Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I also think 5 proved you couldn't get much more bloood out of the mgs story stone and I'm kinda glad Kojima left Konami in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
why is every post itt la-li-lu-le-lo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al! posted:

why is every post itt la-li-lu-le-lo

See, Kojima got this bit wrong, it's not that we're going to have literal information filters that make the words "The Patriots" impossible to hear.

It's just that someone will go "Oh, the Patriots? Fake News!"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

WampaLord posted:

See, Kojima got this bit wrong, it's not that we're going to have literal information filters that make the words "The Patriots" impossible to hear.

It's possible that this is not "wrong" but using it literal for the sake of easily conveying the concept which now manifests itself as "fake news" and filter bubbles.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Zero will eventually become one

Hideo Kojima doesn't understand math, or genetics, or just about anything really

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

isn't there some quote by some lady describing how bad his writing is, like it wouldn't even get a second pass by a third-rate publishing company?

that was good

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Nail Rat posted:

Hideo Kojima doesn't understand math, or genetics, or just about anything really

Kojima understands butts. :colbert:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Kojima understands butts. :colbert:

He also understands regretting words and deeds

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Scent of Worf posted:

I played the MGS5 intro where the guy shoots a flaming whale at you then I uninstalled the game. Anyway that's my experience with metal gear.

a powerful self own.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hot Coldman

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

I played the MGS5 intro where the guy shoots a flaming whale at you then I uninstalled the game. Anyway that's my experience with metal gear.

Why didn’t you play the first part of that game where you infiltrate Guantanamo bay and free the tortured prisoners

Kojima is woke af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JuR7jnO6Dk

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Thats what the 'create context' means in the JD conversation in the op

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

Thats what the 'create context' means in the JD conversation in the op

verrit dot com

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Kojima and Adam Curtis should do a collab so I can trip balls when watching it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its important to remember that the human flaws that lead to Fake News (confirmation bias, rationalization, preference for validation seeking over falsification) aren't new, and have existed so long as people have. What is new is the ability for people of like minded people to aggregate, and form their own communities. The bifurcation and polarization of these communities, and the corresponding internal development of ideology, has intensified. The speed of the dialectical process has increased. It presents great risk, but also great opportunity. Ideologies can now manifest in a purer form then before, without being moderated by outside dependency.

That this has lead to terrorist incels is to be expected. Inceldom is simply toxic masculinity taken to its logical conclusion. Its pure ideological form, without moderation or compromise. It is simply one of the first ideologies to be expressed this way. Others will follow. That's the opportunity, because that process has the potential for real radical emancipation.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

rudatron posted:

la-li-lu-le-lo

weird thread

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
U've already done that joke

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

rudatron posted:

U've already done that joke

Take your dumb rantings to the incel thread if you're gonna bitch about incels.

There are no incels in Metal Gear, even Otacon fucks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
There's got to be an incel in one of the newer games

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its an example dude, one that matches the whole point of this thread - echo chambers. "No one is invalidated, but nobody is right".

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
do i still need a ps3 to play all these legally

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

WampaLord posted:

There are no incels in Metal Gear

Uhmmmm psycho mantis?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

glad she is dead posted:

Uhmmmm psycho mantis?

He is explicitly volcel

He is also contrasted against Our Heroes, who Love rear end

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Take your dumb rantings to the incel thread if you're gonna bitch about incels.

There are no incels in Metal Gear, even Otacon fucks.

specifically: otacon fucks when cucking his dad, or else doesn't have Snake to tie up all his spare time in inscrutable 11th dimensional chess Patriots machinations.

hideo kojima's self-insert character is a straight up Chad when he isn't cleaning up the sins of the previous generation.

rudatron posted:

Its an example dude, one that matches the whole point of this thread - echo chambers. "No one is invalidated, but nobody is right".

your reading is definitely invalidated in the text, though. the deterioration of discourse is explicitly presented as malign, with no possibility for improvement short of annihilation of GW and the allowance of a relatively untrammeled human condition to take hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdmsPG-BfRw

there is no opportunity in the text, here. it is a comprehensive case in favor of destruction. david hayter is trying what you're advocating and consistently brought short. so the plot as established in mgs4, while you're watching these commercials during the installation, is to take control of david hayter's simulacra and do what he fails to do. burn the whole loving thing down and end the character's arc.

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Jun 20, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

specifically: otacon fucks when cucking his dad, or else doesn't have Snake to tie up all his spare time in inscrutable 11th dimensional chess Patriots machinations.

hideo kojima's self-insert character is a straight up Chad when he isn't cleaning up the sins of the previous generation.

Hell yes I totally forgot about the super Oedipal backstory poo poo we get about that.

Nail Rat posted:

This was the dumbest thing, making the comic relief radio team into the Illuminati

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Dongslayer. posted:

do i still need a ps3 to play all these legally

Yeah mgs4 is probably never going to get ported

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

By the way I heavily recommend these videos about exploring the series more critically, I'm just gonna post the one for 2 though because 2 is the first one I played and stuck with me the most

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2YuPGYabw

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Willie Tomg posted:

your reading is definitely invalidated in the text, though. the deterioration of discourse is explicitly presented as malign, with no possibility for improvement short of annihilation of GW and the allowance of a relatively untrammeled human condition to take hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdmsPG-BfRw

there is no opportunity in the text, here. it is a comprehensive case in favor of destruction. david hayter is trying what you're advocating and consistently brought short. so the plot as established in mgs4, while you're watching these commercials during the installation, is to take control of david hayter's simulacra and do what he fails to do. burn the whole loving thing down and end the character's arc.
I'm disagreeing with the text, not doing a reading of it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

I'm disagreeing with the text, not doing a reading of it.

this sentence is so insanely goddamned funny i can't believe its intentional

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHash5takWU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
We're not just doing a reading of mgs, were comparing it with the real world. While mgs 2 was ahead of its time, it's still a piece a fiction, that represents the beliefs of its authors, not reality. In particular, I claim that its thesis you outline, is wrong, and I explained why. You're free to disagree, but I don't understand why you're misinterpreting a commentary as a interpretation. It seems so basic a distinction.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell, even Johnny Sasaki the diarrhea master fucks

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

We're not just doing a reading of mgs, were comparing it with the real world.

In doing the latter as a part of interpretation you're necessarily performing the former. That you're unconscious of this process is half my disagreement. That you're incorrect is the other, lesser, half.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
if you're sitting on a wellspring of revolutionary liberatory humanism you feel won't be ruined to poo poo by posting it on a clearnet shitposting forum on somethingawful in the year 2018, now is the time. MGS is a profoundly pessimistic statement until every main character dies and lets the human race get on with living free from gamified and monetized conflicts enacted for increasingly tenuously self-reflexive reasons, so being wrong would be unambiguously good irl. its not wrong, though, its become if anything: more accurate. that's a problem, because that poo poo was batshit crazy when it came out and that shift represents in a material sense how predictably far we've fallen as a society.

e; like you say "um actually these phenomena aren't new, they're just happening faster" and.... thats... the... literal... plot? like, that's the entire story arc presented from 1-4. that none of it is new, its just more hegemonic than ever because of technology so in 1965 maybe you had to be a german ghost to talk with the dead, but in 2020 you can be Just Some Security Guy and locked in a cranium full of ghosts and phantasms while your meatflesh performs warcrimes because that's how you make a living. but that's also the only way for small groups founded on personal relationships to stand in defiance to hegemony, is by leveraging that tech? like, you're talking about the themes of the games, and saying these themes aren't there. its confusing.

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jun 20, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the initial inspiration for MGS2's story was Napster demonstrating how arbitrary IP was as a general concept.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You reason that my reading was invalidated because my commentary didn't match 100% with the books. But I was talking about reality, not fiction. That they don't match up was the point. Just own up to your mistake.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
your reading is invalidated because the particulars you mention as existing IRL as distinct from the games are very specifically core to the themes of the games themselves, and the things characteristic of the games which were farfetched in their contemporary period have become highly evocative in 2018, which gives the impression that you don't know what you're talking about. but are still posting. which is a particular pathology called out as sad and anti-human by the GW AI at the end of MGS2. lord, forgive.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

Its important to remember that the human flaws that lead to Fake News (confirmation bias, rationalization, preference for validation seeking over falsification) aren't new, and have existed so long as people have. What is new is the ability for people of like minded people to aggregate, and form their own communities. The bifurcation and polarization of these communities, and the corresponding internal development of ideology, has intensified. The speed of the dialectical process has increased. It presents great risk, but also great opportunity. Ideologies can now manifest in a purer form then before, without being moderated by outside dependency.

That this has lead to terrorist incels is to be expected. Inceldom is simply toxic masculinity taken to its logical conclusion. Its pure ideological form, without moderation or compromise. It is simply one of the first ideologies to be expressed this way. Others will follow. That's the opportunity, because that process has the potential for real radical emancipation.

literally, LITERALLY this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rRA49RlP2g&t=76s

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the first time playing mgs2 i put in the name COCKGOBBLER on the first save station, not knowing i was utterly sabotaging a Highly Poignant Moment in the final cutscene of the game. it still seemed fitting, though. just like: why not, when everything else went nuts, would COCKGOBBLER not come back up, y'know? it's as good a name as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about ideas, is that they're always mediated by material existence. The fear that The Virtual replaces The Real is a liberal fear, because liberals conceive of history as being pushed forward by ideas, and therefore the nature of ideas and intellectual debate, is extremely important to them, see: decorum. But it's actually the other way around - people search for ideas to make sense of their immediate problems and concerns. The greater viciousness and open conflict, is a consequence of declining material conditions in the West. MGS has an idealist conception of history, so it's a liberal piece. This shouldn't surprise anyone, since it's made by a liberal. But, it's pessimism has become prescient, thanks to said material decline, and it still has important things to say. Militarism, confirmation bias, etc. It still has value. But it can't actually predict the future.

The opportunity presented, is one of ideological development, through dialectic conflict. It's precisely by pushing forward ideologies to their logical conclusions, showing them for all to see, contradictions and all, putting them in conflict, and then resolving those contradictions, that progress can occur. Everything that has occured, and will occur, did not spring from nowhere, but developed from already existing ideological assumptions.

Case in point: The right having orgasms over tearing children from mothers. Inside the right wing bubble, there is no problem. Their isolation from wider society is develop their xenophobia to its logical conclusion. Outside the bubble, it's horrifying & cruel. It's alienating. But the xenophobia always existed, it was simply hidden. Now, it is exposed. That is the process of ideological intensification - everything gets exposed.

• Locked thread