Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

rudatron posted:

The thing about ideas, is that they're always mediated by material existence.

this is so perfectly backwards i feel bad even going further.

you should play the games, because they're very much Your poo poo and its clear you've been incorrectly informed about their thematic content and while they're not exactly Adorno they're the kind of joyfully earnestly stupid that they wind up being far smarter than their cultural weight class.

the video game's ideology is fake. the material world is real. the video game's inability to address the world makes another video game inevitable, unless everyone dies, and the video game is at last forced to accede to reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
reminder that otacon was banging his step mother while his father drowned himself in the family pool

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Reclines Obesily posted:

reminder that otacon was banging his step mother while his father drowned himself in the family pool

and then you meet huey and it turns out this was a happy story with a happy ending lmfao kojima is hosed up

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

and then you meet huey and it turns out this was a happy story with a happy ending lmfao kojima is hosed up

Really good acting by Robin Downes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppoKfEFvwm8

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
otacon cucking his father is one of the most heroic acts in the metal gear series

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Reclines Obesily posted:

otacon cucking his father is one of the most heroic acts in the metal gear series

o7

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
*Liquid Snake voice*
You got all the chad genes! While all I got was the inferior virgin genes!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

*Liquid Snake voice*
You got all the chad genes! While all I got was the inferior virgin genes!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I liked how Pynchon repeatedly brought up Metal Gear and Kojima in Bleeding Edge.

Gravity's Rainbow is definitely a big MGS inspiration and a boss that gets boners that tell him where bombs are going to land would fit in perfectly.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

rudatron posted:

Its important to remember that the human flaws that lead to Fake News (confirmation bias, rationalization, preference for validation seeking over falsification) aren't new, and have existed so long as people have. What is new is the ability for people of like minded people to aggregate, and form their own communities. The bifurcation and polarization of these communities, and the corresponding internal development of ideology, has intensified. The speed of the dialectical process has increased. It presents great risk, but also great opportunity. Ideologies can now manifest in a purer form then before, without being moderated by outside dependency.

That this has lead to terrorist incels is to be expected. Inceldom is simply toxic masculinity taken to its logical conclusion. Its pure ideological form, without moderation or compromise. It is simply one of the first ideologies to be expressed this way. Others will follow. That's the opportunity, because that process has the potential for real radical emancipation.

Kojima was also commenting on then current trends in Japanese society, and Japan was a ahead of the west in terms of the consequences of late stage capitalism clearly manifesting in the mental health of its citizens. Before incels, Japan had hikkikomori, NEETs, Otaku, and a host of other varieties of manchild. The chief difference between Japan and other countries who have these problems now is that Japan's basement dwellers are ever so slightly less prone to going on killings sprees.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

WampaLord posted:

Take your dumb rantings to the incel thread if you're gonna bitch about incels.

There are no incels in Metal Gear, even Otacon fucks.

Reminder: Otacon cucked his dad.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Let us English posted:

Japan's basement dwellers are ever so slightly less prone to going on killings sprees.

true but the lineage is still there: mgs2 owes a lot to evangelion, parts of which were inspired by the aum shinrikyo sarin attacks.

and anyway disregarding the eva influence, the aum shinrikyo stuff weighed pretty heavily on people of kojima's generation

Mia Wasikowska has issued a correction as of 10:02 on Jun 20, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reclines Obesily posted:

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
is there any good playthrough videos of mgs1-3? preferably one without obnoxious commentary. ive wanted to experience them for a while but i dont have the time or patience to play them myself.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Getright downlo posted:

is there any good playthrough videos of mgs1-3? preferably one without obnoxious commentary. ive wanted to experience them for a while but i dont have the time or patience to play them myself.

idk about no commentary, but these goons do comprehensive LPs semi-professionally, mostly dont talk over cutscenes, and left the forums when lowtax had some kind of meltdown over LPs so they're doing at least three things right.

MGS1
MGS2
MGS3

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Willie Tomg posted:

idk about no commentary, but these goons do comprehensive LPs semi-professionally, mostly dont talk over cutscenes, and left the forums when lowtax had some kind of meltdown over LPs so they're doing at least three things right.

MGS1
MGS2
MGS3

the meltdown was one of their girlfriends claiming we should call child services on lowtax for letting shmorky near his kids.

she got banned

lowtax loves his kids

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

MGS1
MGS2
MGS3

They also did peace walker, 4, and are currently doing V

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hideo Kojima is god

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

the meltdown was one of their girlfriends claiming we should call child services on lowtax for letting shmorky near his kids.

she got banned

lowtax loves his kids

im really glad this is the first and last i'll ever hear of this, and thanks to twin efforts of Lone Star brand beer and my neighbor's brand weed that it'll be soon forgotten

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Willie Tomg posted:

im really glad this is the first and last i'll ever hear of this, and thanks to twin efforts of Lone Star brand beer and my neighbor's brand weed that it'll be soon forgotten

i'm sorry i reminded you shmorky exists

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Is there a political meaning to making Vamp bisexual or is that Kojima just throwing darts at attributes for his villains and landing on "vampire" and "bisexual" and "full of nanomachines"

Is it just a pun on the word "vamp"

Why can he run on the water

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Getright downlo posted:

What the gently caress

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Is there a political meaning to making Vamp bisexual or is that Kojima just throwing darts at attributes for his villains and landing on "vampire" and "bisexual" and "full of nanomachines"

The room where you encounter him is full of "heavy" water iirc

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

What the gently caress

The first four games are Kusoge

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

WampaLord posted:

Need some homoerotic fighting scenes for the female fan base

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Dreddout posted:

Need some homoerotic fighting scenes for the female fan base

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

WampaLord posted:

It's magic.

The MGS4 non-magic explanations for everything are part of its theme of the "magic" being sucked out of everything by the soulless machines running the world.

Not that MGS4 isn't bad.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Vamp can run on water because its cool and makes for good gameplay, that's it. As long as it's semi believable its fine.

Subtext > canon.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Willie Tomg posted:

MGS1
MGS2
MGS3

cool, thank you. this will give me something to watch while i pretend to work

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
im gonna play these because my life is meaningless.

in release order or timeline order??

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ferroque posted:

The room where you encounter him is full of "heavy" water iirc

I thought it was the opposite, that hte water had such low viscosity and was so oxygenated that if you fell in you'd never be able to swim out but he can run on it for no reason

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

im gonna play these because my life is meaningless.

in release order or timeline order??

release order

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I thought it was the opposite, that hte water had such low viscosity and was so oxygenated that if you fell in you'd never be able to swim out but he can run on it for no reason

Idk it's something stupid like that. I killed my soul etc.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i liked playing mgs3, is 2 gonna be too much of a pain to go back to

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

i liked playing mgs3, is 2 gonna be too much of a pain to go back to

Does it bother you when gameplay is interrupted by cutscenes/codec calls?

Cause that happens a lot.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so which 2000s game had incel terrorists in it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Typo posted:

the original Rainbow Six came out in 1998 and has you raiding an eco-terrorist compound where they build some huge biome/arcology to wait out the supervirus wiping all of human life off the earth, iirc.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
You also kill a bunch of neofascists in the sequels, which owns. Also the games remove some of Clancy's jingoism so it's basically just a story about international counterterrorism in a very pre-9/11 context.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

not a game, but the anime Ghost In the Shell tv series 2nd Gig had a mind-virus-book that turns you into a terrorist, but only if you're a virgin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
mgs4 was a total shitpile. they fired david hayter cause kojima is a shameless starfucker and wanted to be friends with keifer lmao. what a farce

• Locked thread