the assholes building the art grinders are happy to steal anything that's online and tell any non artist walking by that I'm just being a big baby. They're banking on artists being too scared to pull their art. gently caress that poo poo.

Sure, art would get stolen here and there, and it's always been obnoxious, but individuals had to perpetrate the crime knowingly and deliberately. Also it wasn't a huge trend to unapologetically steal people's art. Now it's a couple steps removes and people are stoked to do it. Different thing completely.