Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, keep in mind that it has been 10 years since Hollow Bastion got darkness-ed on, which led to the whole Heartless thing in the first place. Then again, Deep Jungle had no Heartless at all during that time until Clayton called to them.

I guess it varies?

Seems that way, some worlds seem to know what Heartless are while others appear to have never heard of them before. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

berryjon posted:

And it includes some things that if they were in the game would have been amazing. Like Riku talking with Roxas at the Ice Cream shop and the followup in Twilight Town.

Why did the manga stop after Days anyway? I felt a lot of them were actually better than the games in some aspects (particularly this and the COM manga).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

The Days manga is especially worth a read, the characters in it actually have more character than in the game, the main trio included.

Yeah, all 4 existing manga are pretty good to be fair but Days is probably one of the best. As mentioned it goes a little deeper into the personal life of the Organization as well as expanding on the overall story a little more , there's a cute section where Roxas and Xion temporarily adopt Pluto and he even threw an appearance from the Caterpillar into the Wonderland section, a character that has never appeared in the games themselves. So yeah, I'd say it's worth a look.

I believe all the existing manga are available legally in english via Amazon but scans also exist online if you want a quick look at it.

Also, while it never got a manga adaption, BBS did at least get a novelization that explains a few extra things the game didn't (like how, before he looked like Sora, Vanitas' true form was basically just a man-sized Heartless wearing armor). Don't know if said novel ever got translated though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 2, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

1234567890num posted:

The manga was interesting. Glad they decided to make Roxas and the others more involved in the Disney worlds (except Halloween town). The Organization members are more fleshed out (except Larxene & Xigbar who are basically the same and Zexion & Xaldin who are relatively not really shown that much). I'm not counting Xemnas and Saix since they just hang out at the castle. I especially love the Wonderland sections.

Speaking of which, Haloween Town makes no appearance at all in any of the KH manga (though Deep Jungle wasn't in the KH1 adaption and I believe both the Pride Lands and Port Royal were cut from the KH2 manga), was there any particular reason why? The author seems to really love Agrabah though (it's in every manga and it's the only Disney world that appears in the COM adaption).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

berryjon posted:

What I want to know is what Xion was doing on Destiny Islands!

Also, the Time Skips in this game are the worst. They come out of nowhere, and have huge gaps in them.

Maybe there were still some leftover Heartless sprouting up there, I'm not sure.

And yeah, this game is kind of weird timeline wise as it simultaneously takes place before, during and immediately after Chain of Memories. The majority of the game takes place during the latter section though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean he interacted with the dead Castle Oblivion members more than Axel, or at least about as much, before they left. Granted, Marluxia and Larxene especially were extremely unpleasant.

I've always kind of gotten the feeling that those two weren't exactly good people even before they lost their hearts so Xehanort didn't really have to do all that much to convince them (it's still kind of weird that he'd let two literal traitors back into his ranks in KH3 but I guess since they're partially him now it doesn't really matter that much).

But yeah, this is not a good game by any stretch but it's also still slightly more relevant to the plot than Coded was (though conversely I actually liked the gameplay in Coded a lot better by comparison).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 15, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

1234567890num posted:

I don't remember that line. When did it happen?

Chain of Memories I think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

1234567890num posted:

I mean when did it happen in the movie. Is it right after he rescued Belle from the wolves?

Oh, I'd forgotten that line was even in the movie (was it?). No idea then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You posted the same update twice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On one hand, I like the concept of the Organization because I'm a sucker for elemental bosses like the Four Archfiends or whatever

On the other hand, the Organization is mostly a bunch of one note, melodramatic characters who whine about how they don't exist despite the fact that they have to exist to even whine about that in the first place. And then they can just... regrow the missing element of their body that signifies them as a Nobody in the first place.

Which sort of makes me wonder what the difference between a human and a Nobody actually is in that case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, I don't believe any of the manga actually cover Halloween Town (the artist really seemed to love Agrabah though). Not entirely sure why.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

1234567890num posted:

Agreed. :hfive:

Other than trying to kill Axel and Roxas before Tink told him not to, nothing (surprisingly). Considering that Axel is actually a nice friend while in Neverland, I guess it's a "nice friend" day.

Also, I think Agrabah just appears in the manga...twice? For one chapter each? I don't exactly remember, but that's the same as most worlds and even less than Wonderland.

I believe it's one of the few worlds that appears in just about every manga adaption (and the only Disney world that appears in the COM manga).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You should, they're all pretty good in their own right. Kind of a pity there wasn't a manga for BBS onward though. BBS did get an official novelization however though I don't remember if it was ever translated.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, as KH2 proves Sora was basically Xemnas' Plan C. After all, if neither the Nobody or the Copy worked out you might as well make use of the genuine article who's already after the Heartless anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which reminds me, why does Xigbar see Ven of all people when he looks at Xion? As I recall they barely interacted in BBS aside from Ven glaring at him angrily once and Braig mocking him for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

I like how Roxas felt the need to go write his last angsty thoughts into his diary. He truly is the epitome of Angsty Teen.

Also I always forget Saïx is a boss in this game, probably because it was even remotely referenced in the HD movie.

Yeah, that whole sequence with Roxas and Saix is cut out of the HD movie entirely. No idea why though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I liked Re:Coded. Sorta. Data Sora was well-written and likable.

I did not like the fact that it was ANOTHER side game that rehashed Kingdom Hearts I and introduced few new enemies. Also, no Data Kairi for no good reason.

Though it was the only American game you could fight Roxas in for a while, so there's that.

Honestly the only important part of Coded (so far anyway) is the secret ending and even that gets repeated at the start of DDD.

Sort of sad it was re-released as a movie rather than getting the HD/Final Mix treatment as the gameplay is arguably the best part of Coded. I especially liked how they changed up the gameplay style whenever you entered a Keyhole but it's a pity it only happens 3 times (a side scroller in Traverse Town, an on rails shooting section in Wonderland and a turn based RPG in the Olympus Colosseum). It even brought back the ability to meld commands like you could in BBS (sort of anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 19, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Her name is literally Rabbit Moon (Usagi Tsukino) so yeah, that was the inspiration for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

1234567890num posted:

Does Sora even remember that he has a one-year gap? For him it probably feels like the memory gap is just a few hours or something.

...Sora is not a smart person.

Even at the current point in the series I don't think anyone has ever actually told Sora about the events of Chain of Memories (in KH3 he seems to know about Coded though even though that technically wasn't him). Larxene and Marluxia bring up the fact that they've met before but Sora doesn't really seem to care.