Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Vintersorg posted:

This is really good.

Anyone have a gif of that guy concussing himself?

In the pics thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Knowing nothing about football, shouldn't the goalkeeper "cheat" towards the side of the "wall" that the ball would have to come around? Or does the shot ever come from the other side?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

i only remember ronald being european champion, portugal are just his entourage

You remember poorly then, cause it was the entourage that won the final, after the assassin Payet, with the clear support from corrupt UEFA who wanted lame France to win, killed Big Ron.

But Payet and UEFA forgot, much like you, that it's teams that win games not individuals and Ronaldo despite being the best, is just one out of eleven.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Knowing nothing about football, shouldn't the goalkeeper "cheat" towards the side of the "wall" that the ball would have to come around? Or does the shot ever come from the other side?

Good players can put it on either side. He should've dove for it at least though.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Zwabu posted:

in the non-ronald world, the wall protects the nearside of the goal and the keeper protects the other side of the goal from, you know, the other guy who could take the free kick as an open shot at the exposed side of the goal

but you could make an argument that only ronald will in practice be allowed to touch the ball as he is the most important and special and also handsome

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Not that a keeper of De Gea's reputation shouldn't have done better and also dive for the ball even if he was late, BUT

The problem when trying to guard a free kick from that close from a player like him (especially him) is that if you try to risk it and antecipate your movement to the wall's side, and he hits it on your side of the goal (which he can do equally as well as shooting it over the wall), he puts such an absurd amount of power and angle on the ball that you will never be able to recover, step back to your side and reach the ball.

Most other players can't take the free kick as well and as strongly as him, so in those cases even if the keeper takes one or two wrong steps towards the wall, there's a little time to recover.

In short, it's a huge catch-22 for the keeper.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
might have had the game of the tournament on the first day. i jizzed not gonna lie

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Just to finish that talk, I found two examples of what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArI94Pmpudw&t=46s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArI94Pmpudw&t=62s

Pay attention to the keeper on both of 'em and notice that the moment they tried to "cheat" (as you say) and took a step towards the wall was the moment they put themselves in an impossible position to save the shot.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 15, 2018

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArI94Pmpudw&t=46s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArI94Pmpudw&t=62s

Pay attention to the keeper on both of 'em and notice that the moment they tried to "cheat" (as you say) and took a step towards the wall was the moment they put themselves in an impossible position to save the shot.

Thanks for this, a nice illustration of the principles involved.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Not that a keeper of De Gea's reputation shouldn't have done better and also dive for the ball even if he was late, BUT

The problem when trying to guard a free kick from that close from a player like him (especially him) is that if you try to risk it and antecipate your movement to the wall's side, and he hits it on your side of the goal (which he can do equally as well as shooting it over the wall), he puts such an absurd amount of power and angle on the ball that you will never be able to recover, step back to your side and reach the ball.

Most other players can't take the free kick as well and as strongly as him, so in those cases even if the keeper takes one or two wrong steps towards the wall, there's a little time to recover.

In short, it's a huge catch-22 for the keeper.

Wow thanks. Very fascinating. So this is how soccer works.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
im happy for ronaldo but not for all those others cunts tbh wont have a cry about it when we go out thats for sure

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

yeah how dare you try to answer a question from somebody who is interested in a sport and instead displeases a loving retarded piece of poo poo like you

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Settle down you dumb shitheads

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

fat greasy puto posted:

might have had the game of the tournament on the first day. i jizzed not gonna lie

hell, me too op. big ol mess in ronald's likeness

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Mean Bean Machine posted:

im happy for ronaldo but not for all those others cunts tbh wont have a cry about it when we go out thats for sure

Portugal are winning the whole thing

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I think we need World Cup Mods (tm)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Mystic Stylez posted:

yeah how dare you try to answer a question from somebody who is interested in a sport and instead displeases a loving retarded piece of poo poo like you

drat, buddy. Mad much? Enjoy your report. Ciao.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Zwabu posted:

He played the odds, cheated right and lost. His wall were on the left, the Portuguese were on his right and could have ducked if Ronnie sent the ball that way. I thought he should have planted dead center though. It was a brilliant kick, though, even if he's dead-center he probably doesn't get it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That FK was really loving good and the only thing De Gea really could have done was not trust his wall. That ball went around and over. It was really good.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Watched it in a pub with loads of Spaniards and Portuguese and it was loving great. What a loving great game of football.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

early contender for gif of the tournament

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mystic Stylez posted:

God drat, it's been ages since I saw that Roberto Carlos special (number 2) and it's still loving insane how much spin he gets on that ball.

E:

lol god drat, that's like the platonic ideal of a poo poo-eating grin.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Weaponized Cum posted:

I think we need World Cup Mods (tm)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Watched it in a pub with loads of Spaniards and Portuguese and it was loving great. What a loving great game of football.

I watched it at my gfs house with her Spanish dad and Portuguese mum

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Trusting you big didier
Wromg thread

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Big diddy ?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this was probably game of the tournament or at the very least, game of the group stage for sure.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Lol this video review system is poo poo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Aaron Mooy looks like an alien wearing human skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Come on Socceroos! :’(

• Locked thread