Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AARO I asked you twice to explain why you like Cardano in your own words but you still haven't, it really seems like maybe you don't actually have your own opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

uncle jim on fox http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5799677012001/?playlist_id=3166411554001#sp=show-clips

SATELLITE NETWORK In partnership with Vector Space Systems (Vector), Nexus will provide global access to its digital currency and autonomous Internet infrastructure using Vector’s Galactic Sky software-defined platform in a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite network. Nexus intends to build both ground and space-based mesh networks to host a variety of distributed applications and services. This advanced technology will bring affordable access to a global information network for all. DISTRIBUTED HARDWARE Nexus will be launching blockchain into orbit, bringing the dream of total decentralization closer to reality. A Nexus satellite network will complement existing infrastructure, extending Nexus’s reach around the globe and will reduce reliance on centralized networks. With each satellite acting as a full node, it will incentivize individuals and organizations to participate and ultimately enabling a true decentralized infrastructure. APPLICATION PLATFORM Satellites will operate as nodes of the Nexus blockchain, forming part of the smart contract platform. A space-based platform offers greater redundancy and security for decentralized applications since satellites are resistant to regulation or control by government and corporate entities. Eventually, third-party applications can be hosted on satellites directly and take advantage of the Nexus network. This business model will support the sustainability of the network and provide satellite owners with additional revenue potential. OPEN INTERNET ACCESS The Nexus satellite network will aim to bridge the gap between existing networks and areas lacking infrastructure, by working to provide reliable and affordable Internet access around the world. Revenue generated by the network’s commercial applications and blockchain model will pay for the maintenance and operation of the network, lowering costs for the end user. Specialized ground stations will allow uncensored access to the satellite network and will be publicly available for purchase. VECTOR SPACE SYSTEMS Vector Space Systems is an innovative leader in the nanosatellite sector and was established to develop affordable launch capabilities and in-orbit platforms. Vector co-founder and CEO Jim Cantrell was part of the founding team of Elon Musk’s SpaceX as well as Moon Express, the first private company to attempt a moon landing. Larger companies like SpaceX focus on launching mid to large-size satellites into geosynchronous orbit (GEO), but Vector is providing affordable launches by engineering smaller reusable rockets. Nexus will purchase rockets and use the spare capacity of other launches when possible. Our partnership with Vector allows their clients to pay for launches using NXS. ORBITAL MESH NETWORK Nexus will lease satellites from Galactic Sky starting in 2018 at a discounted rate in return for testing the platform. These satellites will store blockchain signature data and will operate as full staking nodes, greatly enhancing the reliability and performance of the network. Over 2019, Nexus aims to deploy community-owned cubesats to create its own constellation. Once our hardware designs are finalized and open source, individuals will be able to add their own satellites to the network pool and profit from their space capacity. The constellation will also be available to other developers to host their own software applications and provide data storage. The Nexus orbital mesh network will consist of a range of cubesats from the sub-1U to the larger 3U satellites in LEO, each orbiting the Earth approximately every 90 minutes. Phillip Swazey who worked with Iridium, a satellite communication company that has a constellation of 72 satellites in GEO, is currently designing the preliminary 1U satellite for Phase 1 deployment. The orbital mesh network will be designed in two layers: a relay layer and an outer processing and storage layer. Initially, relay cubesats will symbiotically communicate with ground mesh hardware by hand radio frequencies UHF and VHF, which are much easier to obtain FCC licenses for, supplying adequate bandwidth to support transactions and other services. In the future Nexus cubesats will communicate on S-band, a wifi range that is capable of transferring much more data. GROUND MESH NETWORK By building a supporting ground mesh network, Nexus will create global coverage without having the latency issues experienced by most satellite providers. We estimate that a constellation of 300 cubesats will be required to provide full ground coverage. Nexus envisions thousands of cubesats in LEO by 2025. The ground-based mesh network will help scale and balance data transmission between ground and orbital nodes so that satellite access is not necessary at all times. Individually-owned client devices like cell phones and computers will connect to receiving devices such as satellite dishes which will communicate with the cubesats. This connectivity will increase speed and efficiency and create ad hoc networks that do not rely on gatekeeping hardware or a central access point such as a router, serving to make the Nexus network even more distributed. We are currently designing hardware and software for ground devices and once the designs are finalized, they will be open source.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 20, 2018

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

thinking of trading my Monero stack for NXS :hchatter:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

AARO posted:

This thread isn't really needed to be honest. The Bitcoin thread in GBS is fine for discussing altcoins.

Always a good sign when you think GBS is a better resource for evaluating your "investment" than BFC

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
do NOT listen to

An
Arrogant
Retard's
Opinion

it is NOT a good idea

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

omg this is so boring, my portfolio has been at the same value for weeks. Is crypto no longer volatile? I guess it's good for adoption

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 21, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ghosTTy posted:

omg this is so boring, my portfolio has been at the same value for weeks. Is crypto no longer volatile? I guess it's good for adoption

tag yourself - I'm the "in USD" dropdown selection

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1s3FTU03Y

not much going on these days, feeling pretty depressed. this is the most exciting crypto news story i could find today :smithfrog:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

ghosTTy posted:

number go (direction) soon imo

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

:unsmith:

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Hey GhosTTY, what do you think is good about IOTA? What do you, like, imagine that it will be used for eventually? Do you just like it as a speculative investment, like stock without a basis in law or regulation? Do you think it's good for, I dunno, transferring money cheaply? Is it insurance against global catastrophe for you? Is it good for building distributed apps? What are distributed apps good for?

I've done my research and I'm just unconvinced by any of those use cases. I think distributed apps are not going to be widely used, and I don't really like pure speculation. I love technology, and so it's really rare that someone's so excited about something new and I just don't get it at all. So I'd love to hear you explain what you think is good about it?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i'm done gently caress all of tihs. just sold everything. waiting for the real dip now

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ghosTTy posted:

i'm done gently caress all of tihs. just sold everything. waiting for the real dip now

Mods please make this the new thread title tia

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
IOTA is the best because it's 75% vowels, no other altcoin comes close.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Old Story posted:

I'm a rube with more cash than smarts and was thinking about buying say $1000 of various crypto whatever and then not looking at it for like 5 years.

I fully expect that I will lose all my money but it's not that much to me and it would be sort of a fun hail-mary. What should I buy and uhhh how, because I have never paid attention to any of this poo poo. Sorry for asking basic advice in what appears to be some sort of speculation thread.

donate your money to a charity of your choice.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
there's no fun in helping people!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Old Story posted:

there's no fun in helping people!

Who said it had to be a charity that helped people?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It took Ghostty finding out his altcoin of choice was directly linked to bitcoin prices to realize hes gonna lose big? :allears:

Like everyone says dont believe the techspeak and "words" all the altcoins that were supposed to be huge are crashing or were found to be useless in real world circumstances (IE Ripple).
Buy tether instead! Just get in now before the fed shuts it down and hodl as the price reaches .0000001 per coin!

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

iota at 97 cents, just untethered, increased stack by 20%. might go down a bit further but idc, fools game to try to time the perfect bottom. successful trading week :clint: :cool:

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://toshitimes.com/nobel-prize-winning-economist-robert-shiller-calls-bitcoin-a-social-movement/

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://ethereumworldnews.com/volkswagen-iota-employees-2018/ :blastu: nocoiners

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Do you ever provide info from legit sources that arent crypto sites? And actual reasons that iota is actually useful? Or understand the concept of concept cars?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Mainstream sites rarely report on altcoins because they have a bad rep, and they're mostly east coasters (where the fed is, coincidence??) so they're adamant nocoiners.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
:discourse:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ghosTTy posted:

Mainstream sites rarely report on altcoins because they have a bad rep, and they're mostly east coasters (where the fed is, coincidence??) so they're adamant nocoiners.

So no, then.

It’s almost like it’s an insular echo chamber that just slowly amplifies “to the moon” until your brain starts leaking out your ears in the form context free poo poo posts on a dead gay comedy forum.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

ghosTTy posted:

What in the gently caress are you even saying

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I pray to god it's a gimmick account.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I can't imagine putting that much work into a gimmick account but then again this is Something Awful dot com.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

ghosTTy posted:

lol

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I just realized this. The iota people don't understand how car salesman work. VW needs car sales due to the deasel scandal, just theention of "blockchain" made stock prices soar for awhile so why not make an announcement that sounds like they will. Alongside that while home office isn't going to even do much past a concept because they know it's just a fly by night thing people are going to the dealers and asking about it, where the salesman will say anything to make a sale.

It fits perfect with what Reddit is saying about dealerships getting packets about iota, they have no idea what any of it means but goddamn this morons talking about it and yep follow through make that sale.

The iota people literally don't understand car salesmen :rofl:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I honestly cannot figure out what VW AG's planned use case for IOTA actually is.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/1013101265474252800

So Iota is taking money from peoples wallets and making you reclaim them somehow and lmfao I cant say this with a straight face.

Ghostty so tell me IS THIS GOOD FOR IOTA?

TVC
May 10, 2018

by Lowtax
I thought that kind of thing was supposed to be impossible with Bitcoin. Decentralized money was the whole point.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

UCS Hellmaker posted:

https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/1013101265474252800

So Iota is taking money from peoples wallets and making you reclaim them somehow and lmfao I cant say this with a straight face.

Ghostty so tell me IS THIS GOOD FOR IOTA?

:pwn:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Let's talk about discrediting sources, like, say, oh I don't know, John McAfee has admitted to loving a humpback whale?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Let's talk about not discussing how your shill of choice is taking coins out of wallets so you have to "reclaim" them.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

it's not a big deal, they just brute forced some wallets with weak seeds to save the contents from any malicious actors. seems like a nice thing to do considering they weren't obligated to do this. not like they had a backdoor into wallets or anything like that stupid bitch would lead you to believe (she's working on a competing project, typical iota fud)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

it's fine, the police just broke into your house because your security wasn't up to code so some burglars couldn't break in later. they're gonna hold onto your stuff and make sure it's safe. it's not like they used a master key to gain entry. they just smashed a window that you didn't have bars over