Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Hey GhosTTY, what do you think is good about IOTA? What do you, like, imagine that it will be used for eventually? Do you just like it as a speculative investment, like stock without a basis in law or regulation? Do you think it's good for, I dunno, transferring money cheaply? Is it insurance against global catastrophe for you? Is it good for building distributed apps? What are distributed apps good for?

I've done my research and I'm just unconvinced by any of those use cases. I think distributed apps are not going to be widely used, and I don't really like pure speculation. I love technology, and so it's really rare that someone's so excited about something new and I just don't get it at all. So I'd love to hear you explain what you think is good about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

You see a lot of those technical-analysis-lite graphs in the cryptocurrency world. Funny how the front half of those graphs always match the current situation exactly, whether it's up, down, or stable... But no matter what's going on now, the back half is a straight line, up up up, infinite riches forever, starting any minute now.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

No, they're valid. Being in alpha doesn't grant immunity from criticism, in fact normally during alpha/beta testing you want criticism

I dunno. If these issues are insurmountable, then yeah, big problem, even if it's alpha software. I have no idea if it's patchable - it's a nasty bug to have a minority of nodes deny service to your whole network. If it's patched out in a later version, then it's only a big deal if you're relying on the system in its alpha state.

ooh geez I guess the owners of those 426,000 bitcoins worth of naked speculation might be upset though, dang

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

You look really stupid when you use slurs. "The people who broke my code are transgender" is a really dumb thing to say.