Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Hey all, its finally time for me to get a new phone and retire my Microsoft Lumia 950. As we all know the Windows 10 Mobile is the best operating system for phones, but since Microsoft is no longer doing new development for it its time 2 move on. This leaves me w/ 2 choices: apple or android. Apple and android are both worse operating systems than windows 10 mobile, but which one of them is better than the other?? Lets look at some comparisons:

Price: this is the same with maybe android being a little more expensive due to more premium features like higher res screens and more rams and cameras.
UI: this is also about the same. THey are both very bad, but bad in unique ways. with android it can get really really bad though because while both oses are Linux, android is more Linux.
apps: this is about the same but maybe android is a little better cause you can basically do whatever since theres no security.
security: both are not as good as windows 10 mobile, but apple has way better security than android which, following its Linux roots, has no security.
camera: android has better camera but apples camera is ok i guess.
screen: android has significantly better screen than apple which uses a low res screen called "retina" which is from about 7 years ago.
ports: android uses usbc which is the current standard for ports. apple uses lightning which is bad and means you need dongles for everything. apple doesn't have headphone ports which is retarded and I think androids are the same maybe? idk.
ram: android has more ram. apple has tiny ram. this is important because both use very bad web browsers which will eat all the ram.
compatibility: apple only works with apple and their desktop Linux distro: osx. android works with everything including windows 10 which is the best os on phone or desktop or laptop.

it seems like android is mostly better, if more expensive, but it has the worst security since its Linux. apple is worse in every way except for security.

Im leaning toward the apple just cause of the better security, but is there an android with good security out there? Android is better in general and im ok paying more for that better stuff if I can get it secure.

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

samsung galaxy note 8 with knox, op

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hey op, I didn't read any of that but you should get an iPhone SE

hth

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

apple is good and android is a piece of poo poo. knowing your tech opinions I'd say you'd be better served by android.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

hey op, I didn't read any of that but you should get an iPhone SE

hth

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

this kind of itemized breakdown, even as a joke, is a poor look and screams android so you’d prolly be best suited for that

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

apparently you can use edge and some other stuff to sync tabs and timeline stuff to win10 in ios now. i guess send to pc also has an app or share sheet thing?

idk but i guess icloud will sync with windows so theres that. google does too but they make and sell ads, so idk

honest comment onedrive is nice on ios and i think it also works with the files app now too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

OldAlias posted:

this kind of itemized breakdown, even as a joke, is a poor look and screams android so you’d prolly be best suited for that

ouch sorry op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OldAlias posted:

apple has gotten really bad in the last 5 years or so

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

apparently you can use edge and some other stuff to sync tabs and timeline stuff to win10 in ios now. i guess send to pc also has an app or share sheet thing?

idk but i guess icloud will sync with windows so theres that. google does too but they make and sell ads, so idk

honest comment onedrive is nice on ios and i think it also works with the files app now too

yeah I am hoping the windows phone sync thing works with ios, but idk if it will cuase apple doesn't want anyone doing anything useful with their stuff

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Second best mobile phone OS is Windows Phone (Best is WebOS)
Third best is iOS I guess because at least apple sells your data less than google
on the other hand they have lots of proprietary ports and lock down your phone
but at least the interface isn't a big mess

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

“lockdown” is good when the alternative is android. you can still do a fair amount on iOS as a developer, but you need a Mac

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Shaggar the answer (for you) is the Windows phone. the best OS _YOU_ can get is Windows Mobile OS!!!

close thread; have a nice weekend!

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
um maybe you should hold onto that winphone for a few more months idk just a thought

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

but is there an android with good security out there?

i think blackberry ships anroid with more security

or something

idk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
u kinda havent really told us what u do with your phone

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OldAlias posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

retarded

go gently caress yourself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

um maybe you should hold onto that winphone for a few more months idk just a thought

I was thinking about waiting until the 5g phones hit but idk if it matters

graph posted:

i think blackberry ships anroid with more security

or something

idk

yuck

echinopsis posted:

u kinda havent really told us what u do with your phone

normal stuff. phone calls apps texts etc... the win phone does everything but the apps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maybe the iphone 9 will be a good one and wont have a cheap looking screen

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

maybe the iphone 9 will be a good one and wont have a cheap looking screen

lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ios and android are now entirely interchangeable so pick whichever phone you like most

also gently caress off with the r word

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

quote:

screen: android has significantly better screen than apple which uses a low res screen called "retina" which is from about 7 years ago.

lmbo if your phone screen isn't 800dpi, i can see individual pixels from 10 feet away at 600

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah what am I thinking. they will probably cheap out again.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

I was thinking about waiting until the 5g phones hit but idk if it matters

yuck

normal stuff. phone calls apps texts etc... the win phone does everything but the apps

mate then andriod will frustrate you and apple will just make it easy

texts and a few comon apps.

what will the anroid customisation help?

and honestly the only comapny that gives a poo poo about privacy/security is crapple

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

you seem v interested in specs, so i think a oneplus phone would be a good choice since it has lots of rams!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
iPhone 8 has the best SOC there is

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

please trick Shaggar into getting an android, I want him to suffer

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

r u ready to WALK posted:

that's the idea, now he's got to narrow it down to an apple branded android or some other manufacturer

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

pity voting 1 the old yeller of threads

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

still the best calendar / todo combo

iOS and anroid devs in 2018 don’t understand days and time zones :qq:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Hed posted:

still the best calendar / todo combo

iOS and anroid devs in 2018 don’t understand days and time zones :qq:

same for app managers and webos, palm always figured poo poo out early and then just faded away in the noise each time

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

the new oneplus 6 is perfect for shaggar's needs. look at these specs:

cpu: 845 which is a big number, so must be good!
rams: lots!
camera: yep!
screen: big and big number resolution!

perfect for the maine republican shut-in lifestyle imo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

buy a flip phone op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

buy a flip phone op

my experience with android was so bad I went back to using a flip phone for a couple of years before seeing the light

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you get an iPhone then prepare to get osx which is the worst Linux operating system by far so I'd go for the one that works on your operating system aka window 10 even if you have to compromise a teeny bit on security

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Think about it. Worst phone security or worst workstation security. It has to be the phone op, it's unarguable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

there's no security compromises with the oneplus 6! all of your data is helpfully sent to china and securely saved there so you can be sure that no hackers can view your data!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Six inch phones are garbage. Only dumbasses carry six inches of bad phone in their pocket.

• Locked thread