Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

1234567890num posted:

In other words, it's apparently THE color in Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney.

Why did you have to remind me? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why did you have to remind me? :argh:

Because that is an astoundingly stupid twist and I don't want anyone to forget that :colbert:

At least it's not worse than most other Professor Layton games. Or KH DDD.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 11, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Here's our final Organization member: Saix. If Larxene is great because she's an rear end in a top hat, Saix is bad because he's an rear end in a top hat. He's just not a fun kind of rear end in a top hat.

His claymores are visible here, but it's blocked by his body. Which is why we're going to have to look at it from behind.

None: New Moon

The developers actually bothered to make the weapons look different when Saix is in berserk mode (read: Limit Break). :effortless:

Skill Gear: Werewolf
Technical Gear: Artemis
Duel Gear: Luminary
(Transforms your weapon into one with higher Strength.)

Most of the redesigns are just minor additions.

Loaded Gear: Selene
Chrono Gear: Moonrise
Phantom Gear: Astrologia
(Transforms your weapon and allows you to string together faster, longer ground combos.)

But some of them accentuates the weapon's properties. Like adding the spikes in Chrono Gear and making Phantom Gear more spiky.

Lift Gear: Crater
Nimble Gear: Lunar Phase
(Transforms your weapon and boosts your Magic to give it a lot more power.)

And I appreciate that the redesign's color scheme actually matches the weapon's instead of just a flat white or something.

Wild Gear: Crescent
Ominous Gear: Gibbous
(Transforms your weapon into one that performs very well in midair.)

I hope you spot the naming theme for Saix's weapon. It's not subtle at all.

Valor Gear: Berserker
Fearless: Twilight
Prestige Gear: Queen of the Night
(Transforms your weapon, enabling your attacks to reach a wide area.)

We had New Moon and now Twilight. What next? Eclipse?

Crisis Gear: Balsamic Moon
Omega Gear: Orbit
(Transforms your weapon and provides versatility by boosting both Strength and Magic.)

Spoiler: Saix surprisingly doesn't get Eclipse. Lunar Eclipse and Total Eclipse have been taken by Roxas.

Hazard Gear: Light Year
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and combo reach.)

The redesigned version looks like whatever you call the thing used to fan the emperor. I don't think it's actually called a fan.

Rage Gear: King of the Night
(Transforms your weapon and lets you perform longer aerial combos with wider reach.)

We had Queen of the Night in Prestige Gear. I don't know why they're separated like this.

Champion Gear: Moonset
Ultimate Gear: Horoscope
(Transforms your weapon into one that offers high Strength and ground combo speed.)

I like that in KH3 Roxas can basically solo the fight against Saix, which lines up with this game.

Pandora's Gear: Dichotomy

This one kinda breaks the naming theme.

Zero Gear: Lunatic

:rimshot:

Casual Gear: Just Desserts
Mystery Gear: Bunnymoon

https://youtu.be/BWFGh58lBtQ?t=36

Saix's Limit is another straightforward one. He goes berserk and we just have to press A to make him jump and create an explosion, with a bigger explosion in the second half.

However, Saix will automatically move forward, attacking everything in his path. It's very hard to turn while he's moving, so the best way to change direction is by jumping.

I actually didn't realize Saix's weapons change form until I played this game even though it can be seen in KH2.

Pictured: Saix's reaction to pretty much everything that happened in this game.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 20, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Broken spoiler, there.

And maybe they were going for the moon being a dichotomy between light and dark, or day and night, or something?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Holy poo poo, I never realized Saïx had such a massive ridiculous anime sword arsenal. I respect that.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I 100% cleared Mission Mode with Saïx. (Outside of taking a magic specced character for Emerald Serenade missions)

I just geared him for full crit chance and laughed as he knocked off a bar of HP or more in a single combo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't know, I'd say that while Larxene and Saix are both dicks, they're both the same kind: the kind that's fun to hate.

It's just that while Larxene has some charisma due to snarking at Sora being stupid ("Even if my promise to Namine is fake, I'm still going to defend that promise to the death!"), Saix is just such an utter bastard that he winds up being memorable for it.

Also, good Lord, those are some ridiculously anime weapons. Aside from the angry banana. :allears:

I'm assuming Bunnymoon is probably a Sailor Moon joke, given the lead character was named Usagi.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 19, 2019

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm assuming Bunnymoon is probably a Sailor Moon joke, given the lead character was named Usagi.

Goes a bit further than that. Where Europe generally saw a man in the shape of the moon's craters, Japan saw a rabbit.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

BisbyWorl posted:

I 100% cleared Mission Mode with Saïx. (Outside of taking a magic specced character for Emerald Serenade missions)

I just geared him for full crit chance and laughed as he knocked off a bar of HP or more in a single combo.

Yes, Saix is also pretty ridiculous. I just usually use Lexaeus because his combo is shorter, so I can get to the finisher faster even with his slow combo speed. Saix is better for mob fights.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know, I'd say that while Larxene and Saix are both dicks, they're both the same kind: the kind that's fun to hate.

It's just that while Larxene has some charisma due to snarking at Sora being stupid ("Even if my promise to Namine is fake, I'm still going to defend that promise to the death!"), Saix is just such an utter bastard that he winds up being memorable for it.

For me, it's because of their voices. Larxene has the most mocking tone imaginable, which is just fun to hear. Saix pretty much just has just a monotone voice. His dickishness is memorable, sure, but it's not really fun to watch.

Mister Olympus posted:

Goes a bit further than that. Where Europe generally saw a man in the shape of the moon's craters, Japan saw a rabbit.

I'm pretty sure China and Korea saw rabbits too. Sailor Moon probably names Usagi based on this myth.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Her name is literally Rabbit Moon (Usagi Tsukino) so yeah, that was the inspiration for it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
As for that spoilered comment, it's not can, it's will. The first character stops taking damage after a certain point, so you can stay back and watch the most one-sided battle in the history of the franchise go down.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

berryjon posted:

As for that spoilered comment, it's not can, it's will. The first character stops taking damage after a certain point, so you can stay back and watch the most one-sided battle in the history of the franchise go down.

Really? That makes the whole event even more hilarious :roflolmao:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Remember when Lexaeus punched Roxas in the gut? Good times...

Today we're going to talk about a mechanic unique to this game: Limit Breaks. I'm not going to explain how it works, since we've seen it plenty of times already.

Instead, we're going to take a look at all of them again. I've shown off the members' in their respective weapon exhibition, but there's also some we haven't seen yet.

Roxas: Event Horizon

Do you know that every Limit Break actually has a name? Apparently Ultimania gave them all a name.

The Limit Break we have for the main game is the most basic. Just press A to attack. I think this is a good decision because it's pretty much impossible to figure out the obscure ones without a guide.

Anyway, this one is better for mobs than it is for single enemies. But it's still strong enough to be worth using against bosses.

Vexen: Diamond Dust
Axel: Explosion
Larxene: Voltic Rush
Riku: Darkstrom
Donald: Fantasia

These Limits are also as basic as they get. Just mash A to deal damage. I haven't covered the non-Organization members yet, but they're not that different.

Vexen and Axel can hit far enemies while Larxene, Riku and Donald can only hit enemies near them. Donald's second half has a very short attack time, so we pretty much have to buttonmash to keep attacking.

For some reason Riku doesn't use Dark Aura as his Limit Break even though I could've sworn he does. And Vexen's Diamond Dust is completely different from CoM.

Xemnas: All-Vanity
Xaldin: Dragoon Storm
Saix: Berserk

These Limits attacks enemies just by us being near them, but by pressing A we can do a special effect to deal more damage (except Xemnas', where pressing A does nothing).

The only one of the three who can jump during the full Limit here is Saix. Xaldin can only jump during the second half and Xemnas is too lazy to jump :effort:

Come to think of it, I don't think Xemnas ever jump during any of his fights. He pretty much always teleports.

Xigbar: Critical Snipe
Zexion: Meteor Mirage
Dual-wielding Roxas: Magic Hour

These limits locks us in place once started, but we can pause by pressing B and continuing by pressing A. Note that the bar will continue while it's paused.

Like I said before, we have to aim Xigbar's Limit manually and he can't hit aerial enemies, which makes this Limit very bad.

It's still better than the other two here, though. The other two are pretty much useless. Sure looks cool, though.

Lexaeus: Ayers Rock
Goofy: Teamwork
Mickey: Holy

These Limits lets us hold A to charge and create a larger attack. You don't HAVE to, but it's worth it. For all of these, we can charge one level for the first half and two levels for the second.

Apparently Goofy can just launch himself. Somehow.

Luxord: Jackpot
Demyx: Wave Gigs

These two Limit are the ones with intricate mechanic. I don't think anyone will be able to figure out how to use Demyx's without using a guide.

I'm still disappointed about water clones not appearing in this game. I already said about being disappointed with Demyx's fight in KH3, Luxord's is also disappointing. I mean, he is MUCH easier to cheese here.

Marluxia: Bloom-Out
Sora: Ragnarok

I'll be honest here: I have no idea how their Limits work. It's supposed to be like Lexaeus' in that it has multiple power levels instead we press A twice instead of holding and releasing. Except the result I get is always the same no matter the timing.

Sora's Limit is just like Ragnarok in other games but wimpier. This game's pseudo final boss does it better :colbert:. And the second half only shoots straight ahead.

And that's all 19 Limits. I think they're a great addition to the game it's a shame they're never brought back in the other games.

Fine, here's the mysterious girl's Limit Break. Everything about it is the same as Roxas' single-wielding version.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Remember when Lexaeus punched Roxas in the gut? Good times...

That looks more like he's being backhanded across the face!

I do like how Lexaeus' thing is brutalizing children, though. It almost distracts me from the fact that his title makes no sense (until the lowkey change made to it in 1.5).

1234567890num posted:

(except Xemnas', where pressing A does nothing).

Well, Xemnas' power is over nothingness, so technically wouldn't doing nothing be :suicide:

1234567890num posted:

Come to think of it, I don't think Xemnas ever jump during any of his fights. He pretty much always teleports.

There's at least one time.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 22, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That looks more like he's being backhanded across the face!

I do like how Lexaeus' thing is brutalizing children, though. It almost distracts me from the fact that his title makes no sense (until the lowkey change made to it in 1.5).

Well, Xemnas' power is over nothingness, so technically wouldn't doing nothing be :suicide:

There's at least one time.

So the title is why he never talks in KH3! It all makes sense now! :v:

The pun is bad and you should be ashamed :colbert: (I wished I'd thought of that)

The one time doesn't count. It's more like a plunge or dive instead of a jump.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Well, we covered all of the Organization members. Now we're going to go over the rest in one update.

First up is Xion. I still don't know what her deal is, beside appearing in DDD for like two seconds.

Anyway, her weapon is pretty much exactly the same as Roxas'. The only difference is that she didn't get to dual-wield Oathkeeper and Oblivion. She gets Kingdom Key+, just like Roxas in other modes.

She can still wield Oathkeeper, just like Roxas. Also just like Roxas, she can't wield Oblivion, though.

Default: Soul Eater (A sword that swims with darkness. Possesses high Strength.)
Pandora's Gear: Oblivion (A Keyblade as black as darkness. Boasts superior Strength and Magic.)
Zero Gear: Way to the Dawn (Riku's Keyblade. Boasts superior Strength and Magic.)

Speaking of Oblivion, apparently Riku can wield it. I checked; his combo is different with the one from his fight.

Riku has the 'honor' of not having any innate resistances while everyone else in this update have innate light resistance. Why they didn't just give Riku darkness resistance and make a new Blind status effect is beyond me.

Default: Knight's Shield (A shield that befits someone kind and chivalrous.)
Pandora's Gear: Frozen Pride (An extremely capable weapon that brims with Magic and the power of ice.)
Zero Gear: Dream Shield (A shield whose strength is kindness: the desire to help one's friends.)

I only showed 3 weapons for each character here because...well...that's all they have. They only have one weapon for Zero Gear, one for Pandora's Gear/Pandora's Gear+, and one for the rest. So no joke weapons in this update, sadly.

Worth noting is that each weapon actually have their own description, not just which stats are boosted like for the members.

Default: Mage's Staff (A staff that belongs in the hands of a real wizard.)
Pandora's Gear: Centurion (An extremely capable weapon with the strength to smash through boulders.)
Zero Gear: Dream Rod (A staff whose strength is spirit: power the eye cannot see.)

I believe Centurion can break boulders if Lexaeus is the one wielding them. I don't think Donald can even break a Shadow.

Anyway, the gears beside Pandora's Gear and Zero Gear all give the default weapon. They just give different tiers of the default weapon.

Omega Gear, Champion Gear, Ultimate Gear, and their + versions give the ++ weapon, in this case Mage's Staff++. Duel Gear++ (not the others), Crisis Gear, Rage Gear, and their + versions give the + weapons, in this case Mage's Staff+. The rest just gives the default lowest tier.

Default: Kingdom Key D (The King's Keyblade. The dark side of the Kingdom Key.)
Pandora's Gear: Star Seeker (A weapon that makes it easier to stay on enemies during aerial combos.)
Zero Gear: Kingdom Key DΩ (The TRUE ultimate Kingdom Key D. Possesses excellent capabilities.)

Yes, Kingdom Key D and DΩ is pretty much the same. It would've been neat if Kingdom Key W was used here, but I guess they didn't think Mickey would change his Keyblade.

I still think it's very stupid how Keyblades can just be broken very easily in KH3. And how they can just go ask Yen Sid for new Keyblades. Even if it's justifiable because we didn't see the Realm of Darkness much, it's still stupid.

Default: Kingdom Key (The most basic of Keyblades.)
Pandora's Gear: Bond of Flame (An extremely capable weapon that is replete with the power of fire.)
Zero Gear: Dream Sword (A sword whose strength is courage: the will to stand against anything.)

It's less of the will to stand against anything and more the will to not really give a gently caress about most things. It's honestly the best thing you can do in Kingdom Hearts.

I appreciate that all Pandora's Gear weapons in this update are taken from KH2 and the rest from KH1.

I'm surprised that Xion and Sora's pose is different from Roxas since everything else about Xion is the same as Roxas and Roxas is supposed to be Sora's clone. That's the benefit of having multiple victory poses in KH1, I guess.

I like Goofy's victory 'pose' the best :3:

I like Donald's withdraw 'pose' the best. He's so cute jumping in frustation like that :kimchi:

Anyway, that's all the weapons in this game. All that's left is just one final update.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"Oh no, our Keyblades broke. I guess we didn't power them up enough."

If... if you could do that all along, why not do it immediately? For that matter, why doesn't Yen Sid give Riku and Aqua fancy Drive Form clothes like Sora? :psyduck:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Because Yen Sid, like Xemnas, is filled with :effort:

I mean, he pretty much never leaves his chair. Except probably once in Fantasia world right before DDD happens. He did come to the Keyblade Graveyard to save everyone, at least, so there's that.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Well, we've done pretty much everything this game has to offer. Now let's take a look at what the game doesn't have to offer.

New Music: Results and Rewards

There's this music that haven't showed up anywhere in the game. Apparently it's supposed to show up in the results screen in Mission Mode. Seems like it only plays in multiplayer mode.

It would've been nice if it played after missions with The Games.

I said it before, but Prankster Paradise was planned to be in this game. It was scrapped, but there's still sprites for these characters in the game.

Apparently Megara and Hades were supposed to appear in this game, but they ended up not appearing for whatever reason.

That's more than you can say about Peter Pan, though. His sprite isn't in the game, which means that he's never meant to appear in this game for whatever reason.

Tinkerbell does have a sprite, which I have used in the LP. In the game, her sprites were never used. Was she meant to talk to Roxas? And if so, how? :iiam:

Those are pretty much all I can find regarding this game, but there's still something I haven't showed off yet.

Magic Gear: Stick (It's a stick. What did you expect?)
Holiday Gear: Struggle Bat (A bat with a strong affinity to balls.)

NOW we've seen all the weapons. These two weapons can only be used in their respective missions in Story/Challenge Mode.

Speaking of Challenge Mode,this is the guide I used for it. It's also very useful for Story Mode.

This is how our panel configuration are by the end of the game. It's disappointing that this game has no Secret Movie, although it does have 10 times more Ansem/Xehanort reports than any other games.

I've already said all I have to say about this game, so let me summarize this game's story with 2 pictures:

The strange thing is that these pictures work whether you think the story is dramatic or stupid.

And finally, we reached the end of this LP. Thank you for reading.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Good job finishing the LP. :toot:

Now it's time for Re:Coded.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

as someone who missed the hype train for this series the first couple of times around, I thank you, for helping me achieve a greater understanding of the true nature of Kingdom Hearts :sora:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Thanks for the LP, num! :toot:

SatansOnion posted:

as someone who missed the hype train for this series the first couple of times around, I thank you, for helping me achieve a greater understanding of the true nature of Kingdom Hearts :sora:

There is a very good reason the subtitle for the KH3 spoiler thread is 'and still you understand nothing'.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The cast of Kingdom Hearts doesn't even understand the plot of Kingdom Hearts.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

There's a reason Sora, who doesn't even try to understand the plot of Kingdom Hearts, is the strongest character in the franchise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, but it still bothers me that Sora has a year gap in his memories and doesn't find it the least bit odd that there are people he doesn't know who recognize him.

Maybe these two things are correlated. :argh:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Does Sora even remember that he has a one-year gap? For him it probably feels like the memory gap is just a few hours or something.

...Sora is not a smart person.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The guy that asked too many questions became a hunchbacked demon elf bent on resetting the Universe.

Sora is the smartest person.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Sora isn't smart, but he did the best thing you can do in KH universe.

Being smart is not a good thing in KH.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

1234567890num posted:

Does Sora even remember that he has a one-year gap? For him it probably feels like the memory gap is just a few hours or something.

Even at the current point in the series I don't think anyone has ever actually told Sora about the events of Chain of Memories (in KH3 he seems to know about Coded though even though that technically wasn't him). Larxene and Marluxia bring up the fact that they've met before but Sora doesn't really seem to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Well, the last thing he should remember before waking up in Twilight Town is walking up to Castle Oblivion after running into Marluxia, given that was shown in the memory compilation at the start of KH2 in smaller clothes with a weird message in his journal.

But they never really talk about the passage of time in KH, so he doesn't seem to notice or care.