Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol that sucks.

Is it even semi-afk'able now or time to just pug it?

apparently completing the first optional objective (freeing ships worth 7 points) and then afking still works

edit: its just freeing ships worth 7 points, dont even have to complete any objective

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Edit: oops I had been completing it by not doing anything, but it didn't work this time.

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 26, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of phoenix, box event starting on Thursday.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Some people have reported freeing a single ship, but towards the end and having that work for solo. Honestly it takes the same amount of time either way.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Can someone tell me what the Fek'ihri Torment Engine console is useful for ? Right now I have one slotted on a Temporal Sci ship that uses 4 Temporal powers & Gravity Well as the primary damage powers.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

MREBoy posted:

Can someone tell me what the Fek'ihri Torment Engine console is useful for ? Right now I have one slotted on a Temporal Sci ship that uses 4 Temporal powers & Gravity Well as the primary damage powers.

It's a massive damage boost to any DOT ability of which you should have multiple. It seems pretty straightforward?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
The wording of part of the description is kind of wierd IMO. "non-Hazard Damage Over Time" sounds like a contradiction in terms to me and the proc part of the console is linked to this.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
This post is from 3 years ago but it basically explains everything about the console. If you're running a Sci ship with a Deteriorating Secondary Deflector, that's where you'll get your procs from.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/lhbvba/revisiting_exotics_10_the_flames_of_grethor/

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Hmmm. Looks like the dil exchange has broken again, been a few days now since anything moved.
It's not broken, there's just a backlog again. The backlog was only a few hours long or so, but then Cryptic announced the new Mudd's DPRM bundle and people started rushing to convert their dil to zen.

Just list your dil at 500 and wait. It'll go through eventually.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Man it's weird seeing all these Merians around. Just got out of an Azure Nebula where it was me and four of the things.

Is the Merian really any good, or is it just people playing with their new toys from the Mudd bundle?

I think I've seen a grand total of one in serious use before this event.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
It’s an ok torpedo boat, but not better than eagle. Not sure why there are so many though

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

just people playing with their new toys from the Mudd bundle

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So the artisanal sound effects were back for the April 1st. Did I miss anything significant?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Der Kyhe posted:

So the artisanal sound effects were back for the April 1st. Did I miss anything significant?

Just the tease of the fighting game Star Trek: Unleashed.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
It would be funny if cryptic was allowed to make any games

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah that's got to be a bitter pill for them. Despite keeping up the public façade (with their latest roadmap and CEO chat), they're really on borrowed time until their games are transferred over to DECA, and they are shut down and all out of a job.

And as much as I poo poo on Cryptic, this time its really not their fault. They along with many other developers were cruising along fine and bringing in steady and healthy profits, but this wasn't enough for Embracer, who cocked up massively trying to secure a hyper lucrative acquisition by the Saudis and found themselves massively overextended when it fell through.

Now them and many other developers are paying the price for Embracer executives' staggering greed and incompetence, by having their success used against them - their flagship games/products are being stripped from them, and handed to developers who will work for cheaper salaries, whilst they are shut down. There's a real unfairness to this. :capitalism:

I expect the quality of updates/bugfixes to decline in the coming year - as more people jump ship while they can, those remaining have zero motivation, and DECA are still getting their people up to speed on STO. Hopefully it will pick up after they get more experience with the game.

I kind of pity Cryptic to be honest. At least STO is carrying on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not hugely optimistic - what we know about STO's complete clusterfuck of a codebase and design and slapped-together nature is the kind of scenario where institutional knowledge and experience is critical to being able to maintain it. A full transfer of developers is the kind of thing that can kill a program like that.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I'm not hugely optimistic - what we know about STO's complete clusterfuck of a codebase and design and slapped-together nature is the kind of scenario where institutional knowledge and experience is critical to being able to maintain it. A full transfer of developers is the kind of thing that can kill a program like that.

Eventually, STO will end as it began: every ship around ESD and DS9 exploding constantly

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It is somewhat amusing how this game apparently still makes just enough money to be worth shuffling around but nowhere near enough to keep whatever C-tier company currently holding it afloat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Asimo posted:

It is somewhat amusing how this game apparently still makes just enough money to be worth shuffling around but nowhere near enough to keep whatever C-tier company currently holding it afloat.

You can keep companies afloat like that. There are a handful of companies (names escaping me right now, but googlable) who basically exist to buy MMOs that aren't pulling in enough for the original publisher to bother. They put them on a maintenance cycle with some light content updates here and there and coast with the MMO as basically a low maintenance, somewhat passive income stream. edit: did the googling, Broadsword is one of the ones I was thinking about. They're the people who run SW: Old Republic, Dark Age of Camelot, and Ultima Online these days.

Which is exactly why Embracer wanted to pick a bunch of them up, because they have super reliable income streams and it's a great way to pad out your portfolio and create a base of consistent monthly income. None of these do crazy numbers any more, but they all have fan bases who will reliably cough up for subs or MTX or whatever your monetization of choice is.

What they aren't is a sexy blockbuster that is going to make your next quarterly earnings call shine, and right now the fuckwits at Embracer are stuck selling the loving plumbing to pay their credit card bills.

God gently caress Embracer so hard. There are so many interesting projects that were being done by small and medium studios that we'll never see because they tripped over their own dick and needed to cut every expense imaginable after their Oil-rich sugar daddies didn't come through for them.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yup. New Deus Ex game was under development and cancelled - plus a whole bunch of others.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Considering that the Star Trek adventure game didn't do so well and Stellaris Star Trek Infinite was taken behind the shed immediately after launch the STO is again the only game in town to spend money on a Star Trek-themed game.

It is truly a marvel how uneven the track record with ST games are, and how STO has managed to stay afloat for more than a decade, even being the only source of new "canonish" stuff at one point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Der Kyhe posted:

even being the only source of new "canonish" stuff at one point.

To the point that a fair few STO-original ships have shown up in the modern shows!

Alas the poor Enterprise-F. :(

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Considering that the Star Trek adventure game didn't do so well and Stellaris Star Trek Infinite was taken behind the shed immediately after launch the STO is again the only game in town to spend money on a Star Trek-themed game.

It is truly a marvel how uneven the track record with ST games are, and how STO has managed to stay afloat for more than a decade, even being the only source of new "canonish" stuff at one point.

I need to pick up that ST adventure game next time it's on sale on PS. It really wasn't helped by being locked in Epic jail.

Infinate was DOA just because there's an extremely well done Stellaris mod that covers pretty much the entire expanse of Trek history with a jaw droppingly detailed galaxy map and just insane levels of lore nerd poo poo. Which is, you know, free. If it had an opportunity to shine it would have been streamlining some of that stuff to make it appealing to people who don't have Memory Alpha bookmarked and really overhaul a bit of the Stellaris backend to make a ST game feel more immediate and less zoomed out to a billion miles above everything, but in the end it just felt like a lesser version of the mod.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Epic exclusive is the kiss of death. Even when it's a game I'm super excited for, I'll just wait until it's on steam. If it never comes out on steam, well I just won't buy it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eimi posted:

Epic exclusive is the kiss of death. Even when it's a game I'm super excited for, I'll just wait until it's on steam. If it never comes out on steam, well I just won't buy it.

It isn't even the exclusive, exactly, although I'm right there with you on team "gently caress Epic." Epic is also just piss gently caress awful at advertising their exclusives and making it clear that a game is available for purchase at all. I can't count the number of times I heard about something coming to Steam and went "oh wow that was out?"

I'm a goony video game nerd who watches poo poo like industry talking heads on Youtube for fun. I usually have a pretty good idea of when things I'm interested in are coming out, or at least that they are a thing that is being produced. But Epic is just this black loving hole that no information escapes from. That ST adventure game is a good example. I found out about it on some YT channel that was going over upcoming stuff like two years ago, and then never heard of it again. I only became aware that it launched because I saw it crop up in the PS store.

I don't know if people don't bother advertising once they get Epic's exclusivity paycheck or if there's something else going on, but holy poo poo you just never hear about the EGS exclusives that aren't a borderlands game or something similarly high profile.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Stellaris Star Trek Infinite was taken behind the shed immediately after launch

More like before launch.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Infinate was DOA just because there's an extremely well done Stellaris mod that covers pretty much the entire expanse of Trek history with a jaw droppingly detailed galaxy map and just insane levels of lore nerd poo poo. Which is, you know, free.

Infinite might have had a chance if the devs had had a chance to actually finish it and bugfix it, but the word of mouth was so bad at launch everyone who didn't preorder just didn't buy even if they'd been interested.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 2, 2024

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

People - including me - expected Infinite to be at least somewhat like a Paradox game, that the devs would continue to invest in and develop over time. Obviously not on the same level as their main games, but certainly more than a one and done.

Unfortunately it wasn't developed by Paradox, but by Nimble Giant - who are a much smaller studio. So instead we got something similar to the reboot of Master of Orion that they did from a few years ago - an enjoyable enough game with a MOO/Trek feel, but an otherwise quite shallow experience with not a huge amount below the surface, and no further development (although MOO got an expansion I guess)... They just have a different resources and philosophy/approach to development - maybe if it had sold well we might have got something, but it didn't, so they refused to invest further in it.

Its a shame as I really liked the premise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tigey posted:

People - including me - expected Infinite to be at least somewhat like a Paradox game, that the devs would continue to invest in and develop over time. Obviously not on the same level as their main games, but certainly more than a one and done.

Unfortunately it wasn't developed by Paradox, but by Nimble Giant - who are a much smaller studio. So instead we got something similar to the reboot of Master of Orion that they did from a few years ago - an enjoyable enough game with a MOO/Trek feel, but an otherwise quite shallow experience with not a huge amount below the surface, and no further development (although MOO got an expansion I guess)... They just have a different resources and philosophy/approach to development - maybe if it had sold well we might have got something, but it didn't, so they refused to invest further in it.

If you dig on the premise you absolutely owe it to yourself to try out Star Trek: New Civilisations. (edit: yes, that's how they spell it).

It's a bit kitchen-sink in its design philosophy, and it will loving murder your CPU if you play on the gigantic map with all the empires, but it's bar none the best Trek strategy game I've ever seen. The people working on it are obsessively devoted fans, but the kind who also throw in the weird, dumb stuff because hey, you gotta be able to laugh at this poo poo.

Frankly with how differently the empires play it's like ten games in one. The Federation and the Borg are two far extremes, doubly so when you think about how they had a working assimilation empire before Paradox had that feature in mainline Stellaris. Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc. all play much more like a traditional Stellaris empire, but they've all got some fun extra mechanics rolling around. The Ferengi are their own weird thing that I've never messed with.

Also it's hilarious how you really start to understand why the Federation's neighbors all hate or hated it at one point because of how you just roll around diplo-annexing people and becoming this unstoppable blob. The old Quark quote comparing the Federation to the Borg is extremely loving apt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tigey posted:

Unfortunately it wasn't developed by Paradox, but by Nimble Giant - who are a much smaller studio. So instead we got something similar to the reboot of Master of Orion that they did from a few years ago - an enjoyable enough game with a MOO/Trek feel, but an otherwise quite shallow experience with not a huge amount below the surface, and no further development (although MOO got an expansion I guess)...

Ongoing development was planned, including I believe sketches of a Dominion expansion. Sales were just dead enough that Paradox cut their losses and killed it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tigey posted:

Yeah, everyone knows that Paradox game always needs 2-3 DLCs to be more than a framework in which stuff will be added later. And yes, I also read that Dominion expansion was the first planned "big DLC" that never got made.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I was bad and ultimately chose to pick up the new Mudd bundle rather than waiting for the 10th anniversary. At the end of the day, pretty space princess trumps all. And I realized something about the Atlas. It looks kind of like a Connie, but has double nacelles in a squared-off joined housing. The saucer sits directly on top of the engineering section, almost no forward lean on the neck. Wide secondary hull that encloses the deflector from the sides instead of putting the dish out on its own. Caved out rear on the secondary hull.

That's no Connie, that's a goddamn TOS-ified Excelsior.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I would have said that the Atlas is more of a Matt Jefferies-esque take on the command battlecruisers, which have a lot of Excelsior-inspired elements. And of course those ships were inspired by the kludged-together "Typhoon battleship" from the game's launch.

Still, it's a pity we're never going to get that TOS movie refit version of the Atlas Thomas Marrone was tinkering around with.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah, it looks like a TOS version of the CBCs to me

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

So, I was bad and ultimately chose to pick up the new Mudd bundle rather than waiting for the 10th anniversary. At the end of the day, pretty space princess trumps all. And I realized something about the Atlas. It looks kind of like a Connie, but has double nacelles in a squared-off joined housing. The saucer sits directly on top of the engineering section, almost no forward lean on the neck. Wide secondary hull that encloses the deflector from the sides instead of putting the dish out on its own. Caved out rear on the secondary hull.

That's no Connie, that's a goddamn TOS-ified Excelsior.

And they got you, Legendary sale (including the 10th bundle) starts today.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

And they got you, Legendary sale (including the 10th bundle) starts today.

:drat:

I shouldn't laugh, but I'm laughing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
-_-

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly? If you didn't totally shoot your wad and only need like :10bux: worth of zen to top up and get it, I'd bite the bullet and do that. I'm normally 100% on team no spending money on STO, but it's a good enough pack that it's worth throwing a few bucks at it and the sale only comes around once a year or so.

But if you drained your wallet dry, whelp. Not worth what they actually charge for it if you're not playing with space funbux.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly? If you didn't totally shoot your wad and only need like :10bux: worth of zen to top up and get it, I'd bite the bullet and do that. I'm normally 100% on team no spending money on STO, but it's a good enough pack that it's worth throwing a few bucks at it and the sale only comes around once a year or so.

But if you drained your wallet dry, whelp. Not worth what they actually charge for it if you're not playing with space funbux.

Didn't completely drain me dry, but set me back quite a bit. Absolutely not worth spending real money on this game.

It happens and I'm not mad, just vaguely annoyed. I just wanted pretty space princess poo poo, and the Valkis has been one of those ships I've been wanting for ages but never convinced myself to spend a yearly meta reward on it. The Atlas console is a very nice account-wide bonus.

Honestly there's only one other lockbox ship I'd probably buy a Mudd bundle for, so unless I'm spectacularly unlucky I'm not really bothered.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, red alert starting today for the usual rewards.