Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
just wanted to say it. i love it when the main character doesnt talk at all. doesnt it just feel like they have more weight to their actions and little details in their demeanor and stuff when they dont speak ? i like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I do as well. Not my favorite necessarily since I like dialog options but it's nice to not have to realize I'm playing as a huge douchebag.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

actions speak louder than words, nothing says this more than the contrast between duke nukem and gordon freeman

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Hell, I like protagonists you don't even know what they look like. The ultimate avatar

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

Hell, I like protagonists you don't even know what they look like. The ultimate avatar

dead space 1 had a silent masked protag and it really lended a lot to the immersion, which is, yknow, kind of important in a horror game. in 2 he has the face of some guy and likes to talk a lot of bullshit and i dont think a single person liked that change

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I like wizardry where the characters are never shown! I am the character and I'm throwing spells!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like how in DDS you have a largely silent protagonist with a handful of dialogue options across both games but he's also supposed to be like a tribal president. So in the first game people are all asking for guidance on Day-to-day trivialities and he gives them a icy stare and they nod and say Thank You.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the only thing better than a silent protagonist is a voiced character that I really enjoy playing as but there's only like three of those in videogaming

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Voiced FPS protagonists can only work when the game director gets a voice actor and a team of writers who understand the tone of the game and play to its strengths. JC Denton and Garrett are like the only time this worked. Otherwise silent protags are always best.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Demon souls protag is badass.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Voiced FPS protagonists can only work when the game director gets a voice actor and a team of writers who understand the tone of the game and play to its strengths. JC Denton and Garrett are like the only time this worked. Otherwise silent protags are always best.

With Denton you get a lot of scenes outside of first person establishing who he is, which helps make a voiced fps work. Without that kinda stuff it's really unnerving.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

an actual dog posted:

With Denton you get a lot of scenes outside of first person establishing who he is, which helps make a voiced fps work. Without that kinda stuff it's really unnerving.

Cyberpunk 2077 will switch to third person for conversations too which is a smart move but unfortunately means it will never be art because it's not All In One Take

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Morriwind changed my mind and taught me I wish more games would go back to all text but Zelda colored style so you can skim it if you want or don’t have to look in a Lore Codex necessarily cuz of the lovely abridged nature of voice acting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I turn off voice acting in games with text boxes.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I really liked Morrowind's dialogue style. That + zelda = epic dialogue heroes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

I turn off voice acting in games with text boxes.

I dont have the patience to listen to vo if I've read it already so I like games that let me skip

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

extremebuff posted:

dead space 1 had a silent masked protag and it really lended a lot to the immersion, which is, yknow, kind of important in a horror game. in 2 he has the face of some guy and likes to talk a lot of bullshit and i dont think a single person liked that change

Mostly true but I liked stomping on necro bastards and my guy being like "MOTHER. FUCKER."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some great silent protagonists:

1) Claude Speed
2) Crono
3) Myst's "The Stranger."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fallout 4 should have gone silent protag so that my Daniel Plainview character didn't yell "Seems to be growing well!" twenty times in a nerd dad voice every tme he stole corn from his own settlements to make tape.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I prefer a silent protag over some mouthy shitheel voiced by one of two voice actors who get work

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Fallout 4 should have gone silent protag so that my Daniel Plainview character didn't yell "Seems to be growing well!" twenty times in a nerd dad voice every tme he stole corn from his own settlements to make tape.

Though in fairness, I can imagine Daniel Plainview yelling that about a oil rig.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I drink your NukaCola

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Though in fairness, I can imagine Daniel Plainview yelling that about a oil rig.

I wanted to imagine him saying "I've abandoned my child!" and "as you know, I'm an oil man," in a Daniel Day Lewis voice, but there was no way to turn off the nerd dad guy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Daniel Day Lewis going full method for six months to voice some lovely Bioware protagonist would own IMO.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There was a time I was really good at saying my own name in the Daniel Plainview voice. Ah well... Like the haunting call of the loon... these things fade with time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Daniel Day Lewis going full method for six months to voice some lovely Bioware protagonist would own IMO.

The Squaresoft localization team eating 100s of incredibly well-prepared meals for every time DDL has to practice say "That's it! I've discovered a new recipe!"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wormskull posted:

There was a time I was really good at saying my own name in the Daniel Plainview voice. Ah well... Like the haunting call of the loon... these things fade with time.

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wormskull posted:

Ah... the days of my youth... like the scent of fresh lemon...

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
doomguy doesn't say anything
or claude from grand theft auto 3

what about silent protagonists, like the Penetrator from Demons Souls? he just murders a royal in front of you to let you know what he's about.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Master Chief/ODST Squad/ReachGuy worked well enough in Halos 1,2,3, ODST and Reach.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

doomguy doesn't say anything
or claude from grand theft auto 3

what about silent protagonists, like the Penetrator from Demons Souls? he just murders a royal in front of you to let you know what he's about.

Do you mean silent antagonist. Bc that can be cool too, even if it's pretty rare

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SA-X is the most terrifying enemy in history and she says less than Samus in that game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i can't think of a ton of silent antagonists but there are lots who are like "he's been driven mad... but his own anger!!" where they just yell a few words.

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

I like wizardry where the characters are never shown! I am the character and I'm throwing spells!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

i can't think of a ton of silent antagonists but there are lots who are like "he's been driven mad... but his own anger!!" where they just yell a few words.

Plenty in Dark Souls . I don't think Gwyn ever speaks does he?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Reminds me of the Fallout Behind The Scenes video where Ron Perlman could not be more clearly bullshitting it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKw0l41eDY&t=29s

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Reminds me of the Fallout Behind The Scenes video where Ron Perlman could not be more clearly bullshitting it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shKw0l41eDY&t=29s

I think Christopher Plummer may actually have recorded his Skyrim lines in his sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Frond posted:

Master Chief/ODST Squad/ReachGuy worked well enough in Halos 1,2,3, ODST and Reach.

ODST rookie was a good silent protagonist. The reach guy is basically silent aside from 3 sentences or whatever so he is basically silent too.

• Locked thread