Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Boy oh boy, I'm getting PTSD flashbacks from that clock tower already. I did want to point out, I dunno if you were joking, but Xigbar's "ear to the ground" is in reference to him snooping around and eavesdropping. Though he really doesn't do it too much. And I think Xaldin's "silver tongue" was because of how he was able to manipulate The Beast.

(Also, I really appreciate those plug-ins man, thanks a ton.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

I think you see the clock tower even more in this game than in the movie. Probably. I didn't count.
The problem with the movie is it breezes right over the Disney worlds. So pretty often you see the tower, a twenty second briefing of Disney world visits, and then right back to the tower for another five minute cutscene. Makes it feel like you never loving leave Twilight Town.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You'd think a game about the Organization would give more focus to the members of the Organization. But I guess Axel didn't get enough screentime in the two other games that he prominently featured in. :argh:
One of my biggest gripes with this game, honestly. Axel got more than enough screentime in CoM and II, but he has to hog the spotlight alongside Roxas here as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I like how someone (probably Xemnas) gave each room in The Castle That Never Was some super fancy name, but just got lazy with "The Grey Area".

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Axel posted:

Very good, Roxas! No way you're gonna forget his name, right? Now let's get moving.

Man, you just know the writers were patting themselves on the back here, thinking they were oh-so-clever. Also, I don't care what anyone says, the Panel system is pure garbage and I can't imagine why anyone thought it'd be a good idea.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I also always wondered what the Organization even did before Roxas showed up. I suppose suppressing Heartless so they don't completely swallow a world is the best thing I can think of.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I honestly consider the small interactions between Roxas and the less-focused-on Nobodies better than anything with him and Axel/Xion. And I love Xigbar looking up there near the start, always makes me chuckle.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I like the manga version of this more, where Lexaeus quietly and politely trains Roxas' mind by having him do puzzles. Lord knows that kid needs an intelligence boost. People call Sora dumb, but I'd argue Roxas is much dumber.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Onmi posted:

Give him a break he's been alive for like a week or two.
Well, he SHOULD have the intelligence of a teenager after he's gotten used to existence. That, and I meant more later on when it takes him nearly a full year to realize the people he's working for aren't very nice.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I had heard that the mangaka simply didn't want to do it anymore.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Days manga is especially worth a read, the characters in it actually have more character than in the game, the main trio included.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Get ready to see this screen a lot. It's a nice touch that there's no heart there.
Thinking about it, this retroactively makes no sense. Apparently that all had hearts the entire time, as revealed in Dream Drop Distance.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Onmi posted:

Disney is NOT going to let a character get Norted
Theory: They'll let a character from The Black Cauldron get Norted because they hate the movie so drat much.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Speaking of Soldier recolors, I was always disappointed how a majority of the "new" enemy Heartless in this game are just recolors of existing ones. Even with the actual new ones, those Heartless get a bunch of recolors as well. At least not all the bosses are copy/pasted.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Saix is (kinda) possessed by said biggest rear end in a top hat in the universe, so it's kind of a given. The thing that makes it more obvious is that his assholery isn't the trolling/amusing kind like Xigbar's.
That's something I wondered about. He's apparently possessed, but shows no signs of personality-wise it until Dream Drop Distance, with the secret ending of Coded making it seem like Xehanort only possessed Saïx after the events of Kingdom Hearts II. I mean Saïx was explicitly trying to take down Xemnas because he didn't trust him. That's weird behavior for someone that's been Norted.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

B for sure. Emblems are easily the worst mission type in the game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

berryjon posted:

To be fair to Roxas, Axel and Xion are his only friends. He doesn't have the wherewithal to care about anyone else in more than a vague, abstract sense. Not that he got to know any of them before they got shipped off.
I mean he interacted with the dead Castle Oblivion members more than Axel, or at least about as much, before they left. Granted, Marluxia and Larxene especially were extremely unpleasant.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Man, the writing in this game is pretty weak, on the whole. Which is a shame, because the first CoM game was definitely the best written KH game I've played, probably due to its lack of voice acting, and the Re:CoM localization killed a lot of that.

I liked Axel a whole lot better when his catchphrase was "commit it to memory" and he only said it like three times.
I'm honestly surprised how few people consider this the lowest point of the series. I mean Re:coded may be pointless, but it's not nearly as bad as this.

It's even worse in Dream Drop Distance where he drops like, three of his lovely catchphrases during the course of the game. And naturally each and every time it's just as forced as always. It's even worse worse in the Days movie, because thanks to all the skipping around we'll see him say "Got it memorized?" about five times in as many minutes.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kemix posted:

For all the flack Re:CoM and Re:Coded get, I still call them better games compared to this. I mean, yea, both of them are basically "Lets retread KH1 again for people without a PS2" but...eh...I feel they did better as GAMES, specially since 358/2 did a LOT of repeating missions.
They have better stories too.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I guess Saïx just isn't Axel's friend anymore? He sure does a lot of killing for a guy he doesn't consider a best friend...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Did a little double take when I saw Honest John's portrait pop in out of nowhere.

Anyway, is it wrong that I actually kind of like the clue-hunting, surveying missions? I think part of it may be because it's a mission that isn't just "kill Heartless" or those awful emblem missions.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I did always wonder where they got these elemental powers from. I guess it was pretty convenient there weren't any repeating elements, aside from Xion. And also leave Demyx alone, he's trying his best dang it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

What would you do if you woke up in the middle of the night and The Genie was staring into your window?

I always thought it was kind of weird, if neat, that Agrabah has this entire section not based off of anything from the movies given how rare that happens in Disney worlds. Also I remember that Antlion fucker being a major pain in the rear end, one of the few bosses I can remember off the top of my head in this game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Wow. You're boring.
You figured out innermost secret of Xion's character it seems.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I always liked Xaldin's relationship with The Beast. Unironically it's better than the relationship of the main trio of this game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Xaldin's relationship with Beast is the kind where one person doesn't even know the other exists, and then the other person tries to get the first's attention. It's funnily similar to a "Notice me senpai!" situation.
More like Xaldin goes full on Yandere by the time Sora and crew get involved.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Thing is Riku never actually did kill an Organization member. Xehanort's Heartless killed Lexaeus, while Zexion was killed by Repliku. He and Mickey were just goofing off for an entire year and getting nothing done until the last few days, apparently.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

In the original, Lexaeus sacrificed himself, but in the remake and definitive version, Lexaeus was about to kill Riku, but Xehanort's Heartless possessed him and saved his rear end at the last moment.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Woops, we almost had the other Organization members do something interesting there. Better remove it from the movie so no one remembers it. :v:
There are other Organization members in this game? I thought it was just Axel and Roxas.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

As much as I love Xigbar being a coy rear end in a top hat, with the revelation that all three people in that room are Xehanort has it make no sense. Shouldn't all three of these guys be on the exact same wavelength?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Great timing on the newest update. Happy Halloween indeed.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

I'm legitimately going to be surprised if Axel doesn't betray anyone in KH3.
Same.

People seem to forget that for the most part, Axel is a really lovely loving friend.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Larryb posted:

Which reminds me, why does Xigbar see Ven of all people when he looks at Xion? As I recall they barely interacted in BBS aside from Ven glaring at him angrily once and Braig mocking him for it.
That's something I've wondered too. It was brought up several times throughout the series so I thought it was a big deal, but when I got into Birth by Sleep, it was just a scene that lasted five seconds.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I like how Roxas felt the need to go write his last angsty thoughts into his diary. He truly is the epitome of Angsty Teen.

Also I always forget Saïx is a boss in this game, probably because it was even remotely referenced in the HD movie.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Weird they wouldn't have you fight a boss on the second-to-last day of the game, not even a Heartless or something.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Good LP my man, extra props to you for going through such an...interesting game. Now you just gotta do the other dozen or so before January 29th.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Roxas wields the Keyblade because he is the Nobody of Sora, a Keyblade wielder. Not because he managed to grow a heart.
So, does Xion get the Keyblade because she has Sora's memories?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Here we see Luxord lamenting his irrelevance in KH2 (and this game) and hoping for a better role in KH3.
Real talk, this is a big reason why I wanted him (and Demyx) to return as Norts in III, to give them a second chance at being remotely interesting.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think there's enough to forgive Axel for being such a lovely friend, but I do like that the secret reports do a lot of work to flesh out his and Xion's internal struggles throughout the game. It's a shame that all the entries by other characters say basically nothing we didn't already know from context, though.
And hilariously he becomes an even shittier friend when it turns out he was perfectly willing to murder Roxas to save his own rear end.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It's almost like Days' story is really loving stupid and poorly thought out or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The guy that asked too many questions became a hunchbacked demon elf bent on resetting the Universe.

Sora is the smartest person.