Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

WampaLord posted:

The dynamic song lyrics of Revengeance are one of gaming's greatest innovations

They're coming back in DMC 5 but applied to the whole game rather than just bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1016991209066254338

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Shear Modulus posted:

Metal Gear?!?! is the series' motto but this one is also a good one from the best game in the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_blUzsgnXc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXgsXF0auQ&hd=1

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Shear Modulus posted:

Metal Gear?!?! is the series' motto but this one is also a good one from the best game in the series

reposting for GRU operatives irl

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

Xenogears predicted the rants of Jordan B. Peterson.

It even has the perfect theme for him and the Alt-Right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8MFPIvFpU

HPK
Mar 25, 2003
guy

Shear Modulus posted:

the best-ever media prediction of 9/11 is still starship troopers (the movie of course)

No, the first episode of The Lone Gunmen still takes the cake, because it may have helped inspire parts of the attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjbQ-BDh4PU&t=2411s

Actually, this makes me wonder, "Did 9/11 still happen in the X-Files universe?" Cause it would suck if they prevented planes from crashing into the Twin Towers only for it to happen 6 months later.

HPK has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Jul 29, 2018

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1023697923329220608
https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1028721545995333634

Mia Wasikowska has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Aug 14, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I just played 4 and my favourite part was learning that Laughing Octopus became that way because her village in Scandinavia which ate octopus was attacked by psychos who made her kill her family while laughing.

For all the game’s crappy plot I liked Snake’s personal story and got a lump in my throat when he shot himself. Everything from that point was really pathetic.

I thought Liquid possessed Ocelot because Ocelot is The Sorrow’s kid and has his supernatural properties.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah 4 is absurd and the story is kinda bad I guess but also I really like it anyway

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/MetalGearEbooks/status/1042703258853232641

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Fun fact: they dropped the Metal Gear theme from 4 onwards because it was found to be plagiarizing a Soviet composer’s work https://youtu.be/8JL4JXEv-RY

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

snoremac posted:

Fun fact: they dropped the Metal Gear theme from 4 onwards because it was found to be plagiarizing a Soviet composer’s work https://youtu.be/8JL4JXEv-RY

Also drawn from Speed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_bIxRO0aDA

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
https://twitter.com/MetalGearEbooks/status/1043760219816382464

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

snoremac posted:

I thought Liquid possessed Ocelot because Ocelot is The Sorrow’s kid and has his supernatural properties.

This happened and is what was going on in 2 but between 2 and 4 he cut the arm off, replaced it with a robot arm, and hypnotized himself into thinking he was still Liquid because he realized the only person left in the world he hadn't double crossed was himself.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Ocelot's supernatural power is being mad horny and keeping track of all of his plans at the same time

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

More like reVolcel Ocelot

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Retromancer posted:

This happened and is what was going on in 2 but between 2 and 4 he cut the arm off, replaced it with a robot arm, and hypnotized himself into thinking he was still Liquid because he realized the only person left in the world he hadn't double crossed was himself.
Dear God that’s stupid.

I’m replaying 5 and while I think it also gets incredibly dumb and confusing, there’s a
noticeable improvement in dialogue and tone after 4’s maudlin wackiness. The opening to Ground Zeroes is fantastic.

I want to play Peace Walker just to hear the line “I am a gun.”

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
The dialogue didn't improve, there is just no dialogue period because Kojima thought a silent Mad Max protagonist was a great way to overcorrect from mgs4. The story is worse like there's some bullshit about a virus that makes the bikini sniper silent or something???

Revengeance was the real sequel to mgs4, wacky villain, hamhanded political commentary, high meme quality, it's all there

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

shame 5 was cut to pieces and unfinished, in addition to being way too easy and pointlessly open world. it's such a step down from ground zeroes, which is disappointing because the game being like 15-20 confined, really well polished areas would have owned

I kinda liked skull face and there was cool stuff going on though

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Yeah Ground Zeroes was great for what it was

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

LinYutang posted:

The dialogue didn't improve, there is just no dialogue period because Kojima thought a silent Mad Max protagonist was a great way to overcorrect from mgs4. The story is worse like there's some bullshit about a virus that makes the bikini sniper silent or something???

Revengeance was the real sequel to mgs4, wacky villain, hamhanded political commentary, high meme quality, it's all there
It helps at least in Ground Zeroes that Miller’s voice actor kills it with every line. And Keifer does alright for the six or so sentences he has.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LinYutang posted:

they infected her with the English language parasite as a suicide bomber basically, but she decided not to go through with killing Venom for, uh, reasons. also apparently English is all she speaks even though every other character in this game series is an espionage agent who speaks like 5 languages

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like MGS5 but it's not a coherent game or even a particularly good MGS game

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
mgs5 has the best gameplay by far so I can overlook the crappy plot.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i still havent played metal gear solid 5

mgs 3 was the bestest but just like all of them could have done with a lot of trimming the dialog down

ill probably play it after i finish witcher 3 which feels like it will be like at the end of the year

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KaptainKrunk posted:

shame 5 was cut to pieces and unfinished, in addition to being way too easy and pointlessly open world. it's such a step down from ground zeroes, which is disappointing because the game being like 15-20 confined, really well polished areas would have owned

I kinda liked skull face and there was cool stuff going on though

if they had added a bunch of poo poo in the open world, like more wildlife interactions and maybe factions fighting each other and you know, add the cut content.

Shear Modulus posted:

mgs 3 was the bestest but just like all of them could have done with a lot of trimming the dialog down

ill probably play it after i finish witcher 3 which feels like it will be like at the end of the year

5 is fun/best controls gameplay and its an ok send off to the Big boss related plot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was born in a small fiddle

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Shear Modulus posted:

Mgs5 is gonna be a huuuge letdown after witcher 3, that game nailed the setting of Miserable Medieval Poland

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Larry Parrish posted:

they infected her with the English language parasite as a suicide bomber basically, but she decided not to go through with killing Venom for, uh, reasons. also apparently English is all she speaks even though every other character in this game series is an espionage agent who speaks like 5 languages

She speaks Navajo for some reason.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

The biggest crime of MGS5 was turning Ocelot into a loving dullard.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LinYutang posted:

There's actually tons of dialogue but it's in the tapes you unlock as you go through the missions

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Shear Modulus posted:

Speaking of this scene I love the stupid little cat growl Ocelot does to call his men out of hiding

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Larry Parrish posted:

Why cant quiet just write poo poo down, or come up with humming signals to communicate

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Why cant quiet just write poo poo down, or come up with humming signals to communicate

They say she refuses to write things down. It is never explained why.

MGS 5 is poorly written!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Retromancer posted:

They say she refuses to write things down. It is never explained why.

MGS 5 is poorly written!

there's a conversation somewhere about how even thinking in a language while writing in it can trigger the parasites. but it's still dumb because she can just ask code talker to translate but never does.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Instead she has to hum the EXACT SAME loving PATTERN every 20 seconds or so.

I thought your name was Quiet for gently caress's sake, you're the loudest and most annoying "buddy" option available! I actually can't believe they thought her humming constantly was good game design and gave the player no way to turn it off.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

Instead she has to hum the EXACT SAME loving PATTERN every 20 seconds or so.

I thought your name was Quiet for gently caress's sake, you're the loudest and most annoying "buddy" option available! I actually can't believe they thought her humming constantly was good game design and gave the player no way to turn it off.

I like Quiet the best of the companion options but yeah you think a character who only hums and clicks her radio could have gotten more than 10 seconds of voice acting. Then again the same goes for Venom. The game is just unfinished, and feels very much like Kojima wasn't even finished writing the thing. My theory is well before Konami said 'gently caress you, wrap it up' they were strangling the projects resources so lots of poo poo never even got planned.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I can partly see what they were going for with a semi-silent protagonist given where they go with the character, but in practice the one-way conversations are very jarring.

It's also confusing as hell that the voice actor switches to Keifer the second Ocelot shows up. Throughout the prologue it's clearly someone else. I'm sure there's some explanation about airborne vocal cord mutation bugs buried in the tapes somewhere.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

LinYutang posted:

Mgs5 is gonna be a huuuge letdown after witcher 3, that game nailed the setting of Miserable Medieval Poland

the gameplay is waaaay better though, drat, MGSV is fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Hentai Jihadist posted:

the gameplay is waaaay better though, drat, MGSV is fun!

Yeah, I played MGSV first but can for sure say that the core gameplay is more fun to me than Witcher's, despite Witcher being the best open world game I've ever played. In terms of writing quality, character interactions, and the depth and breadth of the open world, Witcher is miles better, but its combat is mostly a chore and plays really awkwardly.

• Locked thread