Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

just picked this up again after

(checks watch)

twelve years? gently caress. nine if you count the last time I logged in and played, but that was for all of like a day or two, mostly to find out that the mission I left off on in 2012 was no longer in the game and thus bugged out and wouldn't let me complete it

and I appear to have completely lost all understanding of how to play (not that I was any good at it before)

and on top of that, I'm probably woefully undergeared or something - not like I understand what any of this poo poo in my (mostly full) inventory is

I'm mostly here for loving around in space and doing PVE missions, I don't want to do PVP or pay money for digital coolkid spaceships or whatever, but I am loving getting punched in the face by the mission I left off on all those years ago and there's clearly buttons I should be pushing or stuff I need to be buying or whatever and I'm not because I mostly live in FF14 these days and should not be in command of anything more complicated than a microwave oven

I'm level 34 and I'm supposed to blow up the IRW intrakhu, but I roll up to it and I get shot in the face with like five torpedoes and my poo poo explodes before my attacks even begin weakening their shield segments

idk, it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I'd say 'show or describe your ship'.

Fighting Romulans means you've got to have a way to break tractor beams, so you can dodge their multi-heavy torpedo attack. Failing that, Romulan heavy torpedoes are targetable and can be shot down.

I was afraid of that - I have no idea if I'm fast enough to swap targets and shoot down the torpedoes, especially when there's a lot of them. I think my science officer has a button that lets me cancel tractors, tho.

Lemme log back in and see what I can put together of what I've got.

I imagine you'll be able to see the holes in what's there better than I.

Preechr posted:

You also have to assign your skill points, because 12 years ago that whole system didn’t exist.

E:v yeah I would just start a new character. The new tutorial is a decent piece of content that will teach you how to use the new (to you) systems and give you a set of boffs that don’t suck, and all the early missions are different now from what you played (except rescuing the freighter).

I did at least assign my skill points, because there was a blinking dingus in the top corner of the screen telling me to, so there's that.

Might start over if this is unrecoverable in some way, but I feel dumb just wasting the progress I had made. We'll see.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

where are you even supposed get your equipment? the equipment desk at spacedock has mk 7s and mk 9s, I'm currently paying through the nose for stuff on the exchange, and they don't even have enough mk 8 dual heavies there for me to fill my front set

e: or it could be some kind of a glitch, as it's refusing to show any items at all, hm

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Don't worry about it, just keep playing the story missions and slot in whatever they give as rewards until hitting the lvl65 gap and having random collection of mk12 for gear. Then focus on stuff that gives you dilithium ore which can be refined to dill at the pace of 8k per day (3rd page on inventory) and spend the dill on phoenix boxes and the universal upgrade modules which come from those. Then its time to choose:

-a ship type you like most (you get one T5U for free, or some giveaway code might unlock T6, or you might get legendary phoenix box),
-a weapons set for it (few best ones are in reputation system which unlocks around lvl 60)
-a component set for it (again, one of the universally best ones is reputation unlock)
-use those phoenix upgrade kits you bought with dilithium to upgrade everything to lvl 15, rarity or bonus attributes do not matter yet so don't burn them on getting the rarity up.
-buy Omega attack pattern, alpha attack pattern, fire at will, energy to weapons crew skills etc. to match your set, remember to promote your crew to commanders.

...And you have pretty much made all 99% of the game content easy. Similarly, you can get top-tier ground gear from reputations or missions, so just keep playing.

I can't keep playing because I keep dying

e: this is about how every attempt has gone thus far - I now mostly have mk viii poo poo installed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro804DTAeX8

hexwren fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 18, 2024