Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Here's what I remember doing back when I made alts in this game, like forever ago:

Just set weapons power to maximum and broadside using fire at will with beam arrays. It solves all the destructible nasties problems (incoming high yield plasma torps, etc) and the wide arc means you're probably hitting most of the time. Can work on any ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

There was a big Ten Forward stream today, with the CEO of Cryptic and the Producers of Neverwinter and STO. Someone on reddit distilled the bullet points, so here's what they said-

quote:

Short term of the transition from Cryptic to DECA will be more people involved in the game's development.

There's nearly daily calls between Cryptic staff and DECA staff on things like development, roadmaps, what players want from the game, etc.

Long term, Phil thinks Cryptic will take more of a support function as more of the primary development moves to DECA.

Conversations with DECA began in Nov 2023. Plan is that transition would take around a year, but between hiring/training it might be longer.

None of Cryptic's games are going to be sunset, as per the current plan. Intent is to keep the games running a long time.

Licenses with Paramount/Wizards last several more years.

STO is called out every quarter for being a top performing title in Embracer's back catalogue.

DECA is planning to maintain the relationships with people at Paramount/Trek actors. DECA staff is being trained in that right now.

No planned changes for STO/NW/Champion updates/modules release schedule. Current release size is rough indicator of future release sizes.

STO plans

March 2024: New Mudd bundle with 2 popular ship picks.

April 2024: First contact day + new Star Trek Beyond ship.

May 2024: New Iconian event + new reward. New ship bundle T6 Dysons. New season planned for the end of the month.

June 2024: New Mudd bundle.

Season 32: Name not finalized

Continuation of Kings and Queens story

1 new episode

1 new TFO(an endless battle arena like Sompek)

New ship added to Infinity Lockbox

New event and reward

A new feature Cryptic hasn't done before

Returning Star Trek VA as guest celebrity(Denise Crosby based on spoilers)

Devlopment on next season is ahead of schedule.

New feature one word hint is token.(seemed to be a joke)

And some general answers to some questions that came up in chat-

quote:

No current plans in the near future for Cardassian/Romulan/Jem'Hadar ships.

Cryptic had 2 games in development in 2023, one planned for 2025, another for 2027. Both games were cancelled by Embracer. Cryptic has no new games in development right now. Cryptic is in wait and see mode for Embracer's new process for getting games greenlit.

While DECA is known for maintaining games, but not updating them, they will be updating Cryptic games as previously stated. They are staffing up/have an org chart for significant development for these titles for some time.

DECA is based in Berlin, but have staff worldwide.

No plans for using AI in the game's development(chat question)

Cryptic is very well informed as to what is happening/the transition. People are choosing to leave for other projects, some are stepping up to take on larger roles. Phil says there will be more people leaving/coming in. Cryptic staying long term on the games will be determined by how much DECA can ramp up into production, and if they need help with stuff like servers. Short term you will see a blend of Cryptic/DECA people. What it will be like in 4 years Phil doesn't know.

No current plans for changes for maintenance windows. Staff that does that is based in U.S./planned to stay here. Might change in the future if DECA gets the server staff spun up.

No current plans to change engine for any of the games. Would take like 3-5 years of the games being offline to transition games to new engine.

DECA has started looking into the feasibility of something like an Unreal port. Doesn't mean it will happen. It depends on cost/benefit analysis.

Cryptic has looked at what it would take to update the engine. The cost of that kind of change is millions, possibly over 10 mil. Changing the engine doesn't automatically mean the game gets better. Would have to go through and redo all the old content to actually make the game better. Cryptic couldn't find a case where the cost would be worth it. DECA might do their own analysis and come to a different conclusion. If they do, they will tell us.

Phil is going to do introductions between the Paramount/Wizards staff and DECA staff to help transitions between new staff and IP holders.

No worry about Zen/lifetime going away after the transition.

Updates short term will be from Cryptic, Medium term Cryptic/DECA, long term we'll see.

Discussions are happening between Phil, and Mike, and the staff at DECA, on when the DECA community manager will make introductions. Probably in a few weeks(3 or less).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

A new ship from Beyond? Are we finally getting a proper Kelvin -A?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. I'm up to 17k zen, still tentatively going for that 10th anniversary bundle, but the right mudd bundle could set that back.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Your mileage may vary, but I’m not really sure that I really use much ( or anything) out of the 10th bundle at this point. There has just been so much power creep with ships / consoles that do the same thing, only better over that last few years.

Jxforema fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 20, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hunter Noventa posted:

There was a big Ten Forward stream today, with the CEO of Cryptic and the Producers of Neverwinter and STO. Someone on reddit distilled the bullet points, so here's what they said-

And some general answers to some questions that came up in chat-

My decade plus old lifetime sub is going to last until the heat death of the universe at this rate.

Won't be too much longer before the captain's table becomes heritage listed.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

A new ship from Beyond? Are we finally getting a proper Kelvin -A?!

Apparently paramount refuses to let anyone use the -A for anything. Most people think it'll be the Salcombe.

And it's highly speculated that one of the mudd ships will be the Crossfield Refit, given that its trait is in such high demand.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jxforema posted:

Your mileage may vary, but I’m not really sure that I really use much ( or anything) out of the 10th bundle at this point. There has just been so much power creep with ships / consoles that do the same thing, only better over that last few years.
On the one hand, this is fair. On the other, the 10th anniversary bundle is still the best zen/boat combo so far and it gets you Pretty Good iterations of every hero ship even if some have been mudflated since. How much it's worth really depends on how much you value space barbie and how many of the still decent traits from the older versions of the ships you're missing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jxforema posted:

I use the Defiant, Intrepid, and Sovereign on various alts, and non-poo poo versions would be nice. I don't give a drat about what's efficient or powerful. As a Trek fan I also feel kind of obligated to have a Connie. :shobon:

Edit: My default new to endgame setup for alts is to grab a bunch of mk 12 phasers off the exchange, phaser relays, slap in the DOMINO (I have the Bajoran interceptor from that event) and Immolating Phaser Lance (the last Mudd bundle I got was the pilot set, and made sure to grab the Deimos), then for traits: Emergency Weapon Cycle, History Will Remember, Calm Before The Storm, and Promise Of Ferocity. I have the relevant ships from the z-store.

And that's an effective enough endgame setup right there for my purposes.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 20, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cythereal posted:

I use the Defiant, Intrepid, and Sovereign on various alts, and non-poo poo versions would be nice. I don't give a drat about what's efficient or powerful. As a Trek fan I also feel kind of obligated to have a Connie. :shobon:

Seriously, get the 10th. I'm constantly using those ships, mostly because they're beyond "pretty good" and into "really drat good" territory and they're iconic and fun to fly. There are also a ton of space barbie options with all the kitbashing. It's an insane value for your zen. There are better individual lockbox and mud ships out there, but I'd only worry about that if you're pushing leaderboards. It's pretty disgusting how powerful you can make a BFAW connie, for example.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously, get the 10th. I'm constantly using those ships, mostly because they're beyond "pretty good" and into "really drat good" territory and they're iconic and fun to fly. There are also a ton of space barbie options with all the kitbashing. It's an insane value for your zen. There are better individual lockbox and mud ships out there, but I'd only worry about that if you're pushing leaderboards. It's pretty disgusting how powerful you can make a BFAW connie, for example.

Yup, that's the plan and why I'm on 17k zen at the moment and creeping closer. The usual discount makes it 19.5k.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Apparently paramount refuses to let anyone use the -A for anything. Most people think it'll be the Salcombe.

And it's highly speculated that one of the mudd ships will be the Crossfield Refit, given that its trait is in such high demand.

:argh:

The Salcombe isn't awful but I'd much rather get the Aegis if it's not the -A.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Obviously its your money, but I'd echo what others have said on 10th Anniversary Bundle. If you like the iconic hero ships, its a great way to get great versions of each of them (they're not always the best versions but there are no real stinkers). And although its a big outlay (which means its not for everyone), you probably get the best bang for buck per $ spent amongst all the bundles.

Hunter Noventa posted:

They apparently said it includes two highly picked ships.

I'd love it to be the Crossfield Refit - as so many high end builds just assume you have it, and its one of the few things you can't just swap out for a cheaper version, it requires tweaking the whole build.

But I'm skeptical it will be. It still sells well - so much so that they actively decided to delay adding it to the Infinity Box a while back, the only time they've messed with the order they added ships to it. Its almost certainly because its such a seller, that they felt there was still money to squeeze from it.

So I'd like it to be the Crossy Refit, but I'd be surprised. I think we will instead get either the Ateleth (Beam Overload uptime trait), the Atlas (DPRM console) or the Mirror Warship (Terran Goodbye trait), plus a space barbie ship, like the California or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tigey posted:

So I'd like it to be the Crossy Refit, but I'd be surprised. I think we will instead get either the Ateleth (Beam Overload uptime trait), the Atlas (DPRM console) or the Mirror Warship (Terran Goodbye trait), plus a space barbie ship, like the California or something.

My guess is that it might be the 26th century dreadnought - the Universe and pals. That's always been a popular pick for space barbie.

As for $, I'm not spending a cent on this poo poo. I simply have a gross overabundance of alts and free time, and have been slowly grinding zen for about a year. The only question is what flavor of space barbie I want - I got the mudd pilot bundle mainly for the t6 Nicor, the Deimos and its immolating phaser lance was simply a nice bonus and I've taken a surprising liking to the Kwejian's look and animations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tigey posted:

Obviously its your money, but I'd echo what others have said on 10th Anniversary Bundle. If you like the iconic hero ships, its a great way to get great versions of each of them (they're not always the best versions but there are no real stinkers). And although its a big outlay (which means its not for everyone), you probably get the best bang for buck per $ spent amongst all the bundles.

They apparently said it includes two highly picked ships.

I'd love it to be the Crossfield Refit - as so many high end builds just assume you have it, and its one of the few things you can't just swap out for a cheaper version, it requires tweaking the whole build.

But I'm skeptical it will be. It still sells well - so much so that they actively decided to delay adding it to the Infinity Box a while back, the only time they've messed with the order they added ships to it. Its almost certainly because its such a seller, that they felt there was still money to squeeze from it.

The Atlas console has fallen off a bit in recent months.

Given that Season 5 of Disco hits soon, I'm betting it's some kind of Disco-related bundle. And then we'll get a Lower Decks-related one when the next season of that starts.

Either way, I probably won't go for it. I don't like that the Crossfield Refit's trait has so much gravity that every build revolves around it. I've got enough stuff that basically anything I buy is for fun or for looks. I can survive most elite queues, that's good enough for me.

I'll probably pick up the 12th and the Legendary Battlecruiser Bundle with the next bundle sale, and I already have the Lexington and half the traits in the latter. Though I'll admit the news of a Dyson Bundle is interesting to hear, so its honestly tempting to save for whatever is in that instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The UTC is a lie. :( (It went down at 5 PDT so 1200 UTC, I missed today's azure)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, Star Trek is great. You just need to embrace the fact that like 30% of it is shlock and a solid 10% of it is pure poo poo. But there is some great poo poo in there.

To quote Futurama: "You know. 1966? 79 episodes, about 30 good ones?"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 20, 2024

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Diluminati has news about the new Mudds' bundle:

Mudd's Choicepack of Dread Through the Ages
23rd Century Dreadnought
26th Century Dreadnought
32nd Century Merian Command Science Dreadnought

Account-wide DPRM is going to trigger a lot of doomerism, but as Hunter pointed out, it hasn't been meta for awhile now. Still a great console, but there are enough better ones now that really high-end builds aren't running it.

The 26th century dreads have never really been meta, but are really popular space barbie picks. The merian is obviously there just to fit the theme.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

g0del posted:

23rd Century Dreadnought
26th Century Dreadnought

Account-wide DPRM is going to trigger a lot of doomerism, but as Hunter pointed out, it hasn't been meta for awhile now. Still a great console, but there are enough better ones now that really high-end builds aren't running it.

The 26th century dreads have never really been meta, but are really popular space barbie picks. The merian is obviously there just to fit the theme.

Well that's one I can skip, thankfully. I actually enjoy the look of the KDF and Rom 23rd century dreads, but they aren't worth splurging on a mudd's bundle on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well that's one I can skip, thankfully. I actually enjoy the look of the KDF and Rom 23rd century dreads, but they aren't worth splurging on a mudd's bundle on.

Honestly all the 23rd century Dreads are pretty cool. The Atlas is a pretty neat for a TOS era ship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm putting this on the list to potentially get someday, but not worth delaying my current plans.

If they'd put the 26th century dread in a pack with, say, the Tadaari and the Crossfield Refit, call it a temporal war bundle or whatever, that would have been really tempting.

Although worth bearing in mind: if the choice packs work like previous ones have, and it's still pick three, that's seven ships for one mudd bundle.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 20, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

g0del posted:

23rd Century Dreadnought
26th Century Dreadnought

Officially announced.

It's seven ships in one mudd bundle, including a very good console.

Definitely going on my list to buy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Officially announced.

It's seven ships in one mudd bundle, including a very good console.

Definitely going on my list to buy.

Which console?

Even 50% off it's still 15k zen which eeeeh, probably pass.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Which console?

Even 50% off it's still 15k zen which eeeeh, probably pass.

On the Atlas. As the thread discussed above, it's no longer meta for the very top builds, but it's a welcome account-wide add for anyone not on that level of the meta.

And 15k zen, eh, averages to a bit over 2k per ship since two of the three picks are themselves 3-packs. If you're like me and basically free to pick ships on a whim, it's not bad. drat tempted to get it now, in fact, but I think I'll keep going.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are Epic Phoenix Tokens new to Mudd's?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

wdarkk posted:

They've shown up in Mudd Bundles before, just not usually worth it for the price.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cythereal posted:

On the Atlas. As the thread discussed above, it's no longer meta for the very top builds, but it's a welcome account-wide add for anyone not on that level of the meta.

And 15k zen, eh, averages to a bit over 2k per ship since two of the three picks are themselves 3-packs. If you're like me and basically free to pick ships on a whim, it's not bad. drat tempted to get it now, in fact, but I think I'll keep going.

Gotcha. If it’s from the atlas I’m pretty sure I already have it lurking in my bank.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

Previous Mudd's bundles with epic tokens only gave one per choice. Assuming it isn't a typo in the announcement, this will be the first time they're giving two per choice. That would make this particular bundle by far the cheapest way to get epic phoenix tokens.

I'm not suggesting that people should buy it for the epic tokens. Just pointing out how ridiculously expensive epic phoenix tokens are.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Good thing they haven't added anything to the phoenix tokens for a couple of years now :smith:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I can confess that I didn't really believe how rare it is to get a legendary token, because one of my first ~ten or so phoenix boxes was one and I used it to get a full-sized T6 carrier for my only character who was a Fed captain to try that playstyle out. Well, here I am three years later, and that is still the only one I have ever seen. Really should have used it to pick DOMINO.

I know it is a legacy issue, but I still find it ridiculous that there isn't an option for a fed captain to get a carrier unless you play when one or T6 token is given, or do the year thing, or luck into getting a legendary phoenix.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I remember someone did testing on the testing server and the drop rate is roughly 1/1000.

So going by that, it'll take around 700 boxes to have a roughly ~50% chance of getting a legendary token and that works out to be 560 Zen (roughly 68m EC) at a 500:1 exchange rate. They are rare but also not that expensive (relatively) as long as you're not unlucky. I still have never gotten one and thus keep waiting for my DOMINO.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
There have been a few carriers given away as part of the winter or anniversary event, but once you miss them, you're pretty much hosed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Hmmm. Looks like the dil exchange has broken again, been a few days now since anything moved.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

They finally patched out the ability to solo AFK the Azure Nebula TFO. Someone in in-game chat was freaking out about it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

They finally patched out the ability to solo AFK the Azure Nebula TFO. Someone in in-game chat was freaking out about it.

lol that sucks.

Is it even semi-afk'able now or time to just pug it?

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
This may or may not be true, others are reporting it's still fine.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Can someone explain the purpose of solo'ing vs sitting in a queued Azure? Same duration, same rewards, right?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Well that explains why in my recent Azure Nebula rescue there were two complete AFKs. I guess it's still people logging in so metrics beat actual engagement.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Pioneer42 posted:

Can someone explain the purpose of solo'ing vs sitting in a queued Azure? Same duration, same rewards, right?

You can go do something else for 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I mean, I park at one of the nodes, spam my ability bar and hit space bar idlely while I read and browse whatever on my other monitor, only tabbing back when the next pack of idiots warps in after 90 seconds or whatever. It's not exactly difficult or requiring of a person's full attention.