Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Guess I need to look up which units I've got to fill roles.

poo poo apparently Demon rain is 7*? Guess I'll need to wait until next year to get another copy of him

I assume you have the fan fest global exclusive UoC tickets that were just delivered? Demon Rain is claimable at the mog minister in the vortex if you choose to spend them on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

He isn't as good as the big 3 phys tanks but he's still pretty respectable if you don't need extra utility other than LB generation through crystals then he'll get the job done.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Out of Seaside Nichol, Malphasie, and Freyvia, which one of those units that I have 7* ready with the FF UoC should I bother pulling? I was thinking Freyvia because I've already got 7* Zarg and I've been meaning to replace my 6* Tidus chainer for awhile now, but Malphasie seems to be good at chaining too.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Not sure if anyone brought it up in here yet, but the free Katy unit takes less money and less exp to get to 7*.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Not sure if anyone brought it up in here yet, but the free Katy unit takes less money and less exp to get to 7*.

What’s the verdict on her so far? I’m not exactly expecting anything crazy with her being a freebie 7*.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Out of Seaside Nichol, Malphasie, and Freyvia, which one of those units that I have 7* ready with the FF UoC should I bother pulling? I was thinking Freyvia because I've already got 7* Zarg and I've been meaning to replace my 6* Tidus chainer for awhile now, but Malphasie seems to be good at chaining too.

Fry is stronger now than Malphasie is if all you want is raw damage. If you have a 7* Lloren then Malph is probably a better choice since you can AR chain with her freeing up space for a dedicated finisher. Malph will almost assuredly be stronger than Fry in the long run once she has enhancements since its almost guaranteed that she'll get the DW improvements that boost chain damage cap as well as boosts to modifiers.

Tornado is becoming a stronger pattern both in global and more recently in JP with new units getting improved tornado spells so she has growth potential in chain patterns as well.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Retro42 posted:

What’s the verdict on her so far? I’m not exactly expecting anything crazy with her being a freebie 7*.

She has an all allies MP restore/status heal and she has two moves that can Quake or Tornado chain, but she's nothing special really.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
she gives a 50% moogle too, the most valuable thing she offers

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I just got Lulu to 7 and haven't checked but is she still broken in that her big water attack spell can't finish off her own Flood chain? I seem to recall that was an issue with her. That and a lack of triple cast.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

This event is giving me serious choice paralysis, but since my main strong character is trance Terra, I will probably pick either Christine or grim Lord sakura.

Definitely holding on to the tickets for now.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Lotus Mage Fina isn't on the list of things I can use the Fan Fest tickets on, so I'm assuming some other tickets will be coming that I can spend on her.

Is Seaside Nichol the CG one?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Until I find out what White Knight Noel's 7* looks like, GLS is at the top of the list.

Could make a 2nd 7* Fryevia, or could look towards a Barby.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

One thing I didn't realize about that step-up is that all of the GLEX 3 and 4*s are in the pool as well. There's a couple cool TMs there but I guess it's not super reasonable to target them.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

Voodoo posted:

Obviously I'm in the "wait and see" camp for the Fiesta UoC, but are any of the units worth it just for their TMR?

I'm most likely going to pick Kryla for the big limited-7* energy, but I've been wondering this myself.

The TMRs I've been looking at are:
Aloha Laswell - 10% TDW + 45 atk (accessory)
Christine - 50 mag (accessory) if you are min-maxing a mage, +30 spr and counter-heal
WKN - 50 mag (accessory) if you are min-maxing a mage, +50 def
Dracu Laswell - 10% evade (clothes) for evade builds that can't wear light armor
Lucius - 30% atk w/ fist or clothes (materia) if Tifa is your waifu
Kryla - 25% all elemental resists + 15% spr and 1 auto-LB (materia)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Aloha lass tmr is going to be super power crept with the changes to TDW, I think one of the latest units in JP has an analogue to marshal gloves and CG Lightning has a 100% TDW materia. Kryla all elemental resist will always be useful though, specially when multiple elemental resists are going to be needed for tougher content

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!
I could use some Fan Select Ticket advice if that's cool. My current roster of fan select characters that are at 6* are Ellesperis, Chow, Barbariccia, Fryevia, and Olive. The obvious selection would be Chow, but I have 7* Beryl and 7* Wilhelm, so I feel pretty covered on the tank front. I've also got a 7* Malphasie, as well as Hyoh, Loren, and T.Terra (the gacha has been surprisingly good to me in the last couple months). Freyvia is very popular right now but I feel like Barbariccia is more useful to me as a magic chainer (esp. since I plan on going all in on Xenogears for Elly). Neither one of them is a seasonal exclusive so it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity. I don't have any plans on spending on either the fan select banner or christmas, since I'm stockpiling for Xeno, so I don't want to get white knight Noel, but a healer is the biggest hole in my composition right now (I have a 6* Rena and a 7* Yuna, and older stuff of little consequence). What's my best option here?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Robotic Accolade posted:

I could use some Fan Select Ticket advice if that's cool. My current roster of fan select characters that are at 6* are Ellesperis, Chow, Barbariccia, Fryevia, and Olive. The obvious selection would be Chow, but I have 7* Beryl and 7* Wilhelm, so I feel pretty covered on the tank front. I've also got a 7* Malphasie, as well as Hyoh, Loren, and T.Terra (the gacha has been surprisingly good to me in the last couple months). Freyvia is very popular right now but I feel like Barbariccia is more useful to me as a magic chainer (esp. since I plan on going all in on Xenogears for Elly). Neither one of them is a seasonal exclusive so it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity. I don't have any plans on spending on either the fan select banner or christmas, since I'm stockpiling for Xeno, so I don't want to get white knight Noel, but a healer is the biggest hole in my composition right now (I have a 6* Rena and a 7* Yuna, and older stuff of little consequence). What's my best option here?

Unless you have an urgent need, I'd say sit on the tickets for now. You have until Feb 1st I think to cash them in. Maybe gacha will give you a gift before then and save you the choice.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Consensus on Ellesperis is that she should be a hard pass. She cannot imbue an element and the katana elemental access is limited.

Using her 7* TMR trait completely locks her out of having an elemental weapon as it causes her to Become TDH/DH.

I think the big thing is to wait and see what these tons of tickets get us before ripping anything.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\/\ It's a good thing Gumi will never do anything to make her more attractive.

Retro42 posted:

LadyPictureShow posted:

She has an all allies MP restore/status heal and she has two moves that can Quake or Tornado chain, but she's nothing special really.

new kind of cat posted:

she gives a 50% moogle too, the most valuable thing she offers

Her strongest ability is to make veteran players look down their noses at her. It's super effective!:imunfunny:

For the newer folks: she's an evoker who is close in strength to Citra, has a skill Command - Bass Blast which Quake instead of Citra's Holy Mind skill which chains with Divine Ruination. There's also Command - Showtime which chains with Tornado but it's locked behind her cooldown ability.

As an evoker, she can use some skills to raise the evocation gauge, can use any Esper equipped to any of your party, can use part of the evocation gauge instead of mana for some of her skills. All her Command skills are dualcastable. She needs to focus on EVO damage, which is like hybrid damage but uses MAG/SPR instead of ATK/MAG, which means that like a hybrid damage character, you may need to get creative with gearing her.

Also has a little MP battery function, as well as some fire and healing magic.

She's good for Tornado and Quake chaining parties, as well as bosses which drain your mana, like the Global Exclusive ones Gumi seems to like throwing at us. Also good for any time you need to finish with a Summon.

Annath posted:

Lotus Mage Fina isn't on the list of things I can use the Fan Fest tickets on, so I'm assuming some other tickets will be coming that I can spend on her.

Is Seaside Nichol the CG one?

No. That's Maritime Strategist Nichol. Seaside Nichol isn't time-limited, so he's not a terrible choice... but I'm not sure how he stacks up exactly to Maritime Strategist Nichol off the top of my head.

See, guys? This is why we need to use real English words for things instead of shortened Japanese acronyms. Be the change you want to see in the world!

Mile'ionaha posted:

This event is giving me serious choice paralysis, but since my main strong character is trance Terra, I will probably pick either Christine or grim Lord sakura.

Definitely holding on to the tickets for now.

Or Beryl? They chain with Chaos Wave also at 7★. Unless you already have one of the first two.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 13, 2018

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Or Beryl? They chain with Chaos Wave also at 7★. Unless you already have one of the first two.

I ain't got poo poo.

Ok. Not entirely true, I have 1x D.Rain and 1x Kryla.

And one seaside Nichol

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

No. That's Maritime Strategist Nichol. Seaside Nichol isn't time-limited, so he's not a terrible choice... but I'm not sure how he stacks up exactly to Maritime Strategist Nichol off the top of my head.
Pretty poorly. He’s ok - does some defensive buffing. He’s half buffer and half magic dps and not amazing at either.

See, guys? This is why we need to use real English words for things instead of shortened Japanese acronyms. Be the change you want to see in the world!
No. :colbert:

It’s cg nichol and siegfart and you can’t tell me otherwise.

The other one is just hot pants nichol.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 13, 2018

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

For everyone considering Malphasie, don't forget that she has really good offensive breaks and buffs. One of her cooldowns is a 74% def/spr break combined with 10 limit stones to everyone, which is great for setting up turn 1 kills. Just use a cheap entruster.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hagie posted:

Until I find out what White Knight Noel's 7* looks like, GLS is at the top of the list.

Could make a 2nd 7* Fryevia, or could look towards a Barby.

WK Noels 7* looks like a big reindeer magitek mech with a guy who summons presents. i dont even understand what the question is

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was gonna do that Training of the Soul that uses the story units to get the items, but since you can ONLY use Rain/Fina/Lasswell, I'm assuming they need to be completely maxxed out in order to clear it, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CG isn't a shortened Japanese acronym though. It stands for Computer Generated, referring to the CG limit breaks those units have. It is still perfectly applicable to the global version of the game because the aspect of the unit it refers to is completely unchanged.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Zurai posted:

CG isn't a shortened Japanese acronym though. It stands for Computer Generated, referring to the CG limit breaks those units have. It is still perfectly applicable to the global version of the game because the aspect of the unit it refers to is completely unchanged.

Counterpoint:

There is no way in-game to tell which unit "CG X" refers to before acquiring the unit, and since there are multiple versions of many units, it would be much more useful to use their in-game name or an abbreviation thereof instead of "CG".

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

rabidsquid posted:

WK Noels 7* looks like a big reindeer magitek mech with a guy who summons presents. i dont even understand what the question is

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Annath posted:

I was gonna do that Training of the Soul that uses the story units to get the items, but since you can ONLY use Rain/Fina/Lasswell, I'm assuming they need to be completely maxxed out in order to clear it, right?

Max out Rain and Sakura and they will carry them. Rain breaks and Sakura blows stuff up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Annath posted:

Counterpoint:

There is no way in-game to tell which unit "CG X" refers to before acquiring the unit, and since there are multiple versions of many units, it would be much more useful to use their in-game name or an abbreviation thereof instead of "CG".

There are so many versions of each character than trying to name them by their "proper" name is both long and stupid. Its easier to call them Nic/CG Nic/Summer Nic.

If they make s3 characters (which they will) then we are going to have to start calling the CG story characters S2 and S3 instead

like when the new 5* FF heroes start coming out are we going to have to call the new Lightning, Blinding Light Lightning or CG Lightning

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Beach scarf Nichols the proper name for summer Nichol.

His TMR, a Pina colada, is pretty darn good too.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I keep messing up the Rat part on the bonus stage. I get you need somebody with a bunch of elemental resists, but what skill is it? AoE magic cover, AoE physical cover, ST cover, depends on the turn?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

KDdidit posted:

I keep messing up the Rat part on the bonus stage. I get you need somebody with a bunch of elemental resists, but what skill is it? AoE magic cover, AoE physical cover, ST cover, depends on the turn?

100% all elemental resist on a provoker for that fight. I also used an evasion physical cover tank on top of that. I think the rat elemental attacks are single target magical attacks.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The rat minion's attacks are a fixed attack fixed elemental damage attack. Fixed attacks can't be covered so that's why you need a provoker. Fixed damage can be reduced with elemental resistances and general mitigation, but it's easier just to hit 100% elemental resistance to all elements. Calamity Border from the Iron Giant trial is real good if you can't hit 100% elemental resist without buffs since it gives +40% to all elements for 2 turns.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mustached Demon posted:

Beach scarf Nichols the proper name for summer Nichol.

His TMR, a Pina colada, is pretty darn good too.

Awful unit though, I didn't look too hard at him when he first dropped but since I just pulled two I check out his wiki page. Not giving him offensive buffs and making him into an awful magic caster. Garbage. Maybe they can save him with enhancements....

That tmr though, sorry Onion Knight plushie. Lulu you got power creeped hard.

KDdidit posted:

ST/Provoke MAG tank with all elements resist 100%.
And AOE physical evasion cover tank.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 13, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

my m ramza is 100% to all resists and immune to status and blah blah and whatever, would anyone find that useful as a friend unit atm

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

I was meaning his abilities

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What are people's (non-whale) spending strategies? I've only been playing for like a month, but drat if I'm not jealous of people pulling all these 7*'s while I'm still using a team comprised of whatever 5*'s I pulled and like, Ashe. Do you do the daily 250 lapis pull or do you just save up for the step ups on banners you care about?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

What are people's (non-whale) spending strategies? I've only been playing for like a month, but drat if I'm not jealous of people pulling all these 7*'s while I'm still using a team comprised of whatever 5*'s I pulled and like, Ashe. Do you do the daily 250 lapis pull or do you just save up for the step ups on banners you care about?

Save lapis and tickets for a banner with 2 good rainbows on it with a decent to good step up, and then swing for the fences, basically. If you have enough resources, the global exclusive banner right now is really good, it has a lot of rainbows, but they're all good, and you can match the best thing you get via the tickets, if you don't get/have a dupe.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

rabidsquid posted:

my m ramza is 100% to all resists and immune to status and blah blah and whatever, would anyone find that useful as a friend unit atm

I think a good tank is always useful. After Akademia, I’ll probably put up a 100% draw/dodge Siggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

If haven't been turned off by some of Gumi's business practices, buy the Fountain of Lapis when it is offered. It's $7 US and it is the best value if you are willing to spend money but not whale out.

For spending lapis to pull, save up and mainly do it on step-up banners, especially for roles you don't have. For example, if you don't have a 7* physical cover tank, spend 11K lapis on the Sieghard step-up. A full cycle on any step-up banner gives a higher chance of getting 5* units (both on- and off-banner) per lapis spent, and at this point you're just trying to get any 5* units so you can make 7*s in the future.